List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid has me torn and i have no idea where to place him in the draft but anything higher than #23 / #24 i would not be over the moon

But in saying that he just looks like such a brute of a kid and could well become a Push Hawkins type FF thats just about ready to go. His athletic traits apart from leap look surprisingly impressive for such a big heavy kid thats 200cm 100+kgs
But is he a man child at the lower level ? Or has he the talent to translate to AFL

I have the same feelings about him as i did with Josh Treacy
I would love to see combine comparisons between the 2 if anybody knows how to find them
Treacy and Gerreyn are two different types, one is solely a forward the other is a ruck/forward (vice versa).

To me, Gerreyn is exactly the sort of bloke that you want to bring in with all of the others, one that can grow with the group as a whole. He's got a bit of mongrel, is a leader, pretty much like Nank but with Tex Walkers kicking

He'd be a weapon on a wing and pushing forward imo, goes all day and finishes beautifully.
At VFL level at this stage. Unable as yet to prove himself at senior level.
Maybe let him train with the seniors over summer and see how he handles the step up, but bottom line, he’s an unknown quantity at this stage and being talked up like he’s a sure thing. If someone else takes the punt on him, good luck to him

Hey I’ve been wrong before, but to me you’ve purposely decimated your side. With more pain to come as 6 important players over the age of 30.

You’ll obviously address this part next month, but currently have no elite young talent.

As for 2025, north and west coast have added solid contributors to their list, you’ve cut it.
Can’t see anything else but a spoon
In 2025 and probably the three peat in 2026.
If we nail this draft, and we should with the selections we’ve acquired, we will be waving to your club on the way up in 2026.

Last edited:
Now this is the sort of assessment we get from people who take a superficial look at our results and our list, I would class a few of our supporters like this too.

I wouldn't say that we've purposely decimated our side, that's exactly what North did and to judge us by North's list management decisions is disingenuous at the least and ignorant at best.

We lost an ageing HBF with shot ankles, a position that's probably one of the easiest to fill.

A short utility who was on the cusp of leaving multiple times over the last 6 years.

An injury prone, slow, defensive mid, who's skillset doesn't gel with a run and gun game.

One that will hurt the most was a dynamic mid forward who's a game changer. But even then, he was a flight risk from day 1 and we did well to keep him for as long as we did.

Of course they're all multi premiership players and as a whole, will leave a hole. So as far as "cutting" our list is concerned, I see it more as a bit of a tidy up and trim.

You finished last

You lost your best and fairest.

You lost your equal 5th best and fairest

You lost your other equal fifth best and fairest

Your remaining best players are all around 30

I’m not trying to fight and enjoy chatting footy, but facts are facts

Nobodies saying he's a superstar and the next Dusty ffs's. Where people are frustrated is that we had 4 list spots, club said we'd take 3 players then only took 2. He was already in our system, could slot straight in no moving states, learning the Coaches, game plan, getting a feel for our players etc. He was killing it in magoos and critically to us at the time kicking goals regularly in a team basically made up of a patchwork of suburban mids. Our fwd line was dreadful with plenty of players like Graham, MRJ, Campbell, Samson having lean patches where some wouldn't kick a goal for several to 6-8 weeks.

Mid season rookies basically get a 6 month contract of $50k. Our injury list was 10 -12 deep at the time with several in the 22 in and out from several injuries. Some people watch a lot of VFL and it was bloody obvious at the time that Davidson was special...... fast forward to he ended up winning that award where the previous 17 winners all got drafted straight after. We've got complete duds like Dow and Ryan on our list for varying reasons. Neither are AFL standard, they do bugger all at VFL too. People are p1ssed that the club had a perfect chance to get Davidson for nothing and squandered it. Durham, Dambrosio, McDonaugh were all stolen from under our nose where by virtue of being up the top we didn't have much chance of getting them.

We had the perfect chance for Davidson and the club the bed. Not all players are superstars and majority of our recent 1st round selections were all lost to AFL by 22/23. Some club will get Davidson before us and who knows how good his career will pan out. But he should've been ours for nothing.

