List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

You and Rationale? 🤣🤣

Have you ever considered applying for a recruiting job in the AFL?

Your outside the box thinking about deals and moves no one that has ever considered could be a real weapon in the right AFL team
I use logic not authorities

why would I apply, how is that logical?

Put it this why, if I made a application why would I get the job?? Does that sound logical to you?

if the AFL was interested in performance, why not compile online all ranking phantoms(ignoring which teams have what picks) over the years from, fans and see which fans come up with the best rated super teams, ignoring what teams pick what, just the fans own rankings pre-draft-locked in, with identity checking, time dates etc...

that way the AFL could filter out who knows what based on track records and applications would not be necessary. Does that sound logical? Too logical for the AFL?

imagine if you could play fantasy games based on your own rankings? So if you ranked a player above others you could play them if they get a game. Obviously the fantasy games could not just be about stats otherwise mids would be picked predominately and these days those playing kick to kick in the backline

Last edited:

I need to be sold on FOS. Just seems like there’s a lot of hype around him and promises that he’ll be a gun but I’m comparison to the performances of others this year, he doesn’t hold a candle to them. I’d rather go with the proven entity (as much as a draftee can be proven) vs the kid who might come good. Thoughts?

I had a go at a phantom draft from 1-11 (excluding academy picks and father sons because they are inconsequential).
I have included Richmond trading up for North's 2 with a swap of 6 and something else.

Having looked at the needs of teams picking in this zone, I think that we can benefit from a couple of factors, which may cause some high-quality mids to slide to us at picks 10 and 11.
These are:
1) North, the Dees and the Saints should be in the market for talls, of which there are 2 obvious standouts, leading them to jump a bit early.
2) Many of the teams picking mids (Eg: Carlton, Adelaide, St Kilda) are currently somewhat one-paced through the midfield and are likely looking for players with speed/acceleration/agility to suit the modern game, who can burst out of contest, or damage with speed of hands.
3) St Kilda and Melbourne both already drafted first round wingers last year. (Wilson and Windsor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 1) Richmond
What Richmond needs: Best midfielders available, hopefully a mix that can be dynamic.

Verdict: Sam Lalor
Why? Because the tigers interviewed him a tonne of times and love him, plus he’s been widely reported as the early favourite. Leadership potential and X factor.

Pick 2) Richmond (traded from North for 6 + something else)
What Richmond needs: Best midfielders available, hopefully a mix that can be dynamic.

Verdict: Jagga Smith
Why? Best midfielder all year. Has a complimentary skillset to Lalor. Pure midfielder, who is from Richmond, with leadership potential, who has dominated for our VFL team. I think we will also consider FOS but I certainly think there is a greater risk around him, because he did struggle to find it a bit this year. I also think that Jagga compliments Lalor better, meaning we gain a smart accumulator/distributor and also a damaging X factor player.

Pick 3 ) Carlton
What Carlton needs: Midfield running power. Carlton are in their window but can definitely look a bit one paced in the midfield at times. They want someone who can impact quickly, and can help them win finals. They need someone with acceleration and smarts when bursting away from the contest.

Verdict: Sid Draper
Why? Carlton will probably look at both Draper and FOS here. Draper looks more ready-made to me, and I think will carry less risk and probably take less time to fit into the currently-contending Carlton team. I think FOS might take a while to fit into league level, coming off an interrupted year but should also be a gun in time.

Pick 4) Adelaide
What Adelaide needs: Midfield Speed. Adelaide’s midfield is pretty crap after Dawson. They’d love a classy all-around accumulator type mid (Jagga), or someone with good agility and acceleration from the contest (Draper) who can impact sooner rather than later.

Verdict: Finn O’Sullivan
Why? Unfortunately for the crows both Jagga and Draper are off the board. If either falls they would get taken here. I think FOS just has too much potential for the crows to skip on this pick and it's still a great fit. He has great speed and agility at the contest, which is what they need, but I think they’d prefer someone who can slot straight into the ones, whereas I think Finn takes a bit more time to develop.

Pick 5) Melbourne
What Melbourne needs: Midfield depth and/or Key Position Forward. Their attack was rubbish this year, but with Clarry and Petracca likely leaving at some point, they’ll probably also want to get another young mid brought in on an apprenticeship under them. Brayshaw replacement.

Verdict: Armstrong / Tauru
Why? Melbourne gets another bite at pick 9, where they can take one of the numerous good mids who can slide, they’ve got no first rounder next year, and I think if their current developing talls don’t come on, they’ll be screwed unless they bring a good tall forward in this draft. Good talls are scarce in the top end of this draft, and both North and Saints would likely take Tauru or Armstrong with the next two picks if they don’t strike here first.

Pick 6) North (received from Richmond along with something else for pick 2)
What North needs: Key position talls.

Verdict: Armstrong / Tauru
Why? It's been well publicised that north love Tauru, I think he'd be a great fit if still available. If not, Armstrong would be terrific for them to take some heat off Larkey and develop under Darling.

Pick 7) St Kilda
What St Kilda needs: Midfield/Forward Speed and Class with attacking mindset, and/or a key position tall

Verdict: Bo Allan
Why? The saints get 2 picks here so disregard the order of these 2. I think they will either:
a) get 2 top midfielders
B) get 1 midfielder and 1 key position tall
C) get 1 midfielder and a small forward

When I look at the saints mids, I think that they have a lot of physicality, defensiveness and strength, eg: Marshall, Steele, Windhager, Macrae, Stocker, Phillipou, Owens. However they lack speed and an attacking minded mid who can break away from the contest. The best mids still available for them at this pick include Langford, Allen, Smillie and Lindsay.

