Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Hawks posters too young to remember Jarryd Roughead and Xavier Ellis?
Nah, I think it’s purely self interest, there’s a distinct top group and if they shuffle back one or two spots they’ll miss out.
I think the top group also compounds further, as arguably top two pure mids in the draft and McKercher and Sanders.

Cavanagh: "a deal for North Melbourne to trade up for West Coast’s pick 1 won’t be able to be thrashed out until a potential draft assistance package and free agency compensation for Ben McKay are sorted out for the Kangaroos."

It seems like we are prepared to give up some capital to get pick one.

I am wondering whether this line suggests WC won't accept pick 2 and port's first for 1.

I am also getting a little anxious about wondering whether the decision to wait until after the Mckay compo is confirmed suggests that we intend on using 2 and 3 in the trade.

I am also getting a little anxious about wondering whether the decision to wait until after the Mckay compo is confirmed suggests that we intend on using 2 and 3 in the trade.
Maybe we're obsessed with McKercher and we won't commit to the deal until we are sure that we are getting him, as well.

It seems like we are prepared to give up some capital to get pick one.

I am wondering whether this line suggests WC won't accept pick 2 and port's first for 1.

I wouldn't necessarily think so. If it were me probably more about whether we also have pick 3 and Sanders guaranteed before considering a trade involving 2.

We don’t need Reid or Sanders. Or any player that involves decreasing a draft hand we worked hard to increase.

I don’t know why we don’t just take picks 2, 3 & 16 to the draft.( it looks pretty clear we will get band one for McKay)

If the weagles want Curtin instead of Reid, we shouldn’t have to offer up a draft pick so they can save face.

If the weagles want Reid then they got him.

Regardless, we could just take say…McKercher and Duursma with 2&3 and take the best KDP available at 16
Not a disaster. A long way from it.

If North can’t live in a universe where they don’t get Reid, they should not have fielded anything close to our best team against GC
They made the right call beating the suns.
The club needed it. The players needed it.
The supporters sure as hell needed it.

We don’t need Reid.

I suspect the Weagles are making noises about taking Reid and forcing a substantial trade because they somehow know that North will not be drafting Curtin under any circumstances. Wheels within wheels.

We need to hold our nerve and leave them with their precious, single draft pick in the first round.

And leave us with our 3(or 4 if we aren’t rogered by the AFL over Sanders)

We don’t need Reid or Sanders. Or any player that involves decreasing a draft hand we worked hard to increase.

I don’t know why we don’t just take picks 2, 3 & 16 to the draft.( it looks pretty clear we will get band one for McKay)

If the weagles want Curtin instead of Reid, we shouldn’t have to offer up a draft pick so they can save face.

If the weagles want Reid then they got him.

Regardless, we could just take say…McKercher and Duursma with 2&3 and take the best KDP available at 16
Not a disaster. A long way from it.

If North can’t live in a universe where they don’t get Reid, they should not have fielded anything close to our best team against GC
They made the right call beating the suns.
The club needed it. The players needed it.
The supporters sure as hell needed it.

We don’t need Reid.

I suspect the Weagles are making noises about taking Reid and forcing a substantial trade because they somehow know that North will not be drafting Curtin under any circumstances. Wheels within wheels.

We need to hold our nerve and leave them with their precious, single draft pick in the first round.

And leave us with our 3(or 4 if we aren’t rogered by the AFL over Sanders)

Pretty much agree with everything you said except i'd rather use pick3 on Sanders than Duursma if Sanders assistance is off limits to us.

Regardless of how the Ryley Sanders situation/priority pick situation pans out, if we come out of the draft with a haul like this:

Curtin at 2
Watson at 3
Collard/Murphy/Edwards at 15

I will be extremely content.

I think I'd even take Watson, Sanders, O'Sullivan or Caddy (as much as I have my doubts) over Duursma.
After that VM vs VC game I thought he was the real deal but I don't think the hype quite matches his performances.
It might be watching his brother be underwhelming but I also don't see the Burgoyne comparison Twomey is running with.
I'm not sure he's "silk" or a great speed/endurance athlete.

With ball in hand Watson was as incisive and damaging as ever, but he has been struggling a little to find the footy and hit the scoreboard in recent weeks. With his Ranges team progressing through to the prelim final, he'll have another chance to remind everyone of his elite talent this weekend.

