2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

This deal with rioli seems extremely 1 sided. I get a contracted player and just won a BnF at his club. But if the trade is going to be at this stage

GC- pick 6, 23 ( 23 worth 815 points)

RICH- Rioli (no salary paid) 51, 61, 70 (433 points total)

I honestly don't see this happening and if true you honestly shouldn't have a job. Besides getting Rioli we're

1- paying big money where we just saved money in our salary cap
2- losing more points in this draft where we need it to match on lombard.
3- making us more of a laughing stock in the trade period and cracking under pressure

This could be the most thought out and accurate post on out board since Skav

Kinda ironic, considering it’s probably the same human posting it!
Some nerve you have making that accusation we all know who skav really is... sir

I’m not sure why there’s angst about Rioli, or angst in general about trade values as they are happening.

The known superstar trade so rarely happens – much more frequently the Rioli level player moves around. The value in him doesn’t lie (in any way) in what he was able to do for Richmond, but entirely in what he’s able to do for us the next few years.

If Hardwick is correct, Rioli will be an integral part of out group stepping up into finals. And at that point I really couldn’t care about pick 6 and whatever else. Only if he doesn’t perform is it a failure.

The value (or non-value) needs time to eventuate.

I’m not sure why there’s angst about Rioli, or angst in general about trade values as they are happening.

The known superstar trade so rarely happens – much more frequently the Rioli level player moves around. The value in him doesn’t lie (in any way) in what he was able to do for Richmond, but entirely in what he’s able to do for us the next few years.

If Hardwick is correct, Rioli will be an integral part of out group stepping up into finals. And at that point I really couldn’t care about pick 6 and whatever else. Only if he doesn’t perform is it a failure.

The value (or non-value) needs time to eventuate.
100% - here to win premierships not trade periods 💪

With Luko, Atkins out and Rioli, Noble, Lombard in and Clohesy and Uwland upgrade from rookie list - that's 37 players on senior list, no Cat A rookies, 2 Cat B rookies.

12 players one (Ace could come back).

Don't want to trawl through 17 pages to see if anyone posted this, so sorry if this has already been said.

With Gold Coast trading the farm for Rioli, Noble, and picks next year, how is the club supposed to draft Leo Lombard? Lombard is probably going to be drafted at ~6, equivalent of 1751 points - meaning GC need ~1,400 points after the discount. The Noble megatrade has Gold Coast losing a bunch of assets but gaining Pick 39, the equivalent of 446 points.
Where are the rest of the points going to come from if Gold Coast fold on the 6+23 for Rioli deal? Is the club going into a deficit next year and hoping the first round picks from Collingwood and Port are enough to make up the difference? Or are there going to be more deals using the club's fringe players?

Don't want to trawl through 17 pages to see if anyone posted this, so sorry if this has already been said.

With Gold Coast trading the farm for Rioli, Noble, and picks next year, how is the club supposed to draft Leo Lombard? Lombard is probably going to be drafted at ~6, equivalent of 1751 points - meaning GC need ~1,400 points after the discount. The Noble megatrade has Gold Coast losing a bunch of assets but gaining Pick 39, the equivalent of 446 points.
Where are the rest of the points going to come from if Gold Coast fold on the 6+23 for Rioli deal? Is the club going into a deficit next year and hoping the first round picks from Collingwood and Port are enough to make up the difference? Or are there going to be more deals using the club's fringe players?
Exactly what I was saying. There was rumours they are going to get pick 30 (from freo in the Bolton deal) and sent to us which would make more sense and enough points for Lombard. But trading both 6 and 23 for absolute junk picks is rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know a lot of my opinions on this trade period aren't super popular. I think Lukosios is really good and will be back to his best in 2025, I think Rioli is good but isn't nearly as good as Dan Houston who is getting traded for chips by comparison, and I think Noble is pretty meh and is only a slight improvement on Alex Sexton.

But what I would like to say is a hearty Thank You to Rory Atkins on his service to the club. He played decently at senior level in 2024, just not enough to keep his place in the team. But he played like a godeater at VFL level. As someone who puts a lot of value into having a strong Reserves team (one of the forgotten crimes of the McKenna era), I feel his strong VFL performances made it easier for his younger team mates to develop their skills.

Also commend him for working for the club to create his 'Chats With Rat' podcast. The interviews with David Swallow, Touk Miller, Bailey Humphrey and particularly Damien Hardwick were a crucial look behind the curtain, giving both an interesting look into the club during preseason but also providing context for what happened in the past. Kind of funny to think about it, it seems the only way Gold Coast can get the media to interview current players is by paying one of their players to interview for them!

1728989767480.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back