2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Humphrey has 4 years left on his deal. We are clearing well over a million in salary cap this year, we arent loaded up in the cap. You guys are creating this narrative that just isn't correct. The club is in a good spot, won't need Richmond to pay **** all. Especially not for pick 12, that will be turned into a pick next year for Zeke.
We are clearing around 2M if Luko goes? (Luko, Ellis, Macpherson, Day, possibly Oea, some others still to come?) plus 2M extra TPP.

I guess Rioli + Noble + Himmelberg around 1.7M?

I bet Tigers are more desperate to pay some salary than us to get some cap relief. Or at least THE GUN who pushes this narrative constantly.

Bloody hell, just briefly looking Tigers have possibly min 5M TPP gap to fil after all those players retiring, leaving, TPP increase. Yet, THE GUN tells us we are desperate like in Bowes case. It's tiring 😂

We are clearing around 2M if Luko goes? (Luko, Ellis, Macpherson, Day, possibly Oea, some others still to come?) plus 2M extra TPP.

I bet Tigers are more desperate to pay some salary than us to get some cap relief. Or at least THE GUN who pushes this narrative constantly.

Bloody hell, just briefly looking Tigers have possibly min 5M TPP gap to fil after all those players retiring, leaving, TPP increase. Yet, THE GUN tells us we are desperate like in Bowes case. It's tiring 😂
Richmond are desperate to pay Bolton and Rioli's salary. As you say, they are in massive trouble salary wise.

Hard to see why the Suns should help them out of a problem.

But having said that, there are strong ties between the clubs and they have done several amicable deals recently. Something will get worked out, it's just getting a bit old being condescended to by Richmond fans that are over-estimating the strength of their position.

More valuable to use 12 to get an extra academy player next year. Better to get Beau Addinsall than have Richmond pay some of Rioli's salary.

Humpa is signed up for another 5 years, Rowell the only significant one not signed up past 2025.

I know you don't agree but I still think 6 alone is way overs for Rioli. Judging by the trade thread, all the neutral fans agree. You should be delighted with just 6.
And you are most possibly right just using humphrey as an example of a young suns player could be any young player
#6 is the trade and imo its a fair trade for a contracted Dan Rioli compared to previous trades for similar or lesser players
But hey i love the kid and hope he goes well. You forget draft picks but remember players and i will remember his as a richmond player and his contributions

Meeting Cap space is not a problem
$1.5 mil Lynch last year and we Have Toranto / Hopper to front load
thats the easy part

Then pick purchasing comes in the next year or 2
and Can always hunt free agents

I’ve just read your two posts, one where you laugh at your own joke and then your smarmy comment about Bowes.

Then I’ve noticed your use of the laugh emoji at our board members.

Work on your own politeness and remember where you are.

What's smarmy about the Bowes comment? He was offloaded with a 1st round pick for salary cap relief. Reported wage of $500,000 and GCS gave away P7 to get rid of it. It provides context for wages paid to Rioli by RFC if there are any.

Yes I laughed at two posts by the sarcastic poster Iva Bigun. Is his rudeness lost on you?

As for Heeney clearly he's a star, but I find it an interesting comparison given he's not available and his performance in the GF where he probably served up his worst performance for the year in the biggest game of the year. Ultimately they're different players, so I think the comparison is poor.

Lastly where I am shouldn't matter - I'm polite to all members wherever I go. Some of your friends here maybe need to be a bit less territorial - it's just a discussion forum for footy, not your daughter's bedroom!

What's smarmy about the Bowes comment? He was offloaded with a 1st round pick for salary cap relief. Reported wage of $500,000 and GCS gave away P7 to get rid of it. It provides context for wages paid to Rioli by RFC if there are any.
I could be wrong, but I thought Bowes was close to a million (backended) on the old player salary agreement, which is why getting him off the books was a big deal and drastic option was used.

Luko is similarly backended, but club doesn’t seem to be under significant financial stress this time around. Him leaving isn’t purely financial, unlike Bowes.

In either case, salary isn’t a driving factor for selling picks this year. At least as far as I or any media I’ve heard is aware.

I could be wrong, but I thought Bowes was close to a million (backended) on the old player salary agreement, which is why getting him off the books was a big deal and drastic option was used.

Luko is similarly backended, but club doesn’t seem to be under significant financial stress this time around. Him leaving isn’t purely financial, unlike Bowes.

That would make a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying. I thought it was half that.

As for Luko...how do GCS fans feel about him leaving or staying? I thought he looked a decent player?

I don't watch as much neutral footy anymore though. Game has lost its toughness and appeal a lot over the last decade or so.

That would make a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying. I thought it was half that.

As for Luko...how do GCS fans feel about him leaving or staying? I thought he looked a decent player?

I don't watch as much neutral footy anymore though. Game has lost its toughness and appeal a lot over the last decade or so.
Luko isn't a good fit for Dimma's game plan it seems. Too soft in the contest. And as Walter and Read develop he may lose his place (as soon as this year).

Having said that, he seems like a good fella, and is clearly talented. Maybe at another team his strengths are maximised and he will flourish.

I'm not really bothered if he stays or leaves, but it looks like he's going so as long as we get a decent pick it's fine.

Personally, I’d rather he stayed and we used him to his strengths. He is our best kick inside 50, an area we suck at.

And I don’t just assume Walter or Read will be better than him. They may be, but it’s not a guarantee. Let’s just say they are different and hope that these boys grow to be the players we want them to be for us.

