2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

I've mostly been following the trade news on the Reddit side, and I've delayed posting my opinions on here, until all of a sudden I have a page worth of takes on the current trade period and all the rumours and wheeling and dealing. I'll just say this on the current Rioli-Noble negotiations:

Even if our list managers became ultra-competent overnight, they're fighting against the reputation that Gold Coast are pushovers that can be bullied into signing off bad deals.
My perspective is that Rioli is worth something in the 13-19 range, and I'd have to grit my teeth if the deal ended up being Pick 6 for Rioli + a bunch of draft points. Pick 6 outright is a robbery. Pick 6 + more? Absolutely ludicrous. The fact that these negotiations are happening at the same time as Noble, a defender worth Picks ~19-25, is being offered for Pick 13 is ridiculous. But what really blows my mind is that Victorian list managers are saying with a straight face that they don't want to part for a pick in the teens for Dan Houston, a TWO-TIME ALL-AUSTRALIAN that's the same age as Rioli.
Where did you get the info that pick 13 is offered for Noble? I follow it closely and did not see this scenario.

At the moment Collingwood wants pick 13 + 23 for F1 + Noble. Suns said no.

Where did you get the info that pick 13 is offered for Noble? I follow it closely and did not see this scenario.

Collingwood are trying to get Dan Houston on the assumption that they will get the Suns' Pick 13.

Would use pick 6 in the draft we have enough HBF types.
No we don't, we have no good rebounders, we are excellent forcing the oppo at turning the ball over, but can't do anything with it after it. Did you not see Sexton, Flanders, Jeffrey all suck at moving the ball? We have 0 connection off half back. We fix that in one off season and provide something that Hardwick style gameplans thrive off, Run and carry from the back line. You don't win flags kicking the ball 50 metres to a contest every single time.

I believe the Suns want to give 13 by itself. They don’t want to part with 23.

Could end up being 13 + 29.

If we assume 6 and 13 are gone on Rioli and Noble, if Lombard is selected at 8 what picks will we need to use to match? i ask this as we are are in a frenzy over whether 23 or 29 are also potentially used in a F1 pick swap for Noble. If we end up swapping 29 but then have to use 23 for Lombard what is the difference??
Or are we desperate to also trade 23 and move down to get more picks next year?

"Lombard will arrive in November and immediately improve the forward line. Uwland is a goalkicking midfielder who is already being touted as a potential No. 1 pick next year – and there could be as many as three more academy stars pushing for first round grades by the time the 2025 draft rolls around."

First I've heard of 4 first rounders again for 2025

I am pretty sure Dimma disagrees with your view. It's his call.

Personally I want Powell on the wing.

Pick 6 is another midfielder. 3-5 years development, waiting for opportunity, possibly leaving.

I feel most people don't realize how critical for Suns is to start playing finals. If not in 2025, then 2026 is a must. More draftees will not help us to achieve that. I would hate to see exodus again.
Agree about Wil on the wing and that we don’t need another 18yo midfielder

If pick 6 is the cost then we need to secure some of Rioli pay with it, it’s still way overs but works for both.

If the Tigers insist on 23 we should walk away, they will 100% cave as they are looking to rebuild and Rioli is not part of that , just my opinion

Mark bickley on trade radio has gone thru our midfield and says we are lacking A player with X Factor and Burst like Butters and Warner

you’re not going to believe who we got in our academy …. He just came 2nd in agility and had a very good 20m sprint time.

And we get him for free…. And he’ll come next year as our 7th best midfielder behind Rowell Anderson flanders miller Graham Humphrey

Mark bickley on trade radio has gone thru our midfield and says we are lacking A player with X Factor and Burst like Butters and Warner

you’re not going to believe who we got in our academy …. He just came 2nd in agility and had a very good 20m sprint time.

And we get him for free…. And he’ll come next year as our 7th best midfielder behind Rowell Anderson flanders miller Graham Humphrey
Brilliant isn't it.

And next year a gun outside mid in Uwland.

I'm still hoping Humpa is that x-factor guy in the midfield.

This guy gets it. Just copied some text. Plenty more but not allowed to copy all. Worth reading.

Unpacking the Suns’ four priorities for trade period and national draft​

The footy world is bewildered at the Suns paying top dollar – in this case at least pick 6 – for Daniel Rioli. However, CALLUM DICK writes, the Suns’ priorities are different to most clubs.

Callum Dick

Absolutely spot on this bloke.

Humper has to be a chance to be that X factor player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree about Wil on the wing and that we don’t need another 18yo midfielder

If pick 6 is the cost then we need to secure some of Rioli pay with it, it’s still way overs but works for both.

If the Tigers insist on 23 we should walk away, they will 100% cave as they are looking to rebuild and Rioli is not part of that , just my opinion
Yeah, I don't think Tigers would walk away from pick 6. No 23.

Collingwood are trying to get Dan Houston on the assumption that they will get the Suns' Pick 13.
Yeah, that does not mean Noble for 13. You forgot F1, if I read your post correctly.
The fact that these negotiations are happening at the same time as Noble, a defender worth Picks ~19-25, is being offered for Pick 13 is ridiculous

This is one less impressive aspect about Rioli from the article above.

DEFENSIVE WORK​

Rioli lost 75 per cent of his defensive one-on-ones in 2024, and averaged 0.6 spoils and 3 tackles a game.
Houston only lost a fifth of his defensive one-on-one contests, and recorded 1.3 spoils and 3.5 tackles a game.

This is one less impressive aspect about Rioli from the article above.

DEFENSIVE WORK​

Rioli lost 75 per cent of his defensive one-on-ones in 2024, and averaged 0.6 spoils and 3 tackles a game.
Houston only lost a fifth of his defensive one-on-one contests, and recorded 1.3 spoils and 3.5 tackles a game.
If Rioli somehow gets isolated 1v1 the defence has failed. He also isn't going to be playing on the best small forwards. That's Bodhis job, it's a team defence. 1v1 barely happens anymore.

Richmond are going to be potentially one of the more average teams we have seen in recent times next year with or without Rioli (especially if Bolton does go).

Turning down #6 for him in this draft because you didn’t also get a mid-20s pick (even though they are going to have about 4 picks before that) when it’s already pretty universally considered massive overs, would be a Suns level decision, which unfortunately doesnt happen outside of us.

Whether or not Craig Cameron also sees it this way and knows how to stand up and call a bluff is another question though I guess.

Just on the Dan Rioli trade, did anybody else watch his best and fairest speech?

He talked about his football being good this year because he was so happy off the field with his fiancé. I don’t know about you but I’m concerned about a WAG coming up to the Gold Coast and just not getting the attention she’s used to getting in Melbourne, this could adversely affect Rioli‘s temperament and football. We’ve seen this previously where wives have sooked it up and then the player has moved home a year later. What do you think the chances are of us getting pick Six back if he decide he wants to go back to Richmond in 2026 after a poor year because he isn’t happy?

Unlikely that this will happen, sure. Has it happened before, yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back