AFLW Autopsy 2023 Season 8 - Round 01 Swans v GWS - Sunday 3 Sep @ 3:05pm @ North Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I was pretty surprised and puzzled at his comments. I put them down to inexperience. You'd never hear Horse say that polemical even if it wasn't delivered in an especially punchy way.

I didn't mind it as its quite refreshing for a Swans fan...just for that reason - we never get that from Horse McPoker Face.
Let's fire up our neighbouring rivals to bring some healthy rivalry for future clashes. They might have changed coaches again by next game. :p

Hope John took notes from Gowan's 3/4 address ;)

It was awesome to be at the game with 3 generations of my family! 😍

So exciting to come from behind!! When the GWS' lead had blown out to 4 goals it wasn't looking too good but absolutely stoked we turned it around. Interesting to hear Scotty Gowan talk about the structural changes they made at half-time working out so well even if he modestly said he didn't foresee the positive flow-on effects.

Bec Privitelli had possibly her best game for us I thought. Real marking presence and kicked a great first goal after a quality contested mark.

Aliesha Newman was also elusive and smooth, possibly her best game for us too. (I didn't watch all our matches last season so I could very well be wrong.)

I thought our defenders did well overall. Ticky, you can have Brenna and her awesome clutch marking, I'm sticking with Ella Heads as my favourite defender.
As others have noted, Morphett was an absolute beast. Probably our best player. Moy was brilliant. McEvoy understated but very effective. I enjoyed the debut of Tanya Kennedy - she is a powerful unit.

Loved the ground. Loved the weather. Crowd was good. Felt like more than it was. Good to see the boys there in support.

I won't make it next weekend but I'm looking forward to attending more AFLW this year. So good to have a team to support!!

Side note: now they know how stressful these close ones are from the sidelines
😅

Did anyone catch the crowd figure? I missed it at the ground but the oval was pretty full.

that's what i was wondering ... just watching those last minutes, seemed a very good, noisy crowd
great result
couldn't watch because of work ... but will be trying to see as many of their games as i can
congratulations!

It was awesome to be at the game with 3 generations of my family! 😍

So exciting to come from behind!! When the GWS' lead had blown out to 4 goals it wasn't looking too good but absolutely stoked we turned it around. Interesting to hear Scotty Gowan talk about the structural changes they made at half-time working out so well even if he modestly said he didn't foresee the positive flow-on effects.

Bec Privitelli had possibly her best game for us I thought. Real marking presence and kicked a great first goal after a quality contested mark.

Aliesha Newman was also elusive and smooth, possibly her best game for us too. (I didn't watch all our matches last season so I could very well be wrong.)

I thought our defenders did well overall. Ticky, you can have Brenna and her awesome clutch marking, I'm sticking with Ella Heads as my favourite defender.
As others have noted, Morphett was an absolute beast. Probably our best player. Moy was brilliant. McEvoy understated but very effective. I enjoyed the debut of Tanya Kennedy - she is a powerful unit.

Loved the ground. Loved the weather. Crowd was good. Felt like more than it was. Good to see the boys there in support.

I won't make it next weekend but I'm looking forward to attending more AFLW this year. So good to have a team to support!!
Privetelli and Morphett had a real impact and presence on the ground. One more year and more mature experience made a real difference in our game style and how we moved the ball. All too often last year we were caught out with no one to kick it to or players just put boot to ball without looking down the ground and sizing things up. Much improved.

"We had to fight and fight..." Hear from Scott Gowans following a historic first win for Sydney's AFLW side.

WOW! The opposing coaches had an even split on votes

Sydney v Greater Western Sydney

10 - Ally Morphett (SYD)
8 - Alyce Parker (GWS)
6 - Laura Gardiner (SYD)
4 - Chloe Molloy (SYD)
2 - Tarni Evans (GWS)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About right I reckon. Glad to see Laura's defensive effort recognised.

I agree! Gardiner went a bit under the radar but she had a great game. There were a bunch of players who we wouldn't have won the game without, and she was one of them.

I'm hoping she's going to be a bit of a JPK story for us: couldn't break into a strong midfield, left and came to us and becomes ball winning beast!

Post-match interview Scott Gowans - also I believe we are the only team in AFLW that has come from behind in the 4th quarter to win.
That part about how our game plan last year was only 4 pages LOL because that's the time we had to prepare and absorb and train for due to the short preparation time.

Kids & work have limited my ability to have a life outside of kids & work but just watched the highlights... What a win!! Stoked for the club!

I was getting worried for a while there but we really came back strong in the end (something the boys might like to try to replicate this Friday).

How about Molloy?! What a star!

"Swans duo Chloe Molloy and Julie O'Sullivan have earnt respective Goal of the Year and Mark of the Year nominations"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back