Hawthorn (3) : 34,600
Geelong (2) : 30,381
Brisbane (7) : 30,324
Western Bulldogs (4) : 25,801
St Kilda (4) : 21,394
North Melbourne (2) : 17,685
Gold Coast (6) : 16,708
GWS (5) : 11,532

I've only included games where it's in the home city of the team (i.e. not Darwin, Alice Springs, Hobart, Launceston, Ballarat or Canberra). The only team that has played away from it's home ground in it's home city is Collingwood vs West Coast at Marvel. Perhaps they could have drawn more at the MCG, so their average could have been higher.
I suppose this would be close to the 'floor' of most teams.

Looking at that, very surprised by Melbourne's numbers however it is a very small sample size, and still have GWS and Port at home from the top of my head

Freo also turning into a big club, have benefitted greatly from Optus Stadium

It won’t be in the topic of food crowds, but interesting test to see if Richmond can remain above 30K on Sunday against GWS.

I’m feeling 26-28K

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it depends on weather. I’d say between 26-32k as you say. I’d assume they’ll be pushing ‘kids go free’ really, really hard to try and make it respectable.

I suppose this would be close to the 'floor' of most teams.

Looking at that, very surprised by Melbourne's numbers however it is a very small sample size, and still have GWS and Port at home from the top of my head

Freo also turning into a big club, have benefitted greatly from Optus Stadium
Question for Melbourne based supporters - does Brisbane or Sydney tend to have more away supporters at games (it feels like Brisbane)

Pre-2017 and this would be about 20k. 30k would be massive overs.
Things have changed abd there’s more crowd drivers across the league now to bump up crowds generally. Kids go free a case in point. MCC Restricted and Provisional members now get access which might be the difference between getting say 24-25k (pre 2017) to possibly 28-29k this week. All clubs have benefited from different levers to grow crowds, that’s why we’re seeing crowd records broken every week in one way or another.

I remember a game in 1994 when Essendon drew just 25,000 on a reasonable day against the Swans at the MCG.. As if that’s going to happen again! And for trivia buffs, in this game, who arrived on the scene this day?

IMG_0731.jpeg

Last edited:
Things have changed abd there’s more crowd drivers across the league now to bump up crowds generally. Kids go free a case in point. MCC Restricted and Provisional members now get access which might be the difference between getting say 24-25k (pre 2017) to possibly 28-29k this week. All clubs have benefited from different levers to grow crowds, that’s why we’re seeing crowd records broken every week in one way or another.

I remember a game in 1994 when Essendon drew just 25,000 on a reasonable day against the Swans at the MCG.. As if that’s going to happen again! And for trivia buffs, in this game, who arrived on the scene this day?

View attachment 2045100
I remember this! Scotty Cummings kicked 8 goals on debut!

Essendon’s crowd v Freo at the MCG in a few weeks will be an interesting watch. Could be north of 50-55k if Essendon continue winning.

We have drawn 48k v Brisbane and 60k v Sydney at the ‘G in 2017 and 2019 respectively.

Collingwood got 61k against Fremantle last year, but other than that the Dockers have never gone higher than 45k in Victoria.

If results go the right way, I can see it passing 50k, which would be a great turnout.

Essendon’s crowd v Freo at the MCG in a few weeks will be an interesting watch. Could be north of 50-55k if Essendon continue winning.

We have drawn 48k v Brisbane and 60k v Sydney at the ‘G in 2017 and 2019 respectively.
It all comes down to 3-4 factors aligning to get a 50,000+ crowd against a Dockers / Power type opposition.

Firstly, Essendon need to be realistically in the top 4 race having won the week before this game. Secondly, the Dockers need to be at that time a viable and believable finals aspirant and as a result this game is elevated to a ‘blockbuster’ status in the wider footy public’s mind. And of course, the weather.

Without all these factors it won’t get the necessary additional tailwinds of footy fans outside of these two clubs filling the AFL and MCC reserves that is needed for these big crowds. It’s in these circumstances for these type of games that illustrate why the MCG will draw additional crowds than those at Marvel.

So, it could be anything at this stage, between 30,000 - 50,000+. I don’t yet think the Dockers are trustworthy, likely lose to the Hawks this week as example! Essendon can still disappoint. Let’s see.

I expect Freo to win at least 2 out of the next 3 if not all 3 - it will also be a big game for bomber fans and I know of a few Freo fans mentioning they’re flying over. It should get at a minimum 40k as both will be still playing for positions in the top 8 and hopefully top 4. Hopefully can get up towards the 60k mark.

I expect Freo to win at least 2 out of the next 3 if not all 3 - it will also be a big game for bomber fans and I know of a few Freo fans mentioning they’re flying over. It should get at a minimum 40k as both will be still playing for positions in the top 8 and hopefully top 4. Hopefully can get up towards the 60k mark.
I love these quirky fixtures for us. As we are a Marvel tenant, it is sometimes nice to play some interstate or non-Big 5 Vic Clubs at the MCG.

This really depends on how well we are going but if we are up and about, we should be getting 50,000 + to games against Freo, GWS, Port & Suns.
Last season vs Port was really poor though, and I am still annoyed by that 37,000 odd figure especially when we were in pretty good form.

