Team Mgmt. 2024 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it goes without saying that our defensive structure was well out of kilter this year.

We had a slew of defenders that are good interceptors but struggle when having to defend 1v1 consistently (see McKay, Ridley and even Laverde is a quality interceptor).
With the ball coming thick and fast with little pressure like it was for most of the year, we exacerbated their weaknesses.

We moved to a high press to try and counter this, because if you have a team full of interceptors then setting up a zone or press further up the field can mask some of their 1v1 deficiencies and allow to them to guard space in a crowded area. But if it gets out the back of that press (like it did far too often due to next to no forward half pressure) you are cooked.

Suffice to say we need to re-jig the structure. Reid staying fit is weirdly crucial yet entirely unreliable at the same time. I am unsure whether Hayes is ready for weekly lock down roles at senior level, but for the benefit of long term thinking would play him as much as I can next year if Reid ain't fit.

The right balance for me
2 x Genuine KPD's: McKay and Reid/Hayes
1 x designated Interceptor: Ridley
1 x lockdown flex defender (tall and medium): currently Kelly? but maybe Cox?
1 x attacking half back: Redman
2 x balanced smalls: McGrath and Roberts?

Obviously with Laverde possibly leaving, Hind and Wanganeen being moved on and and Heppel retiring, we are really short on depth and options.

I also wonder whether a couple of those positions could be upgraded. I think at least 2 defenders need to be added regardless of whether we lose Laverde.

I think it goes without saying that our defensive structure was well out of kilter this year.

We had a slew of defenders that are good interceptors but struggle when having to defend 1v1 consistently (see McKay, Ridley and even Laverde is a quality interceptor).
With the ball coming thick and fast with little pressure like it was for most of the year, we exacerbated their weaknesses.

We moved to a high press to try and counter this, because if you have a team full of interceptors then setting up a zone or press further up the field can mask some of their 1v1 deficiencies and allow to them to guard space in a crowded area. But if it gets out the back of that press (like it did far too often due to next to no forward half pressure) you are cooked.

Suffice to say we need to re-jig the structure. Reid staying fit is weirdly crucial yet entirely unreliable at the same time. I am unsure whether Hayes is ready for weekly lock down roles at senior level, but for the benefit of long term thinking would play him as much as I can next year if Reid ain't fit.

The right balance for me
2 x Genuine KPD's: McKay and Reid/Hayes
1 x mid sized Interceptor: Ridley
1 x lockdown flex defender (tall and medium): currently Kelly? but maybe Cox?
1 x attacking half back: Redman
1 x balanced smalls: McGrath and Roberts?

Obviously with Laverde possibly leaving, Hind and Wanganeen being moved on and and Heppel retiring, we are really short on depth and options.

I also wonder whether a couple of those positions could be upgraded. I think at least 2 defenders need to be added regardless of whether we lose Laverde.
I like that balance, I would argue the depth is what killed us. Players got complacent and as such early season form dropped off.

Just imagine;

an early 2024 McGrath
an early 2024 McKay
2023 Redman

A fit Jordan Ridley
a fit and firing Zac Reid
leaves us with one spot to on a half back flank and maybe a 7th defender (Roberts)

I don’t think our backline is that bad. Individually some of them were getting talked up earlier in the season. McGrath and McKay especially were looking really good. Losing Reid and Ridley from round 1 put us behind the 8 ball. Redman had a below par season but he was in the AA squad last year. Get Martin out of there and let Redman get back to his best.

Who knows what the future holds and if we can get our best available players together at once but if we do I think we could be in a good position.

I think it’s more of our forward line that we need to worry about. The transition we let teams get from our front half puts a lot of pressure on our defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

could be both now that you mention it
Jones is not soft. He can not take a contested mark consistently but he does not choose when he attacks the footy.

We can’t rely on Reid or Ridley all of a sudden becoming fit and healthy and having big years. It would be great but unlikely. Cox has shown he is too soft and even though contracted will more than likely play out his time in the twos before he is gone. Jones is worth trying at CHB as he would provide flexibility we haven’t had since Hooker. Being able to pinch hit in 3 positions gives the coach good plan B options in game. I suppose a good question is does Scott ever have a plan B?

We can’t rely on Reid or Ridley all of a sudden becoming fit and healthy and having big years. It would be great but unlikely. Cox has shown he is too soft and even though contracted will more than likely play out his time in the twos before he is gone. Jones is worth trying at CHB as he would provide flexibility we haven’t had since Hooker. Being able to pinch hit in 3 positions gives the coach good plan B options in game. I suppose a good question is does Scott ever have a plan B?

Scott doesn’t really have a plan A beyond Effort and running his top players into the ground

Scott doesn’t really have a plan A beyond Effort and running his top players into the ground

Who should've been coach instead of Scott? Would you change the coach now?

I know when Scott was appointed I said he might not be the one to take us to a premiership, but he could help change the culture, and I still think that's the case. If they sacked Scott tomorrow and appointed a new coach it could have a positive impact, but it could also put us back a step and create more turmoil at the club.

Who should've been coach instead of Scott? Would you change the coach now?

I know when Scott was appointed I said he might not be the one to take us to a premiership, but he could help change the culture, and I still think that's the case. If they sacked Scott tomorrow and appointed a new coach it could have a positive impact, but it could also put us back a step and create more turmoil at the club.

I wouldn’t change the Coach.

That absolves the responsibility of everyone else who’s contributed to the lack of professionalism and standards in the group.

Scott has his flaws but one thing he’s good at is politics and he’s putting those skills to good use and from all acounts Essendon is a much better place to work.

at the same time I’m more then happy to pot the hypocracy and double standards.

I wouldn’t change the Coach.

That absolves the responsibility of everyone else who’s contributed to the lack of professionalism and standards in the group.

Scott has his flaws but one thing he’s good at is politics and he’s putting those skills to good use and from all acounts Essendon is a much better place to work.

at the same time I’m more then happy to pot the hypocracy and double standards.

Fair point. Personally I'd bump a bunch of senior players in an effort to fast track the culture change. Bring in a few guys in their early 20s to replace them, and then play the best team each week regardless of age. And play the players in their best positions. Reward effort and drop anyone who doesn't put in 100%.

A bunch of new younger faces in the group would probably make them all more eager to please, and be willing to try their hearts out to get a go. I just get the feeling there's still a bit of the tail wagging the dog with the older guys, and that's going to infect the younger ones over time. Bad culture can be passed on just like good culture can.

Of course you do see average to poor sides regularly rolled my out very good plans and getting them right more often than not. Then they roll out plan B with decent results too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. 2024 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back