Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. JSoS has about as much chance of playing defence as Kemp has of playing third tall forward.

There are a few who have advocated for Kemp going fwd and JSoS going backwards. Spitballing and amounts to the exact same thing.
I don’t mind that idea at all. Jacks only issue is his goal kicking. He is strong and very good at outbodying opponents, plus his footy brain and knowing where to be could be huge assets in defence. Kemp is very good overhead so could play 3rd tall and take some heat away from Charlie & Big H.

Saw Kennedy at Camberwell market on the weekend. Seemed slimmer to me, though he was wearing a largish t-shirt so i could be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is defintely a lot fitter and is covering the ground better than I have ever seen him. No injuries and doing a full pre season and he has really matured over the last 2-3 years.

When he started he was very introverted. Now is mature and focused on being the best player he can be.

I expect a massive year from him.

Really tough call. Probably depends on form. Based on last year Hewett marginally. I thought both were better in 2022 though so if Kennedy can get back to that and Hewett not he might get the nod.

What I don't want to see is Voss trying to shoehorn them both in the side at the expense of team balance. Itd be temping as both are in our best 12 or so players but that doesn't mean both are in our best team.

Could see Voss alternating them as sub to avoid having one miss out.😂
Both will play.
Our first choice pure midfield rotation currently is: Cripps Walsh Cerra Hewett Kennedy Docherty.

Will be interesting on this.

I don't think there is a good outcome for us but it isn't a season killer either.
  • Pitto to ruck < TDK in ruck for mine due to the around the ground skills
  • TDK to third fwd tall < JSoS for mine because as soon as the ball hits the ground TDK gets a bit lost compared to what JSoS offers without the ball in hand
  • Pitto/TDK to a 2 man ruck IMO is < TDK/JSoS due to speed/utility balance. I don't buy the Pitto/TDK combo wins us games as he was not there when we won 5 of the 9 games in a row.
  • Young and Kennedy's chances improve for round 0.
  • As an aside...I think the difference between JSoS playing relief ruck vs Young/or potentially Mckay is JSoS commits. The other two wont so that means Pitto/TDK.

Does the JSOS injury open the door for Kemp as our third tall forward?
Looks like he’s behind Marchbank and McGovern in defence.
Or do we go with TDK rotating with Kennedy/cripps with big H playing the hit up role
Might mean getting E Hollands/Fantasia into the forward mix becomes easier.

Both will play.
Our first choice pure midfield rotation currently is: Cripps Walsh Cerra Hewett Kennedy Docherty.

I'd be surprised if we do (unless one of them starts as sub). Not many teams actually have 6 players as a 1st choice mid rotation. Usually 4-5 max. If Kennedy and Hewett both play Walsh and Cerra will be forced to a flank quite often, as Kennedy and Hewett aren't versatile enough to play anywhere else. Similar to when we played the 5 mids in 2022. We went away from that last year to get more balance in our midfield and to ensure our best 3 (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra) were in there as often as possible.

IMO Fantasia barring injuries to others will have to kill it in the VFL to earn a spot.

I just can't see him being a walk up into our best 22 as so many here seem to think.

Of course I hope he does well as small forward along with ruck were our weakest positions last season.

We have multiple A graders in all other spots.

Signs are good that TDK can take the next step this year and elevate our ruck stocks.

Motlop, Orazio, Durds, Owies and even E. Hollands can all fight to improve us in this most important position.

I know E. Hollands is mid-size but could play small I feel.

IMO Jessie will be the big improver and if he could bag 30 plus and set up many more this would go a long way to fixing this area of our team.

And E.Hollands is a classy, powerful player with great goal sense and elite running power that would be a very difficult match up.

So for mine, E.Hollands (after rd.2) and Jessie are the two.

Interesting times, Moir looks very exciting also and JSOS going down could open the door for him?

With the JSOS news and likely no Weitering I wonder if Young plays round 0 and just follows Daniher into the ruck.
I got a feeling we’ll play a smaller backline to handle their crumbing forwards. No point playing a lock down key defender role if all they’re going to do is bring the ball to ground

Update

B: Boyd Weitering McGovern
HB: Williams Marchbank Saad
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF: Docherty McKay Motlop
F: Curnow TDK Martin
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Cerra Newman E.Hollands Fantasia Hewett
E: Cottrell Fogarty Cincotta Kemp

Looks strong, and with depth. My concern is that we will lose someone of Kemps quality come end of year - we must cash in with a flag this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update

B: Boyd Weitering McGovern
HB: Williams Marchbank Saad
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF: Docherty McKay Motlop
F: Curnow TDK Martin
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Cerra Newman E.Hollands Fantasia Hewett
E: Cottrell Fogarty Cincotta Kemp
handy emergencies.....

Round 1: Assuming they have over-scoped Weitering.

McGovern Weitering Newman
Williams Marchbank Saad

Pitto Cerra Walsh
Acres Cripps Hollands

Cottrell Mckay Martin
TDK Curnow Fantasia

Docherty, Hewett, (Kemp, Boyd, Cinc, Cowan), Kennedy

With JSoS out, E Hollands to miss a few; and if you choose Fantasia an attacking forward, then it seems a waste to pick one defensive small fwd by himself in Durdin, Fogarty or Owies.

This leaves more utility types in Cottrell and Cunners to pinch hit until E hollands plays. They both offer something else in that they can play more wing/midfield respectively.

