Opinion We need to move back to the MCG

Should the Bombers play the majority of home games at the MCG (let's say a minimum of 7)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH it doesn’t really bother me that much. We play plenty of games at the G.

The future does interest me. I was reading this year that the stadium has hit the midpoint of its life - most agree they generally are in use for 50 years and we have hit the 25 year mark. Hence the major upgrades. But the AFL will have to start considerations at some point over the next decade about what they are going to do strategically. Will they look to level it and rebuild, or sell the property and relocate their second stadium.

The reality is the stadium remains fairly unloved - it has a lot of problems of its own and relating to its surrounds. I wouldn’t discount the chances of the AFL looking to up and move.

This will be a lot about us because we remain the anchor tenant. Do we parlay that into some sort of good deal at a new stadium? Or use it as a bargaining chip to move back to the G?

The future does interest me. I was reading this year that the stadium has hit the midpoint of its life - most agree they generally are in use for 50 years and we have hit the 25 year mark. Hence the major upgrades. But the AFL will have to start considerations at some point over the next decade about what they are going to do strategically. Will they look to level it and rebuild, or sell the property and relocate their second stadium.

The reality is the stadium remains fairly unloved - it has a lot of problems of its own and relating to its surrounds. I wouldn’t discount the chances of the AFL looking to up and move.

This will be a lot about us because we remain the anchor tenant. Do we parlay that into some sort of good deal at a new stadium? Or use it as a bargaining chip to move back to the G?
50 years is the upper end of the range. 30 is the lower end.

To be honest it's already feeling like the elephant in the room to me. We've just come off an "upgrade" but that was more the precinct than the stadium wasn't it?

Last edited:
It is. We are not a poor side because we play games at Marvel. We are a poor side because we ****ed ourselves with the saga and have had some average list builds, several coaches and for a while limited resources put into development. It has nothing to do with the MCG. Good sides just win. There is no magic wand in playing 15 games at the MCG.
I misread your post and thought you were talking about the move from windy Hill to the mcg.

So where would the second stadium be? Mars stadium?

To be honest it's already feeling like the elephant in the room to me. We've just come off an "upgrade" but that was more the precinct than the stadium wasn't it?

There has been some pretty major stuff done at the main entrances, they’ve been opened right up with some major structural changes. Entering through the southern and eastern side is very different now.

Almost all of the ground floor concourse and been renovated with new stores and outlets too.

So definitely some changes, but nothing that probably changes your experience from your seat.

So where would the second stadium be? Mars stadium?

There’ll be two stadiums in Melbourne. I think Goschs Paddock is the big one in terms of location and space. If there’s sufficient will between the government and the AFL, they could build a 40k - 50k seater there. The AFL would realise plenty of cash if they sold Docklands that could pay a big whack of it.

It wouldn’t be terribly unpopular politically, Docklands is not loved, and the AFL clubs could get behind it which is a huge stack of voters.

There has been some pretty major stuff done at the main entrances, they’ve been opened right up with some major structural changes. Entering through the southern and eastern side is very different now.

Almost all of the ground floor concourse and been renovated with new stores and outlets too.

So definitely some changes, but nothing that probably changes your experience from your seat.

When was the last time Docklands got a seating replacement? Has it ever had a full seating replacement? I know the Medallion club seats have been replaced to black seats but it seems bizarre to renovate and have nothing change in the seating bowl.

The MCG is 171 years old...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion We need to move back to the MCG

Back