Langford is a big body with question marks over his speed, so I don't think this gives them much of a point of difference.
Smillie is a big body as well, not exceptionally quick, with question marks over his combativeness. I think the saints have just moved past the development period of Phillipou and Owen's, where they've been growing into their body's and will look for someone who can impact in sooner, rather than taking another 'manchild' type mid who may take another couple of years to develop. Therefore they pass on Smillie. The saints drafted Wilson early last year, so that's why I think they pass on Lindsay.

I think Bo Allen is a perfect fit for St Kilda. An all round good midfielder with great accelerate out of the contest. Also has ferocity and great defensiveness which Ross Lyon will love. I'm big on Allen and don't think the saints will overlook him. I deffinitely can't see him getting past the tigers at 10.

Pick 8) St Kilda
What St Kilda needs: Midfield/Forward Speed and Class, and/or a key position tall

Verdict: Hotton / Trainor
Why? The saints have just lost Battle and Membrey. Both Wilkie and King need support desperately. I think the saints could easily draft the best remaining tall available in Trainor, who could be a genuine swing man.

Otherwise, they could draft again with a focus on speed and footy smarts, supporting Higgins as a small forward by going with Hotton, who I have also seen linked to the saints. I reckon they will bid on Kako, and might settle for Hotton.

Smillie, Langford and Lindsay are not picked again, for the same reasons listed above.

Pick 9) Melbourne
What Melbourne needs: Midfield depth and/or Key Position Forward. Their scoring was rubbish this year, but with Clarry and Petracca likely leaving at some point, they’ll probably want to get another young mid-in on an apprenticeship. Brayshaw replacement.

Verdict: Josh Smillie
Why? The Dee's have already taken Armstrong as a tall and won't leave the draft without at least 1 top mid. They have long been linked to Smillie and I can't see him falling past here. The Dee's would be thrilled with both Armstrong and Smillie, and he could learn from the best imposing mids in Petracca and Clarry.

Langford is also an option, but the it's well publicised the Dee's are keen on Smillie. So I think out of the two big body's they would go for him. They also took Windsor early last year so I think they will pass on taking another winger like Lindsay.

Pick 10) Richmond

Verdict: Harvey Langford
Why? The Tigers have holes everywhere so are somewhat privileged in not needing to draft specifically based on position. Yes they need tall forwards, but with a glut of late first rounders they can bring in some talls then. Likewise, many of the teams above will prioritise mids who have breakaway speed from contest as a point of difference. Langford may not be quick, but he is too good to leave at this point, the tiges snap up the lifelong Richmond fan.

Pick 11) Richmond

Verdict: Xavier Lindsay
Why? Again, another sliding mid who based on talent could go anywhere from pick 5. I think he slides based on the 4 picks which are held by both the Dee's and saints, who drafted wingers in Windsor and Wilson respectively in last year's draft. The tigers would be stoked with Lindsay, who compliments their early midfield selections by providing some outside class and footy smarts.

Interested to hear what people think. I'm clearly biased, but I also think this is entirely possible. in my opinion, this would just about be Richmond's perfect start to the draft I think, with all 4 talented mids offering different/complimentary skillsets.

swap jagga with FOS and this is 10/10

If we trade pick 6 & 10 for 2 I will deadset punch my own ass

Are we talking just a punch on the outside or like a full fisting?

If it's the latter I will pay Blair my entire net worth to get this deal done

I keep going back & forth with FOS & Lalor.
hell lets get them both at the club.

FOS #9 & Lalor #4

I'm not a fan of trading up but this is so tempting... C'mon Richmond do it!
foss is shite doesnt find the footy

pretty much an rcd with a bit of kicking craft

lalor and jagga for me

I think we should take Harry Armstrong at pick 1...
Why not throw a massive curveball? we in a position where we could be quite strategic people will call me drunk, but I really rate quality key forward higher than midfielders.

There are 100's of quality midfielders in the competition but there are probably less than 30 absolute quality key tall forwards in the competition spread out over 18 teams.

Would we really be upset with getting a midfielder that slides like, Jagga, Draper, Smillie, Langford at pick 6?
I keep seeing heaps of mock drafts online & a lot of them have Sam Lalor a lot more 5-8 range than pick 1, who is to say guys like FOS or Lalor won't slide? other clubs might have more concerns on them than we do.

Why not just take Armstrong at 6 if we wanted him that badly? He’ll be there at 6.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brady Rawlings consistently gets strong armed in trades to the point where it’s an embarrassment. Everyone knows you can have your way with North. I still remember the “there’s no way we will pay a second rounder” for CCJ. They’ve just gone and given 25 for Caleb Daniel.

Then to think you’d get 6 & 10 from us? Not getting 6 & 11. Doubt we want to give 6 & 18. I’m even sure we want 2, but if we do it’ll be on our terms that, as always, they’ll agree to

1:03
ryan reynolds drool GIF

I hadn’t watched that video before now … he’s #1. Lock it in and throw away the key. It’s like watching Dusty ..#4 and all … except Lalor can mark overhead ;). I also don’t mind trading up for #2 and taking Jagga. Those two in tandem … future secured!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are bloody stiff here… north have 3 supporters and 2 of them have made their way to this thread
Well give them Mr Magic & 1/6/10/11/18/20/23/24
For a f4

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back