Games against Lions and Swans we can clear 60,000+ I feel with the right timeslot, conditions and form.

I love these quirky fixtures for us. As we are a Marvel tenant, it is sometimes nice to play some interstate or non-Big 5 Vic Clubs at the MCG.

This really depends on how well we are going but if we are up and about, we should be getting 50,000 + to games against Freo, GWS, Port & Suns.
Last season vs Port was really poor though, and I am still annoyed by that 37,000 odd figure especially when we were in pretty good form.

Games against Lions and Swans we can clear 60,000+ I feel with the right timeslot, conditions and form.
That Port game was on a wet Saturday night. I think 40K would have been nice but it was not terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Port game was on a wet Saturday night. I think 40K would have been nice but it was not terrible.
Agree. Expectations can be warped at times. It was an ordinary night weather wise and I at the time said here that there’s nothing wrong with 39,000 on a wettish Saturday night in middle Winter.

To compare this Freo game potential with some of the recent Collingwood crowds (~60,000) is not comparing apples with apples. These Pies crowds were recorded by a team whose form was franked at the time in time slots that were perfect for drawing families, opposition fans and interstate travelling fans. The Saturday 1:45pm / Sunday 1pm slots are much more conducive to strong crowds than 3:30pm Sunday is this Bombers / Dockers game will be.

If form lines continue, Essendon win week prior and it’s a sunny day, it could draw 45-50k. Certainly if it was Saturday afternoon. But Sunday 3:20pm? I’m not as certain. And that would be the third biggest crowd the Dockers have played in a H&A game in Melbourne. And that is 30 years of games Vs Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond. So, perspective and reality should be considered.

Last edited:

It's kind of strange (and nice) to get an MCG game against the Bombers when we're playing Hawthorn in Tassie and played Melbourne in Alice Springs. Freo in general have played well in Melbourne in the last two and a half seasons so should be a cracking game.

The next crowd of 70k+ will be the 14th for the season - a new record.

The next crowd of 80k+ will be the 9th for the season - tying the record.

We still need 7 crowds of 60k+ to equal that record (around 9 feasible chances).

We still need 12 crowds of 50k+ to equal that record (will need some out of Perth Stadium to get there)

We've already equalled the 90k+ record but it will be difficult to get another of those to break it.

The next crowd of 70k+ will be the 14th for the season - a new record.

The next crowd of 80k+ will be the 9th for the season - tying the record.

We still need 7 crowds of 60k+ to equal that record (around 9 feasible chances).

We still need 12 crowds of 50k+ to equal that record (will need some out of Perth Stadium to get there)

We've already equalled the 90k+ record but it will be difficult to get another of those to break it.
Hoping for 80k tonight.

Collingwood still have some big crowds left in them this season, games at the MCG against Hawthorn, Richmond and Carlton as well Brisbane and Melbourne in the last 2 rounds which could have finals ramifications

This is the 14th AFL game of the year to pass 70,000 in attendance - likely a new record for the AFL - and the 12th highest attendance for the year.

Almost 10% (9.65%) of matches this season have reached the 70k mark)

This is now more games for the season over the 70k mark than 2023. (13) and the 8th season to reach double figures in the AFL era. 2019 - 10, 2018 - 10, 2013 - 11, 2011 - 12, 2010 - 10, 1995 - 11.

There are still 6 rounds to go with several matches capable of reaching that mark.

This is the 14th AFL game of the year to pass 70,000 in attendance - likely a new record for the AFL - and the 12th highest attendance for the year.

Almost 10% (9.65%) of matches this season have reached the 70k mark)

This is now more games for the season over the 70k mark than 2023. (13) and the 8th season to reach double figures in the AFL era. 2019 - 10, 2018 - 10, 2013 - 11, 2011 - 12, 2010 - 10, 1995 - 11.

There are still 6 rounds to go with several matches capable of reaching that mark.

Imagine if Perth built an 80K like they should have.

The more I think about tonight it really should be a 60.

Must win in the eyes of both clubs and last week should give both supporters hope.

If the bomber fans aren’t awoken yet, they may just sleep through the ride of a lifetime.

It’s weather dependent. If the showers start after lunch and it’s a gloomy afternoon, they takes the wind out of the sails and impacts the GA / MCC walkup which as most will be Essendon away supporters, will significantly impact the crowd. Saturday night doesn’t bring families either so I doubt it hits 60k. If day game, highly likely.

LOL the reactions from a number of posters was not too complimentary towards the Dons fans if I remember correctly.
There are a few people that always want other teams to fail with crowd sizes
The more I think about tonight it really should be a 60.

Must win in the eyes of both clubs and last week should give both supporters hope.

If the bomber fans aren’t awoken yet, they may just sleep through the ride of a lifetime.

Best game for reference that I have was Melbourne Carlton in round 22 2022.
Melbourne were top 4 and Carlton has to win to make top 8.
Saturday night game on a very cold night, it drew 55,000.

Slightly impacted by Covid still, but I think that is where we will be tonight.

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back