Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day we were talking about tonight game possibly getting 70,000 a few weeks ago.

Basically, everything worked against it being that. Saturday night plus crap weather plus suspect form plus the wallabies playing at the same time across the road.

52.8k was perfectly acceptable and it was a good turnout from both sets of fans who made a good noise.

Surely Hawks V Collingwood can beat Collingwood V Geelong?

Sure there may be a softening of Collingwood support, but Hawks should believe they can knock ‘em off based on form.

75K + for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
According to Ticketek, all seats including restricted view now sold. Assume they will release more seats plus standing room on Monday.

According to Ticketek, all seats including restricted view now sold. Assume they will release more seats plus standing room on Monday.

They still haven't put up the seats behind Southern Stand goals. But, if the game draws 70k plus it will be third Hawthorn game so far this season, with another against Carlton to come (to go with 67,000 plus on Easter Monday)

Hopefully, the AFL will now schedule Hawthorn in more prime time games, given its schedule has been littered with off broadway games (as pointed out by Kane Cornes today)

Playing Collingwood for example in Gather Round was a huge missed opportunity.

Drawing up to five 65,000 plus home and away games this year (they had 4 last year) points to strong growth when the Hawks are actually in realistic contention.

Of course, whilst the Pies Gather Round match wasn't helpful, the Martin 300th definitely helped but I suspect that game would have drawn 60,000 plus anyway

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Collingwood for example in Gather Round was a huge missed opportunity.

To be fair, someone is going to miss out on a big MCG ground every year that Gather Round continues - almost anywhere given the MCGs size is 40k higher than any other AFL ground (unless they use Accor)

To be fair, someone is going to miss out on a big MCG ground every year that Gather Round continues - almost anywhere given the MCGs size is 40k higher than any other AFL ground (unless they use Accor)

Agreed, but scheduling two of the biggest Victorian clubs (who are both MCG co-tenants) was unusual, as it was in 2007.

Now that Hawthorn is beginning to rise, as I said, there are a heap of high 50,000 fixtures that could become 70,000 plus.

Hopefully the AFL keep these games at the MCG and not make them mid-winter fixtures at Marvel (ala Dons / Blues v Hawks games between 2006 and 2015)

It’s not that bad a day around the MCG area is it? Hopefully rain cleared and with sunshine might be a decent crowd at the G after all.

I'm here with family and friends 😀

Gotta say we've been pretty good for attendances for a team on 2 wins. 4th in attendances.

Today was always gonna be around the 25 odd mark. Many have checked out now being the back end of the season!

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back