Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 14: Brisbane Lions v St Kilda Saints, Friday 14th of June 7:40pm AEST, Gabba, Brisbane, Yugerra, Toorabul

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not convinced it's all him.

Both he and Sharman keep swapping, each time they blitz it in the VFL then when they play senior footy they stink it up. Like everyone else trying to play as a forward for the senior AFL team.

Seems like playing forward for us is an incredibly hard task and maybe that's the bigger issue.

Our forward line definetly lacks talent, King's career spluttering is a big part of the problem as our forward entry mechanism is King centric and because King hasn't been firing for a very long time the forward line suffers.

I'd like to see King trialled in the Ruck and not be used as the deepest tall and let Caminiti be given a go as the deepest tall to see if he can be our number one banana in the forward line.

But agree our forwards are well off the pace and a big reason we don't score more...

Our forward line definitely lacks talent, King's career spluttering is a big part of the problem as our forward entry mechanism is King centric and because King hasn't been firing for a very long time the forward line suffers.

I'd like to see King trialed in the Ruck and not be used as the deepest tall and let Caminiti be given a go as the deepest tall to see if he can be our number one banana in the forward line.

But agree our forwards are well off the pace and a big reason we don't score more...

I'm wondering if King is still lacking confidence in his shoulder too. He's not attacking the highest point of the ball drop, and just not launching as often or as effectively as he was a couple of years back.

Defence has been our #1 Wood all season. Tonight no NAS, JWeb or Howard. Bring in a first gamer in Schoonerskoller (hope he goes well).

Interstate game off a 6 day break and Brisbane just starting to hit some form with no changes.

All in all I wouldn’t be expecting too much tonight. Hope I’m completely off the mark!

I'm wondering if King is still lacking confidence in his shoulder too. He's not attacking the highest point of the ball drop, and just not launching as often or as effectively as he was a couple of years back.
I tend to agree it's possibly related to his confidence in his body, I wonder if it's also his knees he worries about too possibly still carrying some mental scars from his knee reco...

Some players are never the same after a serious shoulder injury.

Does he now have a glass jaw to use the boxing vernacular.

No Webster, Paton of Stocker the Brisbane small forwards will have a night out. I cant believe Lyon didnt bring Paton in to play as a stopper on Cameron or Bailey. Then Seb Ross still getting a game, he really does love playing favourites regardless of form. Its not that I dont want to win but common sense suggests Brisbane to have a big win something close to 60 points.

With Dusty playing his 300th you would think Richmond will win even with Hawthorns current form, so I dont think it will be long until we are 15th or 16th on the ladder where we will remain.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't see us winning this one.
For some reason Brisbane have been ordinary this year so far, but they still look good on paper.
So, I'm going to go shock tactics???

B. Henry King Wilkie

H.B. Sinclair Caminiti Wilson

C. Dow Clark Hill

H.F. Butler Battle Wood

F. Higgins Sharman Owens

Foll. Marshall Steele Windhager

I/C. Cordy, Sch'maker, Ross, Jones, Bonner

For some reason Brisbane have been ordinary this year so far, but they still look good on paper.

B. Henry King Wilkie

C. Dow Clark Hill

H.F. Butler Battle Wood

F. Higgins Sharman Owens

Has Caminiti ever trained with the backline?
I think if you dont train it you don't play it in Ross Lyon teams?

I'd like to see King trialled in the Ruck

He would be so much more imposing and useful as a player if he could do 5 minutes a quarter in the ruck. It would give us huge flexibility around him and give him a chance to impact the game even if the defence is on top for a while. Surely the only reason they don't try it is because his body isn't up to it.

He was 23 when he played his first game ,and he played 16 games.
You don't get as much slack at that age.
You can expect some improvement after training in an elite program ( were we elite )? but i'd suggest the club figured, that after 2 years he really wasn't that much different than he was on day 1.
He was seen as promising by fans, that t much I remember. But when he came back into the side, he kicked poorly on a few occasions that really stuck out. It was his chance to shine. He was dropped. Sure, he may have played OK for Sandy later, but so does Membrey nowadays. He was definitely given a chance that day and it was too much. Never recovered.

And I agree, at that age you don't get a lot of latitude I suppose.
And we now have players doing well at Sandy who just don't shine at AFL level too.

B. Henry King Wilkie

C. Dow Clark Hill

H.F. Butler Battle Wood

F. Higgins Sharman Owens

Might be easier to just get the players to stay where they finish at quarter and three quarter time.

Serious shoulder injuries are hard to come back from fully, but as a footballer playing in a key position, it's a hard ask considering hard body work and marking are your tools. Subconsciously there is a bit of self-protection going on naturally. I had serious hammy injuries in my younger footy days, and when I recovered, I was always very aware of not accelerating too fast in fear of another tear.
Max is very athletic and skilful, but doesn't look to me to have a really powerful core like some KPPs, which sort of explains why he doesn't do great in one on one body contests- he does much better with room to move and should be up around half forward with some space around- definitely wouldn't risk him in the ruck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back