List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

So many inequitable trades being proposed lately.
Seems people have a big ego after the trade period and think we are the kings of the universe.

Yes we have some leverage but that doesn't counteract the notion of being reasonable.

Temper your expectations.

Why would North do that?
I don't think they do, but according to some of our posters they're desperate to get more picks in this draft and we're the only ones they can deal with.

I don't agree that is the case, they can approach Melbourne Saints and even GWS to trade for oe of 8 or 9 or 16 by using their 2025 picks, especially if they believe that they will climb the ladder next year.

They could even go to Fremantle or WCE with their F1 for 12 or 14 this year and give both side the extra R1 pick to help them go after Warner.

My position is that I wouldn't trade out of this year unless it benefits us, so I'd happily offer 11 for Norths 2025 R1 and swapping 2 & 6 this year as it gives us 2 x R1 in 2025

I like Harry, but how much of this is just Lloyd pumping up one of his own.
He does it literally every year. x player is the best mark, best kick he's ever seen. Happens to be the kid he's been training with.

LolNorth looking at picks 6&11 for their pick 2. Your suggestion including their future first is good for us ;)
Only way I'm happy to trade out is a win for us

Seems people have a big ego after the trade period and think we are the kings of the universe.

Yes we have some leverage but that doesn't counteract the notion of being reasonable.

I bet you only had Rioli being traded for pick 6

North fan trying to boost the narrative that pick 2 is much better than 6

View attachment 2148632

Conveniently there are only 6 elite players. Ground breaking - North will target the best available player at 2.
feels like these campaigners have been collecting low draft picks for a decade

Does work both ways though, some of the pick swap ideas from North fans are peak nuffie areas.

North fans seem to think all our top picks after pick 1 will be given to them for pick 2 & or a future pick.

I don't think they do, but according to some of our posters they're desperate to get more picks in this draft and we're the only ones they can deal with.

I don't agree that is the case, they can approach Melbourne Saints and even GWS to trade for oe of 8 or 9 or 16 by using their 2025 picks, especially if they believe that they will climb the ladder next year.

They could even go to Fremantle or WCE with their F1 for 12 or 14 this year and give both side the extra R1 pick to help them go after Warner.

My position is that I wouldn't trade out of this year unless it benefits us, so I'd happily offer 11 for Norths 2025 R1 and swapping 2 & 6 this year as it gives us 2 x R1 in 2025
Some of their fans want 6 & 11 for 2 alone so don't see that happening. I think 6 & 18 is fair for 2. So F1 is really just upgrading 18 to 11.

Eagles fans will burn the club down if they trade out of the draft. Not even sure its a great idea to have a whole heap of picks next year for Warner. Having your own plus 2 futures (once they allow 2 years of picks to be traded) is plenty. WC already have Hawks one as well. As we saw with us, if the picks are there to be taken in the trade, the selling club will absolutely try to pillage you for everything you have especially for a player of Warner's calibre.

I really think its out of us and the Saints that they can trade with. 6 & 18 from us or 7 or 8 & a Giants pick if Saints can split 8 with them.

The gap between 6 & 2 just isn't that big. A lot of North fans are even spruiking 6 & 18. Some want 6 & 11. If you start to drop to 9/10/11 then maybe there is a bit of a larger gap.

Other thing for North is currently, assuming no one else trades before they do, is the 7 picks between 5-11 are all held by 3 clubs. It's pretty unlucky to be honest. The Saints splitting gives them another option.

I bet you only had Rioli being traded for pick 6
Nope. Feel free to check my posting history. I was always certain we were getting 6 and something else.
I just know the difference between contract related leverage and what we are dealing with here.

But hey, feel free to curate any narrative you like.

Some of their fans want 6 & 11 for 2 alone so don't see that happening. I think 6 & 18 is fair for 2. So F1 is really just upgrading 18 to 11.

Eagles fans will burn the club down if they trade out of the draft. Not even sure its a great idea to have a whole heap of picks next year for Warner. Having your own plus 2 futures (once they allow 2 years of picks to be traded) is plenty. WC already have Hawks one as well. As we saw with us, if the picks are there to be taken in the trade, the selling club will absolutely try to pillage you for everything you have especially for a player of Warner's calibre.

I really think its out of us and the Saints that they can trade with. 6 & 18 from us or 7 or 8 & a Giants pick if Saints can split 8 with them.

The gap between 6 & 2 just isn't that big. A lot of North fans are even spruiking 6 & 18. Some want 6 & 11. If you start to drop to 9/10/11 then maybe there is a bit of a larger gap.

Other thing for North is currently, assuming no one else trades before they do, is the 7 picks between 5-11 are all held by 3 clubs. It's pretty unlucky to be honest. The Saints splitting gives them another option.