Davidson is ‘special’ you say.

Where do you think such a special player will be drafted? Can’t possibly be below 30, surely ?

Or will Davidson be the next edition of Stack / Cumbo ….. where the club was proven 100% correct and the supporters constantly begging for their selection were wrrrrr … wrrrrrrr … wrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You finished last

So zero allowance for the injury carnage we experienced? Along with a first time coach trying to implement his gamestyle on a group that had the same coach for the previous 13 seasons?
If your team had copped what we did with injuries, I think I know who would have collected a spoon😉 We pretty well lost most of our better players for parts of the year, and most at the same time. Just a cruel season for us in that regard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davidson played 1 good game about 3 days before the draft.

Most of his good games were after the draft.
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

So zero allowance for the injury carnage we experienced? Along with a first time coach trying to implement his gamestyle on a group that had the same coach for the previous 13 seasons?
If your team had copped what we did with injuries, I think I know who would have collected a spoon😉 We pretty well lost most of our better players for parts of the year, and most at the same time. Just a cruel season for us in that regard

Okkkkkkkk

You lost 4 of your top 6 from the 2023 best and fairest

Richmond should put pick #1 on the table to see whats offered

Every other team seem to do it every year , Why not have a look

There may come a stupid offer too good to refuse
Get 2 first.
5 & 9 for 1
7 & 8 for 1
See how desperate Dees & stk are.
2/5/9/10/11/18/23/24
Or
2/7/8/10/11/18/23/24

You finished last

Cool

Now there is a reason why you are posting in this thread after the trade period finished
Your trying to determine what Richmond supporters opinion / View is about trading for pick #2 from what i gather.

Richmond supporters would 'Like' Pick #2 and most believe it will pair up FOS/Lalor combo but at a cost
I dont think you will find many or any that would do that trade for anything more than #6 + #18 at best and some believe #20 or #23. Now i can understand North supporters would think thats unders but thats normal

Recruiters will not be looking at it as draft pick numbers but more the players available at these selections
For Richmond my view is #10 + #11 are way too precious to give up due to my preferences of players available at the picks. Travaglia , Berry , Hotton , Allan or there might be a slider like Smillie / Langford. There are just so many options

But i would be certain none of the above would hold any interest for Nort as they are not KPP
If there in no trade FOS , Tauru , Hotton , Berry would be a fantastic result

But if the trade did eventuate for #6 + #18 Then FOS , Lalor , Hotton , Berry would also be a fantastic haul for the 4 selections.

Now what North supporters need to take into consideration is we are not wed to any of these players and might rate the kids differently and decide we would rather go Jagga at pick 1 Smille at #6 and Allan and Hotton with 10+11
I have seen so many threads where the mids in this year specially fos being rated against past draft that included
Sheezel , Wardlaw , Ashcroft , Reid , JHF , McKercher and a few others and some are saying FOS would be like 8th - 12th amongst these mids.

So How do we justify giving up picks #6 + #10/#11 for a midfielder thats not expected to be up there with the above mentioned players it just doesnt make sense to trade 2 x valuable assets if that is the case.

If the trade gets done under Richmonds terms i think it gets through but if the demand is too high im sure blair would rather just take our picks and im sure north will find away to trade down but with what Brady mentioned not wanting to trade more than 3-4 places and StKilda wanting the same type of players as North it only really leaves Melbourne as the trade partner and they dont have the assets they would want to give up to satisfy North.

The way i see it its Richmond for #6 + #18 or take the pick #2 at the draft
Trading Norths F1 wont get a better pick than #15 in this draft for 2 reasons 1st is this draft is considered an extremely deep draft that is level in talent from 7/8 - 20 and 2025 is considered shallow. 2nd reason is North are expected to be the team that finally has to improve hence the willingness for Brady to publicly declare he wants to trade out F1

But im confident Blair hartley will get the best deal for Richmond when dealing with Brady Gonzo

Davidson is ‘special’ you say.

