2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

If you lack height and don't have an elite kick or goal kicking instincts then the long term upside is capped. Tell me an elite player at his height he reminds you of?

Don't know why everyone seems so keen to match a bid so high?
Lachie Neale
Will Ashcroft
Tom Mitchell
George Wardlaw
Zak Butters
Darcy Parish
Matt Rowell
Caleb Serong
Zak Merrett
Jack Viney
Touk Miller
Dion Prestia

all under 6'0 and none are noted goal kickers.

As I said. His height may be a factor, but not a major one. And though he isn’t a bad kick, he isn’t exactly a good one either. To me, Lombard seems “more of the same” in terms of our list profile (for us and many other clubs, too).

Not mad to get him, as I think he has a lot of good attributes: explosive, hard working, aggressive at the contest.

But in an open draft where we had Pick 6, we ain’t picking him. We get him because he is from our academy and is highly rated enough, and we could move picks around to get ahead in the future (while we can) while still getting top end (local) talent.

🤞 Luke Trainor or Joe Berry is one... or Malaki Champion but he is an eagles academy player

Boomer Harvey? For argument's sake. Leo will he his own player, and a very good one at that
Harvey knew where the goals were from day 1-a goal and a half a game helps get you picked 432 times for a game of AFL footy

Lachie Neale
Will Ashcroft
Tom Mitchell
George Wardlaw
Zak Butters
Darcy Parish
Matt Rowell
Caleb Serong
Zak Merrett
Jack Viney
Touk Miller
Dion Prestia

all under 6'0 and none are noted goal kickers.
Lombard is listed at 179cm. Levi Ashcroft is also list at 179cm and seems to be the consensus #1 pick this year.

I don't think height is an issue for Lombard and considering he just turned 18 a few weeks ago, he may still be growing.

Last edited:
Lombard suits the modern game, fast, agile, tough. The bigger risks are the big bodied midfielders, if they aren't elite they can find themselves on the outer really quickly. I like the suggestion of trainor as a pick up this year, he's a real talent and something we haven't got coming through the academy, also think we have the list where we can afford to take a risk on his concussion issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back