2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a precedent for a half back costing 2 first rounders?
I'm the last one to moan about giving up promising 18yo's for a proven product but surely that sort of deal is for gun mids and KPFs?
Lachy Neale cost Brisbane 19 and 6
That's about what people are considering for Rioli
And if he did come what do you do with Weller and Powell?
Or does Rioli play other positions ?
So many questions
Under normal circumstances Rioli wouldnt be woth that and most likely just 1 pick in the 7/8 range (Adam Saad was traded for #5 + 3rd rounder)

But there are a few unique things regarding this
  • Rioli being a Rioli
  • Dimma & Rioli relationship
  • Lombard being so good and expected to be top 5/6 consuming the pick/s
  • GC need for the exact same player that Rioli is and knowing the game plan Dimma wants the player to play
  • Points GC would get back with later picks sent back
  • Possible Salary cap assistance from the Tigers
  • GC not really having use for 1st round picks in 24/25 with the Academy talent coming through

Almost like all stars aligning

The Gun is my favourite Non Suns Fan and that includes Jen who if/when we lose on Saturday night will no doubt offer some condescending comments.
Such a pity he goes for Richmond.
Thanks mate , But i do have my haters from other clubs and probably dues to they way i treat them, Im a bit Jekyl hyde depending on the teams i hate ;)
Honestly after 2 ACLs Weller is probably not going to be the player we thought he could be, as what has happened with Buda.

My ideal defense IF Rioli came in is:

Uwland - Collins - Powell
Andrew - Ballard - Rioli

Even if it isn't Rioli we need someone to fill that spot, and if we need to overpay, so be it.
Jayden Short is another option that could play a similar role that Dimma could look at
B & F in 2020 premiership team and Rioli replaced him when Dan started to struggle as a small foward but Short was brilliant in that role and would be cheaper

I think i would have gained some confidence on this board with some posters specially a guy that i cant remember his name but was always taking pot shots at other team supporters including myself until he accepted me and started standing up for me here but cant remember that Grumpy blokes name just that he was a whisky drinker that started following afl late

But thanks

That guy sounds like a real bed wetter.

Hmmmmm
It's a dilemma
At some point we have to stop being the Bank of Mum and Dad for other Clubs but we need to start landing proper free agents
Is it fair to say that since the initial startup(incl GAJ) Witter and Brando have been our only real standout FAs in 14 years?
Oh-silly me
Also George Horlin Smith- I forgot him because I think he's still trying to get off the ground to the interchange from his last game with us

Last edited:
Maurice is only 21 years of age so there's still plenty of time to develop him if we were to go after him. Dimma drafted MRJ so he knows him intimately and I'd back his assessment if he thinks it's worth it to bring him in. Plus, it's another famous Darwin name to add to our list and both Rioli boys happen to be cousins of Ben Long so I'm sure the three of them would be happy if it eventuated.

If it seals the deal with Dan and is virtually the same cost then I think you just take Maurice as well. There's no obligation to keep Maurice beyond a year or two and by that point he'll be 24 and we'll know if he's actually worth keeping long term.

So Richmond will trade two Rioli's under contract for the same price?

How do you think that would go down at Richmond?

Great outcome for the Suns with the NT alignment and other NT boys playing there.

Not great for Richmond list managers, the CEO and board who would be condemned and run out of town.

If it needs both to move to work Suns are paying a kings ransom. Rioli's are royalty at Tiger land. Or it doesnt happen. If they are sticking together they stay at Richmond IMO.

For people who were wondering, MRJ has similar (if not better in things like goals) stats to Holman this year, even in tackling.

So, as a young player, could be a better option in an area where we only have Rosas coming through. Better than Ace or Cheat Code. Puts pressure on Rosas, and at best pushes out Holman, Berry or Long.

Don’t hate it. We get an A grade halfback and a developing small forward in one trade. Add in Lombard (more of a mid) and let Rogers develop and now we have some depth there. So if he is steak knives for a deal, not the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ace ventura revenge GIF

You blokes have fell for it again
Gee our fan culture is bad

The VFL journo pushing this lie that we will give 2 first rounders and are desperate for Rioli is Jon Ralph……

Who does Jon Ralph go for??

Good job.

Until our club and its enablers act half normal we will always do bad deals and be a joke.

Mini GF tomorrow. See you there.

Personally I would lean towards isaac cumming as a free agent and load up our firsts on a superstar. Obviously it would require cumming and superstar wanting to join the suns, but that's my ideal scenario.

