Position 2023 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Blicavs has the running ability of a wingman though. He has a very unique set of attributes that mean Geelong have the luxury to do that, I’d be very surprised if it worked with the Grundy/Gawn combination.
Grundy's strength though was his running ....not so Gawn, who's a pure Ruck

It'll be interesting to watch FREO & MELB during the long PS campaign .....of 1 PS game :'(

It'll be interesting to watch FREO & MELB during the long PS campaign .....of 1 PS game :'(
The single PS might be a thing of beauty for us obsessives. The coaches are going to be running a full dress-rehearsal of opening night, so we will have a live preview of what's to come.

Hodors problem was always meek.
Jackson will replace lobb for no discernible effect imo. I think Hodor is the best premo ruck this year
Hodor's problem mainly, I think, was that although as Makeshift Park stated, he only missed 3 games thru the season, he was carrying about 3 separate chronic issues.
If he is free in body and mind, he is capable of shooting the lights out.
That PS round will be the tell.

Hodors problem was always meek.
Jackson will replace lobb for no discernible effect imo. I think Hodor is the best premo ruck this year
Hmmm, not sure about that. Jackson's strength is his run and jump then get involved when the ball is on the ground. He's almost the opposite of Hodor, who could barely jump (or run) last year. (Or taking a far king mark)

I'd expect him to get a lot of the CBA's, way more than Lobb who doesn't like rucking. If Hodor is injury free then I'm keen, but he always seems to be carrying something.

1671519813726.png

I predict that Grundy is the CBA ruckman and will be heavily involved in midfield possession chains, spending 90% of game minutes between the arcs, while Gawn plays as a forward and also goes back to fill the hole and take intercept marks while competing for lots of the boundary throw-ins.

Grundy is a bargain IMO, he will be one of the three highest scoring rucks. I just don't think there's a way to use him to help your AFL team win that doesn't involve him scoring bulk SC points

I predict that Grundy is the CBA ruckman and will be heavily involved in midfield possession chains, spending 90% of game minutes between the arcs, while Gawn plays as a forward and also goes back to fill the hole and take intercept marks while competing for lots of the boundary throw-ins.

Grundy is a bargain IMO, he will be one of the three highest scoring rucks. I just don't think there's a way to use him to help your AFL team win that doesn't involve him scoring bulk SC points
2019 just called and wants its Grundy back mate.
We are so well shot of him, just you wait and watch; Melbourne have been sold the biggest pup since we flogged Daisy to Carlton. He is more cooked, over-cooked, than a well done fillet mignon.
McCrae was happy to be rid of him; that is more than good enough for me.

2019 just called and wants its Grundy back mate.
We are so well shot of him, just you wait and watch; Melbourne have been sold the biggest pup since we flogged Daisy to Carlton. He is more cooked, over-cooked, than a well done fillet mignon.
McCrae was happy to be rid of him; that is more than good enough for me.
Dunno mate, that last game he played this year, he was hurt but the old Grundy was still there. Reckon getting the arse from Collingwood might fire him up a bit. Just imo, but he lost the motivation when he got that big contract. He has something to prove now.

Every ruck has their downside this year, I'll probably go with Grundy on price more than anything.

I like your hypothesis.
The dees have such an unusual squad.
Probably still got more guns than any other best 22 at this stage for my money, but no good KPFs.
I just question whether Grundy will be taking the vast majority of CBAs when I imagine the combination of the two alternating could be so devastating.

I like your hypothesis.
The dees have such an unusual squad.
Probably still got more guns than any other best 22 at this stage for my money, but no good KPFs.
I just question whether Grundy will be taking the vast majority of CBAs when I imagine the combination of the two alternating could be so devastating.
Gawn is such a good mark, he's got to play more forward of the two. Pity he's got the yips when kicking for goal though.

Dunno mate, that last game he played this year, he was hurt but the old Grundy was still there. Reckon getting the arse from Collingwood might fire him up a bit. Just imo, but he lost the motivation when he got that big contract. He has something to prove now.

Every ruck has their downside this year, I'll probably go with Grundy on price more than anything.
The 512K is a oncer if he shows up. That PS looms as being very large for SC.

So many question marks over almost every Ruckmen next year it will be interesting to see who the Top 4 really are but I'm backing Grundy I think him and Gawn will work well as a team and those that question Grundy's output he still had 4/6 100+ scores last season before injury. Worth the risk

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

So many question marks over almost every Ruckmen next year it will be interesting to see who the Top 4 really are but I'm backing Grundy I think him and Gawn will work well as a team and those that question Grundy's output he still had 4/6 100+ scores last season before injury. Worth the risk

View attachment 1576190
View attachment 1576191
The only certainty for me, at this point ruck-wise, is Darcy Cameron. He is looking like an absolute lock for top F6.
As to R1/R2, from here on until the PS matches are complete, I am discounting nobody of serious consideration, nor declaring anybody else a certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a good runner for a ruck. Blicavs is an elite runner full stop. Huge difference, put Grundy on an on baller and the oppo is going to walk the ball out of stoppages.

Darcy and Marshall for me at this stage.

Why do you say Darcy is injury prone?

He was out for three nonconsecutive games last season, one the year before. So 4 games missed across two years.

That's practically indestructible compared to English (16 matches played in 2022), NicNat (8), and Grundy (6).
He was visibly struggling in a number of those games he did play last year though. He seemed to regularly pick something up mid game.

He was visibly struggling in a number of those games he did play last year though. He seemed to regularly pick something up mid game.
Okay but lets look through the other rucks who scored more over the course of the season.

1671534595673.png

Gawn's had 5 seasons of incredible SC scores, but most need to see how he plays in tandem with Grundy before taking the plunge now.
Nank has never had a season with a 100+ ave, Blicavs had one eons ago, ROB's had two non consecutively over the last few years.
Goldy has the most 100+ years of all these fellows, but he's now the 4th oldest person in the whole comp.
That was Witts' first 100+ ave season. (TBH I'm tempted to run with him with Darcy. But at the moment I'm going with the cheaper option of Marshall.)
Meanwhile Darcy's had 2 years of 100 aves with only 4 games missed, which is about as good as it gets for me before we see how the rucks perform come practice match time.

Attachments

• 1671534262454.png
    1671534262454.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 31
Okay but lets look through the other rucks who scored more over the course of the season.

View attachment 1576286

Gawn's had 5 seasons of incredible SC scores, but most need to see how he plays in tandem with Grundy before taking the plunge now.
Nank has never had a season with a 100+ ave, Blicavs had one eons ago, ROB's had two non consecutively over the last few years.
Goldy has the most 100+ years of all these fellows, but he's now the 4th oldest person in the whole comp.
That was Witts' first 100+ ave season. (TBH I'm tempted to run with him with Darcy. But at the moment I'm going with the cheaper option of Marshall.)
Meanwhile Darcy's had 2 years of 100 aves with only 4 games missed, which is about as good as it gets for me before we see how the rucks perform come practice match time.
My placeholders, PS rd dependent: 1671535812200.png

Could be a fair bit to play out in the rucks with all the changes this year, may go one heavy in def and wait till the dust settles for someone to pair up with RoMar at first forward cash in moving Cameron to F6.

View attachment 1576435
Why not the GWS ruck Madden at R3? R/f and $102k? Solid captains loop option as well due to GWS game times.

Has he had a skull reinforcement? He could run away with the entire competition but for his Justin Koschitzke-like ability to draw a freak hit or injury from nowhere.
I wish him well, he is a star of the game. He is also number 2 on my never again list. Isn't that so, Mr Whitfield?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Position 2023 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back