Preview 2023 Rd 18 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Saturday July 15 4:35PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Tom De Koning
OUT: Matthew Kennedy (knee), Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated into the 22

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Jordan BoydMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:David CuninghamHarry McKayJack Martin
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Silvagni
Emergencies:Paddy DowOllie HollandsCaleb Marchbank
Jesse Motlop

talk about a hiding to nothing............we win, we only beat a shell of a side, we lose, how bad are we going, can't beat a reserves team.......footy........

The Port board is even funnier.

Before team selections it was “Rest Dixon, JHF, both have been average anyways, we don’t even need a ruck to beat these losers”…then the teams are announced confirming no Dixon, JHF, Burton dropped…nek minnit “we’re gift wrapping you a win, at least Lycett is playing to stop TDK”. Spare me.

The reality is both teams have important players out but go in to the game in good form albeit Ports form has been over a more sustained period, and both teams will be hoping like buggery to win. No excuses once the game is done and the four points decided. May the best team win.

I didn't have Dow and Hewett far apart given we probably need to cover for the blocks of Kennedy and not just the quick hands, but I overlooked him in my suggestions in favour of the exciting form of Cowan. In the end he's made it in, and sadly Dow might be sub again, though probably Hollands. The rest makes sense, and we're probably going to see Marchbank get a game.

On the Port side of things, people aren't looking at the changes properly:

Lord for Dixon - not the change you want to be making, but ensures Finlayson and Marshall play forward the entire game, and alongside SPP that pressures Marchbank or McGovern in combination with a rampant midfield
Burgoyne for Burton - rewarding form and a distribution upgrade off half-back, Burton may not be the most physical defender, but Jase is still a rake of a kid
Jonas for McKenzie - like for like defensive upgrade
Duursma* for Rioli - athletically not like for like, but both opportunists who can surprise aerially
Mead for Horne-Francis - it's a downgrade, but will play a similar contested style in a mid-forward split
Lycett for Hayes - like for like ruck upgrade

3 forced changes aside, this is squad rotation and utilisation at its finest, and something we should have learned a long time ago. Keep in mind Duursma could easily wind up in another role on the night as well.

I really hope we've got a bonafide plan for winning this game through a balance of attack and defence, and a plan for smartly resting some players the week after. If we don't, we're going to get hit like a freight train from then on, and we'll have nothing left in the tank.
Lord for Dixon - not the change you want to be making, but ensures Finlayson and Marshall play forward the entire game, and alongside SPP that pressures Marchbank or McGovern in combination with a rampant midfield big problem for Port, Dixon, even if not in stellar form, scares defenders....Lord is a twig. Ditto Marshall.
Burgoyne for Burton - rewarding form and a distribution upgrade off half-back, Burton may not be the most physical defender, but Jase is still a rake of a kid Ridiculous to say this is an upgrade. Burton, with McKenzie, is one of their main ball movers out of D50. Putting an 11 gamer in for a 130 gamer....
Jonas for McKenzie - like for like defensive upgrade Major, major downgrade. Find me a Port supporter who agrees with your assessment here and I'll send $65k your way. McKenzie is their man defensively (With Aliir).
Duursma* for Rioli - athletically not like for like, but both opportunists who can surprise aerially Duursma hasn't played since round 7, injured constantly. At his best a terrific player, right now....hmmm. kicked 3 goals this season. Not a like for like. Rioli has kicked 16 goals in 12 games.
Mead for Horne-Francis - it's a downgrade, but will play a similar contested style in a mid-forward split Massive downgrade, JHF is more often than not Port's spark...Mead only 5 games this year....averaged 8 disposals a game....
Lycett for Hayes - like for like ruck upgrade Yes, but Lycett hasn't played any footy in a month, knee injury, and was all but not ready for this week.

"line in the sand" game if we cant get PA this week, we are drinking our own bathwater.

The hype surrounding Carlton following three wins against medicore sides is way over the top.

We have been convincingly beaten by every top-8 side we have played this year apart from an undermanned Geelong.

I think everyone can see the potential which fuels the hype.. its about damn time this club lived up to it.

The hype surrounding Carlton following three wins against medicore sides is way over the top.

We have been convincingly beaten by every top-8 side we have played this year apart from an undermanned Geelong.