Where do you think such a special player will be drafted? Can’t possibly be below 30, surely ?

Or will Davidson be the next edition of Stack / Cumbo ….. where the club was proven 100% correct and the supporters constantly begging for their selection were wrrrrr … wrrrrrrr … wrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're a moron. Our fwd line is/ was complete garbage. So bad that Mansell looked competent. MRJ is suburban football standard. Graham kicked 2 goals. Baker added sfa. Campbell went 8 games without kicking a goal. Kozitsche and Ryan's only value is helping us finish last again in 2025 for another Pick 1. Bauers so injury prone his debut lasted 2 mins before he broke down and has cobbled 8 games in 2 1/2 season's. Fawcett was at the club 5 seconds before catching debilitating case of syphilis and missed 99% of season. Idgaf where he's drafted. We could've had him for free. Who knows how his career turns out but he was definitely worth taking a msd free hit. Showed more in 5 mins than bradtke did the entire time he was on our list. We need role players and he could easily waltz into our trash fwd line.

Cool

Now there is a reason why you are posting in this thread after the trade period finished
Your trying to determine what Richmond supporters opinion / View is about trading for pick #2 from what i gather.

Richmond supporters would 'Like' Pick #2 and most believe it will pair up FOS/Lalor combo but at a cost
I dont think you will find many or any that would do that trade for anything more than #6 + #18 at best and some believe #20 or #23. Now i can understand North supporters would think thats unders but thats normal

Recruiters will not be looking at it as draft pick numbers but more the players available at these selections
For Richmond my view is #10 + #11 are way too precious to give up due to my preferences of players available at the picks. Travaglia , Berry , Hotton , Allan or there might be a slider like Smillie / Langford. There are just so many options

But i would be certain none of the above would hold any interest for Nort as they are not KPP

But if the trade did eventuate for #6 + #18 Then FOS , Lalor , Hotton , Berry would also be a fantastic haul for the 4 selections.

Now what North supporters need to take into consideration is we are not wed to any of these players and might rate the kids differently and decide we would rather go Jagga at pick 1 Smille at #6 and Allan and Hotton with 10+11
I have seen so many threads where the mids in this year specially fos being rated against past draft that included
Sheezel , Wardlaw , Ashcroft , Reid , JHF , McKercher and a few others and some are saying FOS would be like 8th - 12th amongst these mids.

So How do we justify giving up picks #6 + #10/#11 for a midfielder thats not expected to be up there with the above mentioned players it just doesnt make sense to trade 2 x valuable assets if that is the case.

If the trade gets done under Richmonds terms i think it gets through but if the demand is too high im sure blair would rather just take our picks and im sure north will find away to trade down but with what Brady mentioned not wanting to trade more than 3-4 places and StKilda wanting the same type of players as North it only really leaves Melbourne as the trade partner and they dont have the assets they would want to give up to satisfy North.

Trading Norths F1 wont get a better pick than #15 in this draft for 2 reasons 1st is this draft is considered an extremely deep draft that is level in talent from 7/8 - 20 and 2025 is considered shallow. 2nd reason is North are expected to be the team that finally has to improve hence the willingness for Brady to publicly declare he wants to trade out F1

But im confident Blair hartley will get the best deal for Richmond when dealing with Brady Gonzo
The draft hand he has left them with for this upcoming strong draft is a blight on Rawlings. I’d be absolutely livid if Blair did the same for us.

Cool

All good mate. Im in this thread because

1: it’s been an entertaining read throughout the back half of the year

2: norths pick 2 is closely aligned with your pick 1

3: there is a chance at a trade

But honestly I’m perfectly happy using pick 2 on whoever is deemed best suited to north out of smith, fos, Lalor, Draper and Langford.

I won’t be unhappy if we trade down, and won’t be upset if that’s 2 for 6 and 18.

All good.

Hey I’ve been wrong before, but to me you’ve purposely decimated your side. With more pain to come as 6 important players over the age of 30.

You’ll obviously address this part next month, but currently have no elite young talent.

