List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW my current draft using our first 4 picks

1. Lalor - all the noise is about him being the pick and while I take that with a grain of salt, I'm picking him here.

2. Ashcroft bid - North make Lions pay top value

3. FOS - for all the noise about Tauru I believe North hold firm and take who they see as best available.

4. Draper - Carlton miss on FOS but go with a similar type of player in Draper who'll add a dynamic mix to their midfield.

5. Smith - having missed Draper Adelaide add some class to their midfield in Smith who was the best performer of this year's class.

6. Smillie - Melbourne look to start replacing their aging midfield group by getting in Smillie who can be the centrepiece of their next generation midfield structure.

7. Armstrong - Richmond make the first KPP pick with Armstrong who can learn under Lynch for a couple of years before being handed the keys.

8 & 9. Tauru & Reid - Saints address 2 needs with Tauru replacing the departed Battle and Reid adding some class to their midfield

10. Langford - Melbourne double up on their midfield rebuild by getting Langford in. With Smillie and Langford they have their Oliver/ Petracca replacements.

11. Lombard Bid - Richmond make the Suns pay

12. Kako Bid - Now they make Essendon pay.

13 & 14. Allan & Travaglia - Richmond keep stocking up on talent this time taking Allan & Travaglia to boost the quality of our outside mids.
I'd spew if we took Armstrong over Langford, plenty of similarly rated talls in the back half of the 1st round. I'd also have Lindsay over Travaglia

Based on Cal Twomey's rankings for available players
1 FOS
6 Draper
10 Travaglia
11 Allen
18 Hynes
20 Dattoli
23 Gross
24 Hannaford

Just goes to show the 4 earlier picks are going to get top players. That is why clubs were coming hard at pick 13 as that is still in that range.

Any trade for pick 2 therefore should only involve 6 and a later first rounder or we should stick with the picks we have.

Well we’d only trade up to get 2/3 right?

FOS #1. Then who Langford? Don’t hate it
Reckon Lalor at 1, then it comes down to whether we want FOS (or another that we rate highly) against taking Smillie or Langford at 6 and say a Harrison Oliver at 18. My preference, FWIW, is to get as much talent in as we can.

All of Berry/Lindsay/Hotton/Allan should be available at 10 & 11

I don't think Armstrong is the 6th (or 7th) best player in the draft... BUT...we desperately need a key forward. It's criminal that we have been placed into such a desperate position where we have to choose a speculative Key Forward because the cupboard is already bare. This isn't even about preparing for the future any longer, its about find key forwards to step up as soon as possible because we do not even have B Grade back ups.

So, while I would much rather take another quality mid at 6/7, you might be right. We might have to go for Armstrong at that selection just to cover up a gaping wound.
Why aren’t we talking about Jobe Shanahan with pick 10 or 11?

Reckon Lalor at 1, then it comes down to whether we want FOS (or another that we rate highly) against taking Smillie or Langford at 6 and say a Harrison Oliver at 18. My preference, FWIW, is to get as much talent in as we can.

All of Berry/Lindsay/Hotton/Allan should be available at 10 & 11

FOS is gone by 6 though unless we can get 2/3

FOS is gone by 6 though unless we can get 2/3
Yeah, I was making the comparison between trading up for FOS and pairing him with Lalor, or not trading up and taking Lalor with Smillie/Langford at 6 as well as Oliver at 18. Probably should have laid it out better. So...

Lalor & FOS
v's
Lalor, Langford & Oliver

Pick 2 is not the only collateral that Norf has. Not that I think we need it (and certainly Blair has said nothing to the effect we do, if anything the opposite) but if push came to shove this is the deal I would offer. Our pick 6 and 11, for their pick 2 and future 1st.

Again we don't need to do Norf any favours for a pick that would be nice but we don't really need. And they can back themselves to move up the ladder in a draft year that at this stage reputedly isn't as strong as this one. Again much prefer to run with what we have, but this is the test of Norf's desperation to get another pick in this years draft I would apply.

If they are hellbent on it they'll accept the offer. If not Norf can find someone else or use pick 2 on Tauru. It's no skin off our nose either way.

Yeah, I was making the comparison between trading up for FOS and pairing him with Lalor, or not trading up and taking Lalor with Smillie/Langford at 6 as well as Oliver at 18. Probably should have laid it out better. So...

Lalor & FOS
v's
Lalor, Langford & Oliver

Want fos there will be some sliders on the night

Not sure it’s worth trading up to be honest but it’s in the hands of the gods

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it true Lalor has never done a full pre-season due to cricket commitments?
It would make sense. Which excites me thinking what he could do over a few decent preseasons.

Lalor seems like that genuine game breaker who can make a massive impact with limited disposals

I know Dusty is the obvious comparison for us but for those more educated would DeGoey be a similar example of the type of player

Can’t stand the pies but he definitely seems like a player in a similar mould in my eyes

Lalor seems like that genuine game breaker who can make a massive impact with limited disposals

I know Dusty is the obvious comparison for us but for those more educated would DeGoey be a similar example of the type of player

Can’t stand the pies but he definitely seems like a player in a similar mould in my eyes

Lalor is gunna be Big W Dusty

Is it true Lalor has never done a full pre-season due to cricket commitments?
thats why he aint a number 1

more chance to become a bust

Twomey has lost the plot.

I guess you'd also agree with him trading 6 & 10 for pick 2?
I'm not the one who has been posting Twomey's rankings as Gospel. Gutz has. I was having a bit of fun with him.

And Levi at 1? I guess he’s the best then?
Many think so. I'd say he probably wins a poll of recruiters, which is how Cal does it.

There’s a chance star midfield duo Murphy Reid and Harvey Langford land at their childhood club Richmond.

The Tigers, at this stage, enter November’s national draft with eight selections between Picks 1 and 24. And Langford and Reid are at the top echelon of this year’s draft class.

“Dad and his dad went for Richmond so I followed along with that,” Langford told foxfooty.com.au.

“Seeing that first (flag) in 2017 was pretty special and to see what Dustin Martin was able to do for the club, that was amazing to grow up and watch.”

Reid said he was “bred into a Tigers family” and put in “a Tigers jumper from a very young age”.

“I wouldn’t change it for anything, we got to experience a lot of success,” Reid told foxfooty.com.au.

“I loved the 2017 Grand Final and that prelim that year against GWS. I was lucky enough to go, Dad was all over it. It had been such a long time, 30 years or something since the last flag. It was awesome to sit there with him and my two brothers as well. To be there for that, it was just ridiculous.”

Asked about the prospect of being drafted by Richmond, Reid said: “It would be ideal to go to the Tigers given I’m a Richmond supporter, but I’d be happy to go anywhere. I’ve been wanting to be an AFL player for a long time, it’s been my dream.”

But Gold Coast and Essendon have committed to academy guns Leo Lombard and Isaac Kako respectively, with the duo to join the clubs they support.

Although Lombard wasn’t a mad Suns fan growing up.

“I don’t really have a team, but I know a lot of the boys at the Suns, so I’d say I’d go for them … but I did like Richmond when they were dominating and loved Dustin Martin and Dan Rioli,” Lombard told foxfooty.com.au.

I'd spew if we took Armstrong over Langford, plenty of similarly rated talls in the back half of the 1st round. I'd also have Lindsay over Travaglia
Yeah I'm not seeing a huge gap between Armstrong and guys like Faull who'll be there at our cluster of late R1 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back