I think everyone can see the potential which fuels the hype.. its about damn time this club lived up to it.
exactly GIF

Words can barely describe how ironic this comment is given Houlihan played most of his last 3 seasons in the midfield, with some time - even the odd full game - up forward. Went from HB to wing to on-ball at the end.
Nah, was primarily used as a defensive forward in 09/10 ('11 was a write-off) with the odd game in the middle. Played on the oppo's best defender most weeks and was in AA form in the position in 2010 before injuries hit. Did jobs on Enright, Wirrpanda, Dempsey, Gilbee and destroyed Sam Fisher multiple times. Your original quote and point that I called you out on was that he "finished his career as a small defender". You've already contradicted yourself there by now claiming he played most of his last seasons in the midfield, which is also incorrect.

Also see your tactic of changing the subject to try and win the argument by closing it down when your weird logic gets challenged. You do it a lot on here.

Geelong may have been underdone from a late start/winning the GF but I wouldn't exactly call them undermanned.
Missing from their GF team - Selwood, Kolodjashnij, Duncan, Henry?
Plus they had inclusions of Bruhn, Henry and Bowes from trades.

Does this go back the otherway that teams beat us only beat us undermanned? Because we are missing Williams and earlier in the season Walsh, Cuningham and Martin plus whoever else was on our injury list?

Sure we need to prove ourselves against top 8 sides (especially ones in our bracket Dogs, Dons, Saints etc.) but doesn't mean just automatically discrediting anything positive that we do either.

And yet there is no question the last three weeks have been starkly different from the preceding 14 games?

We are now a team 'in form' and our 'stars' are also in good form.

It's the stars who win you the close games - Cripps, Walsh and Cerra all playing really well, ditto Weiters & Saad etc. down back and Charlie and Harry up forward.

Equally important, our 2nd tier guys have also stepped up and are making meaningful contributions - the likes of Boyd, Owies, Martin, Fogarty and Cuners - are far more experienced than the guys they replaced.

And a few of these guys are really hard at it too e.g. Martin, Cotts, Boyd.

Belting Freo at their home was a big win.

Port's outs definitely make it a 50/50 game.

(again, watch H1 of the Suns/Port game from last weekend)

Nah, was primarily used as a defensive forward in 09/10 ('11 was a write-off) with the odd game in the middle. Played on the oppo's best defender most weeks and was in AA form in the position in 2010 before injuries hit. Did jobs on Enright, Wirrpanda, Dempsey, Gilbee and destroyed Sam Fisher multiple times. Your original quote and point that I called you out on was that he "finished his career as a small defender". You've already contradicted yourself there by now claiming he played most of his last seasons in the midfield, which is also incorrect.

Also see your tactic of changing the subject to try and win the argument by closing it down when your weird logic gets challenged. You do it a lot on here.

I respectfully disagree with this. Pretty sure Hoops was used in the middle and was actually quite a strong clearance player.

Yet the over the top melts were supposedly justified, yet 3 convincing wins (yes against sides outside the 8) are supposedly over the top as well

Never change bigfooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I respectfully disagree with this. Pretty sure Hoops was used in the middle and was actually quite a strong clearance player.
Absolutely he was, which is why I said primarily. In fact happy to concede he was a fwd/mid. The '09 final against Brisbane and one against Sydney at the Docklands are two games where he went in the middle that stick in the memory. I'll still say more often than not in those years he was played as a defensive fwd. The point I was calling out was the poster's assertion that Hoops finished up his career as a small defender, a factually incorrect example used in a bizarrely aggressive response to another poster who was pumping up Jordan Boyd.

Happy George in with Kennedy out -- would rather Kennedy due to his aerial ability- but I always of the belief you can have one not both rotating more runners through the middle with only two bulls and a steer (cerra) -- so cripps kennedy cripps hewitt or Kennedy hewitt depending availability -
Same as I understood curnow playing (I didn't like it) that high fwd role where obviously Voss want big volume runners once cotterell available he came in ..
we have been defending the arcs well since middle of the year with this style of set up just been average changing back to offence from defence-- Last few weeks have shown how we can play tempo -absorb and run and gun when possible without forcing it ..
if we defend through the middle as we have been and maintain this fwd pressure of last 3 outings we will win simple as that ..