Let's hope they trade with saints then. We don't need pick 2 and hopefully the club realises that as well. Our current picks are perfectly placed, and our later picks are future picks if the club sees fit.

It's definitely going to be pick 6 and something else. Probably pick 18.
North won't do the deal if 6 isn't involved because they don't wanna miss on Tauru.

It's extremely straightforward in my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Feel free to check my posting history. I was always certain we were getting 6 and something else.
I just know the difference between contract related leverage and what we are dealing with here.

But hey, feel free to curate any narrative you like.
Checked, and as expected you are condescending to other posters.

It's definitely going to be pick 6 and something else. Probably pick 18.
North won't do the deal if 6 isn't involved because they don't wanna miss on Tauru.

It's extremely straightforward in my mind.

Pick 2 is definitely going to take pick 6 & something like 18 but the fact there is no clear stand out for picks 1 or 2 highlights to me that we just shouldn't do it.

Pick 2 is definitely going to take pick 6 & something like 18 but the fact there is no clear stand out for picks 1 or 2 highlights to me that we just shouldn't do it.
Think for 18 it's worth it as long as we've done thorough DD on who the top 5 are taking (I.e. Jagga or Langford get through because someone went tall or Smillie)

I understand we don't have as much leverage as the Rioli trade, but isn't the leverage we don't have to trade for 2? We're in a good position it's not the end of the world missing out on 2, unless the trade is a home run.
We can also leverage taking Tauru at 6 to wipe Saints out of a deal if that's who North are set on.

I strongly agree with the sentiment though. Anyone expecting a rapid rise up the ladder is going to be sorely disappointed. We're bottom 4 for the next 3-4 years. It will get worse before it will get better.

Most of our draftees will receive a chorus of "dud/delist" comments (not tongue in cheek) at some point in the next two years. We'll know by the end of 2028 if we nailed this draft or not.
Maybe we will, maybe we won't.

On paper our list is not as bad is we looked last year. We have guys that are/were guns that just didn't play anywhere near as good as they can. Due to injuries a lot of guys just didn't get on the park, for our veterans maybe they are over the hill but also maybe some of that is down to just not having the motivation. You can look around the league in the past for examples of older guys that looked like they were on the decline, but then after getting some exciting young talent in they suddenly have a career revival and play like they're 5 years younger.

Most of our older guys have won 3 flags and between 2013-2022 we made finals 8/10 years. To go from that, to slide down the ladder, watch most of your teammates and coaches leave and then be in a position where its clear you're not going to be good this season would make it hard to gather much motivation. You've played in the highest stake games infant of 100k and now you're playing infant of 25k on a Sunday arvo in a game that really is better you lose. This draft changes that as you will start to see the future of the team and have something to actually work towards.

I think a guy like Short is the perfect example of this. He won our B&F in a flag year and was 2nd in norm smith voting on GF day yet last year he was almost a negative to the team when he played. He's only 28, that isn't decline due to age, there's other reasons for that form drop that could easily be turned around. It can all turn around VERY quickly with a bit of luck with injures, continued improvement from the existing young guys a couple draftees looking AFL ready from the get go. Footys a team game and a poor team makes EVERYONE look worse than they are.

Obviously people have differing opinions on whether there are stand outs in the top 2/3. I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything but for me I have a clear top 3. FOS, Lalor, Smith. I feel like our club would be best served with two of those three rather than one of the three and then playing chook lotto on pick 6. If we have pick 2, we can set up the draft how we like. We are guaranteed to take the two players we want and we will also have the flexibility to bid on a couple at 2 to make sure the likes of Brisbane and Gold coast pay. Pick 2 gives us control and the two players we think we can build our club around.

I'm surprised the majority of us don't share the same views as this.
I understand we don't have as much leverage as the Rioli trade, but isn't the leverage we don't have to trade for 2? We're in a good position it's not the end of the world missing out on 2, unless the trade is a home run.
You're 100% correct but all that means is if any trade does happen, it will likely be fair and equitable for both parties.
I was previously on board with doing 6 and 11 for 2 but have been convinced that 6 and 18 is still win win.

FOS had 29 disposals
16 kicks
13 handballs
9 marks
5 tackles
Don’t think I confirmed anything, except he has talent. Recruiters will decide what he’s worth.
Didn’t have 13 handballs unless they were not part of the video. If that’s his best stats and you had to go back to 2023, then that’s not sufficient for a top pick midfielder. FOS has stats that equate to a flanker.

Or better still just stick with the amazing draft hand we already have…

Hannaford also went to Ashcroft in the 3rd Qtr and kept him quiet, then Marshall in the last. Was strong defensively and influential with ball in hand. He’s strong, quick, booming kick and can play multiple roles, like him. Berry might be the more natural forward, though he likes a spin in the middle too. Haven’t seen Hotton live, only the clips, but elite athlete. I want more than one!
Cant Get Enough Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment
Great show.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back