The 36 hours that convinced this former fast bowler to play his footy on the Gold Coast, not in Melbourne​

Zak Evans’ last game of competitive football was playing for the Xavier College school team in 2018 when they travelled to Brighton for the final game of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria season.

He hopes his next is in the AFL after choosing Gold Coast over North Melbourne to become the game’s latest category B rookie.

The Victorian fast bowler, who has best figures of 5-33 on his record for the Melbourne Renegades, chose cricket over football as an 18-year-old, as Will Sutherland did a year earlier despite AFL recruiters believing he would have been a top-five pick in the national draft.

Evans was behind the likes of Sutherland, James Pattinson, Scott Boland and Peter Siddle over the years – a cartel of fast bowlers Evans found hard to get past.

“I got to the end of last season and, it’s not that I lost the passion for cricket, I just had this nagging feeling that I’ve had since year 12,” Evans told The Scoop this week. “It was this opportunity of footy. I wanted to go back to it. The interest started peaking.”

So, after injuries and selection issues finally took their toll, Evans and his manager James Murch turned to high-profile player agent Paul Connors.

Although the only footage that exists of Evans playing is of school-level games, two clubs immediately became interested.

He met with North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson and was given a tour of
Arden Street, but there was something about his 36-hour experience on the Gold Coast that gave him a special feeling.

For me, both clubs were unreal experiences,” Evans said.

“But the culture I found at the Gold Coast, I just loved it. I got along with most of the boys as soon as I arrived there. The coaching staff, including Dimma (Hardwick) himself, all made me feel comfortable – it was all looking really promising.

“I had the passion to join something that I thought could be really special.”

During that same year of school footy in 2018, Evans played alongside Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith.

Xavier lost the premiership that year to the Matthew Lloyd-coached Haileybury, a team with the likes of Ben King (Max was injured during year 12 with a ruptured ACL), Liam Stocker and Cody Weightman.

One man watching on in Brighton during Evans’ last game of football was Luke Ball.

The former St Kilda and Collingwood champion knows all about the choice between football and cricket. Some people say Ball was so talented as a cricketer that he was being touted as a future Test batsman for Australia.

But Ball, who was also managed by Connors, chose the large oval ball over the smaller, round one.

Ball was coaching Xavier as an assistant that year under his brother Matt.
“Athletically, Zak was supremely gifted. A good size, fast and agile, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he made an impact early on at AFL level,” said Ball.
But he hasn’t actually been allowed to play.
Under AFL rules, had Evans played football at any level within the past three years, he would no longer be classified as a Category B rookie, and thus would have to nominate for the draft with everyone else.
So, Zak has gone back to where it all began.

He has been training on Tuesday and Thursday nights with Old Xaverians at Toorak Park. He can train as much as he likes, but he just can’t play.

The rules are also strict at AFL level. Technically, Evans can’t sign as a Gold Coast player until July 1. While he’s allowed to visit the club, he won’t be permitted to train or play at any level until the start of the next pre-season.

As a junior footballer, Evans played everywhere.

He was often deployed in key-position posts at either end of the ground, but his raw speed and power meant he was a tantalising prospect as a part-time midfielder.

Either way, both North Melbourne and Gold Coast had seen enough that they were willing to, first, meet with him and, second, offer him a contract.

Matt Ball, who played 17 games for Hawthorn in the early 2000s, was Evans’ last senior coach.

“The two key features of Zak that are attractive for AFL footy are his athletic ability, combined with a pretty ferocious competitiveness.

“To be honest, I’m shocked there were only two clubs that showed meaningful interest.”

Evans will continue to train for Old Xavs and will increase his level of personal training to be fit and firing for the start of next pre-season.

He’s not the first player to have picked cricket only to return to football. Alex Keath has played over 100 AFL games – including five finals – since making the switch. And Wil Parker made his debut for Collingwood this year after playing for Victoria.

And Evans said he will miss cricket as he forges ahead in the next phase of his sporting life.

“It’s been a part of me ever since I can remember,” he said.

“I have had, and will continue to have, a lot of good mates within cricket. Cricket has almost shaped me as a person, to be honest.”

But not for the first time, cricket’s loss may be football’s gain.

Bit more info on new guy.

The 36 hours that convinced this former fast bowler to play his footy on the Gold Coast, not in Melbourne​

Zak Evans’ last game of competitive football was playing for the Xavier College school team in 2018 when they travelled to Brighton for the final game of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria season.

