2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think we should back out of the Rioli deal at this point. His position is not a hard one to find replacements for and we’re already getting noble who is much cheaper.

Pick 6 was already very excessive and apparently that isn’t enough for them.
Just split the pick.. tigers can then take 2 x mid first rd picks

Did I just read North have offered there future first Rd pick for pick 13!!!

SOLD

I saw that too...

I can only assume that there was more to it than just a straight swap, or our trade guys should be sacked for not accepting it. (or at least making clear to other bidders that it was the offer to beat)

I honestly think we should back out of the Rioli deal at this point. His position is not a hard one to find replacements for and we’re already getting noble who is much cheaper.

Pick 6 was already very excessive and apparently that isn’t enough for them.
I would love this for a number of reasons

1. It shows the club will no longer be abused at this time of year and gives fans something to say, my club has grown up
2. It shows maturity, I’m sure some will disagree but the offer put forward was / very generous and that we acted in good faith
3. Pick 6 on the open market would land us a bonanza

We can't win in the eyes of the media and the general public, either we overpay for Rioli and get shit on, or we back down from the trade and we get shit on for not being able to get a trade done.
In other words, **** the general public and the media.

You are totally correct, however I think there is a lot more to be gained by pulling out. Rioli and his management know the offer made is significantly over his value and the Tigers will wear the brunt of the failure not us. Also the football world will see we have had enough of being bent over and start to come to the party acting accordingly

Last edited:
Boyd does academy coaching stuff at the club and also trained on before we picked Jed Anderson in front of him in 2023. Time to offer a rookie spot

6 for Rioli is obviously overs but I'm not going to lose the plot if it happens...

This year out of half back we had Flanders chip kicking it sideways, Sexton aimlessly bombing it, Budders turning it over a bit too much.... Rioli can come in and make us move the ball even a few % better then we win those games vs Saints, North etc and we are playing finals.

It also sets a precedent of an actual quality player in his prime wanting to come and actually play for us. We get Rioli this year and make finals next year, I can see more star players wanting to make the move north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd does academy coaching stuff at the club and also trained on before we picked Jed Anderson in front of him in 2023. Time to offer a rookie spot

The time is probably right for him to join our list

Does he start over Holman?

I would love this for a number of reasons

1. It shows the club will no longer be abused at this time of year and gives fans something to say, my club has grown up
2. It shows maturity, I’m sure some will disagree but the offer put forward was / very generous and that we acted in good faith
3. Pick 6 on the open market would land us a bonanza

You are totally correct, however I think there is a lot more to be gained by pulling out. Rioli and his management know the offer made is significantly over his value and the Tigers will wear the brunt of the failure not us. Also the football world will see we have had enough of being bent over and start to come to the party acting accordingly
And when we have to start Sexton/Flanders/Jeffery at half back next year and our ball movement is garbage again, we do we do?
6 will end up being enough for Rioli for Richmond, they are just posturing because they need to keep the fans invested.

The time is probably right for him to join our list

Does he start over Holman?
He’s more a mid which is the problem. He’s far improved from when Port used him as a pressure forward. So it would be worth trying that again. I’d guarantee he’d kick more goals than both Berry and Holman. Takes something special to lay 20 tackles in a vfl grand final clearly shows how competitive he is

Port Adelaide is free to send out its future first-round pick at any time after clarification from the AFL, opening the door to a Jack Lukosius deal to be ticked off.
The Power entered the trade period unsure whether they could offload another first rounder, given AFL rules that clubs must use two first-round picks in a four-year period.

Code Sports/Herald Sun

Port can do the Luko trade separate if they wanted to, or combine. We'll see.

Port Adelaide is free to send out its future first-round pick at any time after clarification from the AFL, opening the door to a Jack Lukosius deal to be ticked off.
The Power entered the trade period unsure whether they could offload another first rounder, given AFL rules that clubs must use two first-round picks in a four-year period.

Port Adelaide traded away its first-round picks in the past two drafts and currently the club’s first pick this year comes in at 39, so there was some thought the Power would have to get in a first-rounder in a Dan Houston trade to appease the AFL rule, before being allowed to off-load a future first for Lukosius.

But the AFL confirmed to this masthead on Thursday that there are no restrictions on Port moving that 2025 first rounder.

So the expected deal surrounding Gold Coast sending Lukosius to the Power for a future first can go ahead at any time.
The Suns have been clear they will not pay any of Lukosius’ fat 2025 salary after sending him to South Australia.

Given the Lukosius deal reads as a simpler swap, it could get done as a stand-alone trade.

But the Power, Suns and Collingwood could dive into a more complex three-way deal that would include sending Lukosius to Port Adelaide, Houston to Collingwood, plus the Magpies off-loading John Noble to the Suns and Joe Richards to the Power.

In that deal, the Pies would give up Noble, Richards and their own future first, perhaps with a later pick, for Houston and a sweetener from the Suns, such as pick 23 or 29.

Gold Coast would hand over Lukosius, No.13 and a later pick and gather first-rounders from both the Pies and Power, plus Noble.

And Port Adelaide would pass on Houston and a 2025 round one choice, getting back Richards, pick 13 and a later pick.

POSSIBLE THREE-TEAM TRADES​

WITH JACK LUKOSIUS
ClubGivesGets
CollingwoodJohn Noble, Joe Richards, pick 52, 2025 R1Dan Houston, 29
Gold Coast13, 29, LukosiusNoble, Coll 2025 R1, Port 2025 R1
Port AdelaideHouston, 2025 R1Richards, Lukosius, 13, 52

WITHOUT JACK LUKOSIUS
ClubGivesGets
CollingwoodNoble, Richards, 52, 2025 R1Houston, 29
Gold Coast13, 29Noble, Coll 2025 R1
Port AdelaideHoustonRichards, 13, 52

The Pies have asked for 13 and 23 for Noble and a future pick but the Suns have plenty of other later choices they could throw in instead.

Removing Lukosius from that three-way deal would ease some complication, taking out Port’s future first.

Port Adelaide used top picks in the complicated deal that brought Jason Horne-Francis to Alberton in 2022, so essentially landed a top teenage talent, likely appeasing the AFL in its first-rounder rule.

And the AFL would expect the Power to use pick 13 in the draft should that remain the fulcrum of the Houston trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back