Also, Suns have a history of trading out players hoping the younger version will be better.

But I’d want some kind of first round pick/ future first, otherwise I’d rather keep him.

The comparisons between Prestia being traded for pick 6 and Rioli potentially being traded for 6.

Prestia: places 9th in club champion in his last year before being traded

Rioli: places 1st and Richmond nuffies expect more than pick 6…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The comparisons between Prestia being traded for pick 6 and Rioli potentially being traded for 6.

This is true.

Counter argument: midfielder coming into his prime v halfback already in his prime, but more in the backend of career.

Also, the names ahead of Prestia included Lynch, May, GAJ, Miller that year, so 9th isn’t as bad as it sounds.

We also gave up Pick 24 along with Prestia, while Rioli is contracted, so it isn’t a straight comparison.

Prestia managed 14 games in 2016 due to injuries.

Rioli has played 69 games in the last 3 years. Extremely durable, albeit 3 years older, and reigning B&F.

It's also very clear that over the last 5ish years that established players are now demanding higher trade prices in draft return vs what they used to in the past.

These are the reasons I think Rioli is worth more than P6, but probably not P6 + P12, unless there's significant wages paid by RFC +/- picks returning to GCS for Lombard.

This is true.

Counter argument: midfielder coming into his prime v halfback already in his prime, but more in the backend of career.

Also, the names ahead of Prestia included Lynch, May, GAJ, Miller that year, so 9th isn’t as bad as it sounds.

We also gave up Pick 24 along with Prestia, while Rioli is contracted, so it isn’t a straight comparison.
There is never a straight comparison and all have variations of sorts
But Re Prestia v Rioli i just look at it like how many games we got from prestia 130 and you could just write off 30 games he comes off injured and he came to the club under knee injury concerns.

But the best and closest comparison would be saad / Rioli
Saad was a player that jumped off 2 clubs and not as good as what he is today but 2 years younger
Rioli is 2 years older but a better player in 2024 than Saad in 2020 Rioli is also our B & F winner
but the main difference is Rioli is contracted compared to Saad uncontracted

Saad went for #8 and Rioli will be #7
I think thats the closest comparison

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I laughed at two posts by the sarcastic poster Iva Bigun. Is his rudeness lost on you?

As for Heeney clearly he's a star, but I find it an interesting comparison given he's not available and his performance in the GF where he probably served up his worst performance for the year in the biggest game of the year. Ultimately they're different players, so I think the comparison is poor.

Lastly where I am shouldn't matter - I'm polite to all members wherever I go. Some of your friends here maybe need to be a bit less territorial - it's just a discussion forum for footy, not your daughter's bedroom!
Actually it does matter where you are, If this was the reverse we'd be run out of the Richmond board on a rail.

Politeness and entertainment value only get you so much leeway.

Since you wrote this post I like what you are contributing now. Hats off to you.

By the way with Bowes im certain we were getting a much bigger salary than $500k off the books. Can’t remember the figure but I remember I was gobsmacked by the crazy money we were paying him.

Since you wrote this post I like what you are contributing now. Hats off to you.

By the way with Bowes im certain we were getting a much bigger salary than $500k off the books. Can’t remember the figure but I remember I was gobsmacked by the crazy money we were paying him.
I recall something like $800k a year left in his last 2 years due to back ending his contract
so effectively $1 mil over what he would have been worth

You dont know that $500k x 3 its extremely valuable in your cap and coule be the difference of keeping or losing a player like Humphreys or Rowell

I think most supporters under value this aspect of trade period
Magpies had to off load Treloar & Grundy due to this squeeze and GC off loaded a #7 to get relief
You keep using exceptions as if they were the rule, they are exceptions for a reason

How is that an exception ? Its the most comparable
It’s the exception because most trades don’t require salaries to be paid, or at least not in significant amounts that make them noteworthy.

Grundy, Treloar and Bowes are the three big ones that I can think of.

I can see it becoming more of thing moving forward, as is talked about a lot on trade shows now—often to navigate around picks and making deals seem “fairer”.

Richmond are about to experience an exodus akin to what Lions felt, or Suns felt, when their best players walked out across multiple seasons and the clubs hit rock bottom. They will have plenty of cap space for a year or two as they try to rebuild and develop. But that doesn’t mean Suns need that cap when the pick may be better spent elsewhere rather than “selling” it off to Richmond.

It’s the exception because most trades don’t require salaries to be paid, or at least not in significant amounts that make them noteworthy.

Grundy, Treloar and Bowes are the three big ones that I can think of.

I can see it becoming more of thing moving forward, as is talked about a lot on trade shows now—often to navigate around picks and making deals seem “fairer”.

Richmond are about to experience an exodus akin to what Lions felt, or Suns felt, when their best players walked out across multiple seasons and the clubs hit rock bottom. They will have plenty of cap space for a year or two as they try to rebuild and develop. But that doesn’t mean Suns need that cap when the pick may be better spent elsewhere rather than “selling” it off to Richmond.
When contracted players get traded salary contributions are very common specially when traded to teams with a cap thats stretched or about to get stretched. Usually doesnt get reported

A fully cooked Bret Deledio was traded to GWS in 2016 for pick #17 with Richmond paying $250k x 3 years

Cursory google search indicates it may have been closer to $1.6kk over the last two years. Ouch!

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back