He hopes his next is in the AFL after choosing Gold Coast over North Melbourne to become the game’s latest category B rookie.

The Victorian fast bowler, who has best figures of 5-33 on his record for the Melbourne Renegades, chose cricket over football as an 18-year-old, as Will Sutherland did a year earlier despite AFL recruiters believing he would have been a top-five pick in the national draft.

Evans was behind the likes of Sutherland, James Pattinson, Scott Boland and Peter Siddle over the years – a cartel of fast bowlers Evans found hard to get past.

“I got to the end of last season and, it’s not that I lost the passion for cricket, I just had this nagging feeling that I’ve had since year 12,” Evans told The Scoop this week. “It was this opportunity of footy. I wanted to go back to it. The interest started peaking.”

So, after injuries and selection issues finally took their toll, Evans and his manager James Murch turned to high-profile player agent Paul Connors.

Although the only footage that exists of Evans playing is of school-level games, two clubs immediately became interested.

He met with North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson and was given a tour of
Arden Street, but there was something about his 36-hour experience on the Gold Coast that gave him a special feeling.

For me, both clubs were unreal experiences,” Evans said.

“But the culture I found at the Gold Coast, I just loved it. I got along with most of the boys as soon as I arrived there. The coaching staff, including Dimma (Hardwick) himself, all made me feel comfortable – it was all looking really promising.

“I had the passion to join something that I thought could be really special.”

During that same year of school footy in 2018, Evans played alongside Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith.

Xavier lost the premiership that year to the Matthew Lloyd-coached Haileybury, a team with the likes of Ben King (Max was injured during year 12 with a ruptured ACL), Liam Stocker and Cody Weightman.

One man watching on in Brighton during Evans’ last game of football was Luke Ball.

The former St Kilda and Collingwood champion knows all about the choice between football and cricket. Some people say Ball was so talented as a cricketer that he was being touted as a future Test batsman for Australia.

But Ball, who was also managed by Connors, chose the large oval ball over the smaller, round one.

Ball was coaching Xavier as an assistant that year under his brother Matt.
“Athletically, Zak was supremely gifted. A good size, fast and agile, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he made an impact early on at AFL level,” said Ball.
But he hasn’t actually been allowed to play.
Under AFL rules, had Evans played football at any level within the past three years, he would no longer be classified as a Category B rookie, and thus would have to nominate for the draft with everyone else.
So, Zak has gone back to where it all began.

He has been training on Tuesday and Thursday nights with Old Xaverians at Toorak Park. He can train as much as he likes, but he just can’t play.

The rules are also strict at AFL level. Technically, Evans can’t sign as a Gold Coast player until July 1. While he’s allowed to visit the club, he won’t be permitted to train or play at any level until the start of the next pre-season.

As a junior footballer, Evans played everywhere.

He was often deployed in key-position posts at either end of the ground, but his raw speed and power meant he was a tantalising prospect as a part-time midfielder.

Either way, both North Melbourne and Gold Coast had seen enough that they were willing to, first, meet with him and, second, offer him a contract.

Matt Ball, who played 17 games for Hawthorn in the early 2000s, was Evans’ last senior coach.

“The two key features of Zak that are attractive for AFL footy are his athletic ability, combined with a pretty ferocious competitiveness.

“To be honest, I’m shocked there were only two clubs that showed meaningful interest.”

Evans will continue to train for Old Xavs and will increase his level of personal training to be fit and firing for the start of next pre-season.

He’s not the first player to have picked cricket only to return to football. Alex Keath has played over 100 AFL games – including five finals – since making the switch. And Wil Parker made his debut for Collingwood this year after playing for Victoria.

And Evans said he will miss cricket as he forges ahead in the next phase of his sporting life.

“It’s been a part of me ever since I can remember,” he said.

“I have had, and will continue to have, a lot of good mates within cricket. Cricket has almost shaped me as a person, to be honest.”

But not for the first time, cricket’s loss may be football’s gain.

Bit more info on new guy.

The main part I got from that is he’s competitive, need more DAWGS

Looking at Daniel Rioli vs Wil Powell stats this year.

Guess who has more Rebound 50s (5.7 vs 4.7), more Meters Gained (455 vs 383), better Disposal Efficiency % (82 vs 77), more Marks (5.4 vs 3.3), more Intercepts (6.6 vs 5.0)?

Rioli would be handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back