As for 2025, north and west coast have added solid contributors to their list, you’ve cut it.
Can’t see anything else but a spoon
In 2025 and probably the three peat in 2026.
I'd laugh if we finish ahead of Norf

He'd be a weapon on a wing and pushing forward imo, goes all day and finishes beautifully.

He played some wing at VFL level and despite VFL wing being a very difficult position to play; was a lot less effective.

His best position seems to be third tall/ HFF pushing up and doubling back, a position that we already had a few that could fill it.

Nobodies saying he's a superstar and the next Dusty ffs's. Where people are frustrated is that we had 4 list spots, club said we'd take 3 players then only took 2. He was already in our system, could slot straight in no moving states, learning the Coaches, game plan, getting a feel for our players etc. He was killing it in magoos and critically to us at the time kicking goals regularly in a team basically made up of a patchwork of suburban mids. Our fwd line was dreadful with plenty of players like Graham, MRJ, Campbell, Samson having lean patches where some wouldn't kick a goal for several to 6-8 weeks.

Mid season rookies basically get a 6 month contract of $50k. Our injury list was 10 -12 deep at the time with several in the 22 in and out from several injuries. Some people watch a lot of VFL and it was bloody obvious at the time that Davidson was special...... fast forward to he ended up winning that award where the previous 17 winners all got drafted straight after. We've got complete duds like Dow and Ryan on our list for varying reasons. Neither are AFL standard, they do bugger all at VFL too. People are p1ssed that the club had a perfect chance to get Davidson for nothing and squandered it. Durham, Dambrosio, McDonaugh were all stolen from under our nose where by virtue of being up the top we didn't have much chance of getting them.

We had the perfect chance for Davidson and the club 💩 the bed. Not all players are superstars and majority of our recent 1st round selections were all lost to AFL by 22/23. Some club will get Davidson before us and who knows how good his career will pan out. But he should've been ours for nothing.

A few things:

Firstly the club didn’t say it would take three. It nominated availability to take three players but chose to take two. A few teams nominated to take also take three but only took one (Adelaide and Brisbane). Teams do it on the off chance that one of the very few players a club would take actually falls to every pick. It didn’t happen so we not took two, the club didn’t say we’d take three; that’s simply not true.

Second, let’s not overstate how kicking goals in the VFL equate to ability to do it at AFL level. Chris Burgess kicked 3 goals a game in 2023 in the VFL and kicked 7 for the crows in 2024. The jump from VFL to AFL seems to be so understated. Hell, Cumberland has kicked bags at VFL level over the last two years and looked laconic at AFL level. The jump is massive.

But context on list management is important here. By taking two players in the MSD as we did we have to now find a spot for them on the rookie list. One will be opened by Miller who goes to the primary list (spent his max. time) and probably by delisting Coulthard. But a third? You either delist a rookie listed player you don’t want to (Bauer, Campbell, Grey, Blight, LeFau, Young, Tresize) or you promote one of them to the primary list ahead of when they could, which then lessens the amount of draft picks you could possibly use.

This is also in the context whereby Pickett, Dusty, Graham and Baker all had contracts in front of them for 2025 so how many list spots we actually had would have been up in the air at the time. I keep seeing this ‘we’d get him for free’ without acknowledging the real risk to either delisting a player we didn’t want to or losing a draft pick we wanted to keep. I like Davidson (I’ll back in the height + endurance), but he isn’t worth sacrificing a list spot for. The fact that 13 other teams didn’t take him either indicates where teams view him.

So let’s not make Davidson out to be some sort of savior to our 2024 season. Even if he was, does it matter? As Toce said at the time, you’re drafting these guys with the expectation it is for longer than the 6 months the nominate.

I’d be more than happy to give him in the rookie draft if we have picks or as an SSP if we have a list spot. But as a prospect, would rather take someone like Retchko with a later selection than Davidson or a Charlie Richardson if looking for a third tall.

Personally, I’d rather have pick 24 and all the players on the rookie list (other than Coulthard) than Davidson.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back