Cats weren’t undermanned just not fit at the time IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yet the over the top melts were supposedly justified, yet 3 convincing wins (yes against sides outside the 8) are supposedly over the top as well

And yet there is no question the last three weeks have been starkly different from the preceding 14 games?

The last 3 weeks looked exactly like the Eagles game. Opposition applies zero pressure and we play fast, attacking footy and kick lots of goals.

Fremantle turned in their worst effort of the year. Hawthorn were awful and didn't kick a goal for an entire half. Suns had a historically bad quarter. And the Eagles are arguably the worst side in AFL history. Those are our wins surrounded by convincing losses against finals contending sides.

If we pump Port this weekend I'll be driving the ****in bandwagon right into September.. but I think we need we need to temper expectations until we win an actual contest.

The last 3 weeks looked exactly like the Eagles game. Opposition applies zero pressure and we play fast, attacking footy and kick lots of goals.

Fremantle turned in their worst effort of the year. Hawthorn were awful and didn't kick a goal for an entire half. Suns had a historically bad quarter. And the Eagles are arguably the worst side in AFL history. Those are our wins surrounded by convincing losses against finals contending sides.

If we pump Port this weekend I'll be driving the *in bandwagon right into September.. but I think we need we need to temper expectations until we win an actual contest.
Nah nah nah. Won't have this. Fremantle had high pressure and high effort. They laid 75 tackles. They just couldn't score. The Carlton defense was just too good. They threw everything at it.

They got spot on their average for contested possessions and stoppge clearances, they obviously dominated hitouts. They just couldn't get the ball inside 50. The Carlton high press strangled them.

What kind of crowd is expected? I only just upgraded my AFL membership to a reserved seat because I just had some plans changed which means I can go instead of watching on TV. I managed to sit in L1 premium which never happens for me unless I get really organised and upgrade as soon as they go on sale. Maybe I've left it late enough that they just released a bunch of extra seats on L1 or is there just going to be a small crowd?

If we pump Port this weekend I'll be driving the *in bandwagon right into September.. but I think we need we need to temper expectations until we win an actual contest.
Fremantle threw everything at us in the second quarter. They ramped up the pressure big time but we did something, which we've done the last few weeks, that we haven't seen in many, many years. We've held up, ramped up the pressure ourselves and counter-punched with scoreboard pressure.

Granted we've played three sides in the bottom half but technically all three games were over by half time. We are obviously playing a top side tomorrow but there is an air of confidence in the manner we are playing that makes tomorrow a very winnable game.

This video does a brilliant job explaining why we've improved so much over the last three weeks and why we have a real shot at beating Port. Just goes to show how much impact experienced players can bring to the team.

Fantastic analysis and goes to show how much better we are with players that are natural forwards and more aggressive

Martin especially is so important to structure and system

Lord for Dixon - not the change you want to be making, but ensures Finlayson and Marshall play forward the entire game, and alongside SPP that pressures Marchbank or McGovern in combination with a rampant midfield big problem for Port, Dixon, even if not in stellar form, scares defenders....Lord is a twig. Ditto Marshall.
Burgoyne for Burton - rewarding form and a distribution upgrade off half-back, Burton may not be the most physical defender, but Jase is still a rake of a kid Ridiculous to say this is an upgrade. Burton, with McKenzie, is one of their main ball movers out of D50. Putting an 11 gamer in for a 130 gamer....
Jonas for McKenzie - like for like defensive upgrade Major, major downgrade. Find me a Port supporter who agrees with your assessment here and I'll send $65k your way. McKenzie is their man defensively (With Aliir).
Duursma* for Rioli - athletically not like for like, but both opportunists who can surprise aerially Duursma hasn't played since round 7, injured constantly. At his best a terrific player, right now....hmmm. kicked 3 goals this season. Not a like for like. Rioli has kicked 16 goals in 12 games.
Mead for Horne-Francis - it's a downgrade, but will play a similar contested style in a mid-forward split Massive downgrade, JHF is more often than not Port's spark...Mead only 5 games this year....averaged 8 disposals a game....
Lycett for Hayes - like for like ruck upgrade Yes, but Lycett hasn't played any footy in a month, knee injury, and was all but not ready for this week.
The good Lord is no twig, he is built like Charlie but doesn't have Dixon skills.
The first year player is the grandson son of Alistair Lord of Geelong & Brownlow Medal fame, and loves smashing packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back