Who wins 'Cottrell vs Cunners' for round 1. Stats are incredibly close for 2023.

Cunners has more upside because of potentially completing a full preseason. Plus he must have the 'last chance' mindset. But for some reason i feel Cottrell is more reliable...god knows why.

With JSOS out, I'm only making a small revision to my Best 22 + Sub

FB: Marchbank, Weitering, Boyd
HB: Williams, McGovern, Saad

C: Acres, Cripps, O Hollands
R: De Koning, Cerra, Walsh

HF: Martin, Curnow, E Hollands
FF: Fantasia, McKay, Motlop

Int: Newman (def), Hewett (inside), Docherty (mid/wing), Pitto
Sub: C Durdin

For Round 1 & 2, E Hollands needs to be replaced by Cunners
Let's start with this team and bounce the ball aready!

Yep that’s my 22 too, it’s C Durdin v Orazio for a small fwd spot me thinks, but I have Orazio in for now too

Happy to go into games with that side. First 2 weeks, think Kennedy plays for Elijah, and most likely ongoing

Looks strong, and with depth. My concern is that we will lose someone of Kemps quality come end of year - we must cash in with a flag this year
He's next in line to replace/cover for Marchbank & McGovern, and potentially plays the first few games with Weiters out.

Say he's the one to cover all 3 (ignoring Young or Durdin for the minute); Weitering misses 3, maybe Gov & Marchy combine for 35? That's still another 20-odd games left that he could play. Even if MM & CM play 40 combined, which seems unlikely based on history, that's still about 15 games he could play, which is almost as many as he got last season.

I reckon if he gets 15+ in this team he's happy.

And that's ignoring a scenario where we play 4 taller/hybrid types down back, or he swings forward or gets games as the sub as a utility, or Marchy plays less than 15-odd games, etc.

IMO Fantasia barring injuries to others will have to kill it in the VFL to earn a spot.

I just can't see him being a walk up into our best 22 as so many here seem to think.

Of course I hope he does well as small forward along with ruck were our weakest positions last season.

We have multiple A graders in all other spots.

Signs are good that TDK can take the next step this year and elevate our ruck stocks.

Motlop, Orazio, Durds, Owies and even E. Hollands can all fight to improve us in this most important position.

I know E. Hollands is mid-size but could play small I feel.

IMO Jessie will be the big improver and if he could bag 30 plus and set up many more this would go a long way to fixing this area of our team.

And E.Hollands is a classy, powerful player with great goal sense and elite running power that would be a very difficult match up.

So for mine, E.Hollands (after rd.2) and Jessie are the two.

Interesting times, Moir looks very exciting also and JSOS going down could open the door for him?
How come?

This is so incredibly exciting - with a number of boys in the VFL with finals experience too who can come in and do a role.

I like this team.

I really like Durdin as sub. I reckon we got the type of player wrong a bit last year for the sub. Needs to be a high impact player who we can inject straight into the play.

C Durdin. Like a few others who have developed as a forward has some really good midfield ability and I want to see him further develop that. His speed and creativity would be great coming on as a sub, throw him in the middle, up forward etc, that would be great.

Will be interesting to see what the new faces can bring. Fantasia, Hollands and Williams if they are fit, they are coming into a strong side, could really take us up a level.

Some good names missing. Owies was good last year, will push hard. Cowan, Kemp and Cincotta will be smashing the door down if they aren't in the side. Expecting both to go up a level. I still have a good feeling around Wilson as well, could be a bolter.

I get the feeling if we feel we have a weak spot in another area, maybe we do another Docherty, move a really good defender there. This is where the glut of talent is on our list.

It's going to be a lot of fun this season, it's going to be great watching our reserves as well.

McGovern Weitering Boyd
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps O Hollands
E Hollands DeKoning Martin
Fantasia Curnow McKay
Pittonet Cerra Walsh
Newman Docherty Kennedy/Hewett Motlop
C Durdin

Kemp S Durdin Carroll
Cowan Young Cincotta
Binns Hewett/Kennedy Cottrell
Cuningham Moir Fogarty
Owies Lemmy C Durdin
O'Keefe Carroll Wilson
Mirkov Akuei Monahan *Silvagni

first 22 will be something like that. Like that side, plenty of quality. The reserves side is good as well, particularly when you add some of the better VFL players to that. Backline is absolutely stacked. Midfield fairly good. Forward line not too bad.

I like this team.

I really like Durdin as sub. I reckon we got the type of player wrong a bit last year for the sub. Needs to be a high impact player who we can inject straight into the play.

C Durdin. Like a few others who have developed as a forward has some really good midfield ability and I want to see him further develop that. His speed and creativity would be great coming on as a sub, throw him in the middle, up forward etc, that would be great.

Will be interesting to see what the new faces can bring. Fantasia, Hollands and Williams if they are fit, they are coming into a strong side, could really take us up a level.

Some good names missing. Owies was good last year, will push hard. Cowan, Kemp and Cincotta will be smashing the door down if they aren't in the side. Expecting both to go up a level. I still have a good feeling around Wilson as well, could be a bolter.

I get the feeling if we feel we have a weak spot in another area, maybe we do another Docherty, move a really good defender there. This is where the glut of talent is on our list.

It's going to be a lot of fun this season, it's going to be great watching our reserves as well.
That’s the exciting part, with a capable squad we can now mix & match, and try out different strategies/ game plans as required :)

Exciting times - bring on the 17th cup!

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back