Still don't see it. Falls over way too much, sometimes trying to get a free, sometimes under a bit of heat. Quick over 10 or so, but doesn't show any real sustained running power. Thinks he's a better kick than he is, so consistently ignores the easy ones and tries far, far too much.

Has some tricks, sure. But there are plenty of lads with tricks in every draft.

There is no chance North pick him early. None.

Still don't see it. Falls over way too much, sometimes trying to get a free, sometimes under a bit of heat. Quick over 10 or so, but doesn't show any real sustained running power. Thinks he's a better kick than he is, so consistently ignores the easy ones and tries far, far too much.

I'm not sure I'm drawing all of those conclusions from that particular footage, but you may have seen more, so fair enough.

The point of interest I took out from this clip was his inability to make a 45 metre set shot, and then the out of bounds from a round the corner effort from the pocket.

I didn't fall over marvelling at his set shot kicking, put it that way.

I reckon Lance Collard might be a better prospect than Watson. Bit more size at 185cm as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Lance Collard might be a better prospect than Watson. Bit more size at 185cm as well.

Delean looks a prospect too, I like Cal's write up - he just keeps kicking goals. 181cm and 73kg.

Delean kicks goals. When it comes down to his performances over the past three years, the South Australian jack-in-the-box has shown a propensity to just keep hitting the scoreboard and kicking goals. He had two four-goal games in South Australia's under-18 championships, but has been doing it for years – he's kicked 43 goals this season at different levels for South Adelaide, he kicked 28 goals last year as a bottom-ager and as a 16-year-old he kicked 35 in 13 games in the under-18s side. As a smaller forward he flies for his marks and at ground level can create a chance from nothing.

I'm not sure I'm drawing all of those conclusions from that particular footage, but you may have seen more, so fair enough.

The point of interest I took out from this clip was his inability to make a 45 metre set shot, and then the out of bounds from a round the corner effort from the pocket.

I didn't fall over marvelling at his set shot kicking, put it that way.

Ive watched everything available and a few full games. One at school and a few from the Coates league. He's even more underwhelming in longer form.

A few people in the pathway don't think he'll get picked inside 15.

I’m with you. They call him the ‘wiz’ or the ‘magician’. If you assume the YouTube highlights packages represent his best and showcase his so called ‘magical’ skills then I’m heading off to have a look at some Winston Abraham videos for a reality check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we don't get access to Sanders, I wouldn't complain one bit if we called out his name with pick 2 or 3.
Realisticly, how early could he go?

Assume WC take Reid, we bid on Walter, we've got 3 and 4. Who'd be in the mix? Curtin, McKercher....Sanders? Would he be ahead of Duursma?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Realisticly, how early could he go?

Assume WC take Reid, we bid on Walter, we've got 3 and 4. Who'd be in the mix? Curtin, McKercher....Sanders? Would he be ahead of Duursma?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be surprised if we had him ahead of Curtin and if we don't get access to him, wouldn't be a shock to call our his name along with Mckercher. I think the club has been licking their lips at the chance of pairing those 2.

I think I'd even take Watson, Sanders, O'Sullivan or Caddy (as much as I have my doubts) over Duursma.
After that VM vs VC game I thought he was the real deal but I don't think the hype quite matches his performances.
It might be watching his brother be underwhelming but I also don't see the Burgoyne comparison Twomey is running with.
I'm not sure he's "silk" or a great speed/endurance athlete.
I like Duursma but medium forward is maybe the lowest area of need on our list. It's going to be hard enough to fit Zurhaar, Ford, Curtis and George in one side as we'd probably like to next season

I'll be honest, I was expecting more from Freijah at the championships, but I think his talent is undeniable. I feel the same way about Clay Hall from WA too. Big bodied 190cm mids who can cover the ground like those two are very unique prospects in modern football. When you combine that with their flexibility to play in multiple positions it really does their selections appealling.

In my most recent rankings I had:

12: Wilson
15: Murphy
16: Freijah
18: Hall
19: Windsor

I have a top 6-8 that are a class about the rest, then from that group down to 20-27 is a next tier of player. All of Freijah, Wilson, Murphy and Windsor are in that next tier. I'm pretty certain that in that second tier there will be plenty of players that end up playing 200+ games.
Freijah will be a gun, will smash the combine, one of the highest ceiling in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back