Pick 1

• Finn O'Sullivan

• Sam Lalor

• Jagga Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do people get hung up on points.

The question is:
Is the player the best in the draft that suits our future needs?
nah the question is the best way for us to build the best premiership team giving us the most better chances

so it is not just about the player, it is about mixes and combinations as it is a team game fundamentally

Last edited:
Of the available players in this scenario (swapped picks with who you chose eg. Jagga goes to crows etc) I’d take:

1. Sam Lalor
7. Harvey Langford
13. Harry Armstrong
14. Tobie Travaglia
22. Matt Whitlock
24. Ollie Hannaford
27. Alex Dodson
28. Jesse Dattoli
Just shows how much quality there is in this draft when people can come up with different scenarios and it doesn't really weaken the haul.

My Personal Opinion Round 1 (No trades)

1. Jagga Smith - proven performer at every level this year, including a strong 3 game run at VFL level against mature bodies where he averaged 27 disposals 6 clearances 14 ground ball gets 5 score involvements & 2 tackles. An attacking midfielder who would compliment the likes of Taranto & Hopper in the midfield.

2. Levi Ashcroft - North makes the first bid and force the Lions to pay fair value for Ashcroft. Amazing that the reigning premiers get to add a kid this talented.

3. Finn O'Sullivan - For all the noise about North liking Tauru they take O'Sullivan and continue to add talent to their young midfield brigade of Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Phillips & Powell. This pick also means North could make a similar move to what some were suggesting we do with Balta and allow LDU to depart via free agency next year and bring in a R1 compo pick to allow them to target KPPs next year.

4. Sid Draper - Carlton misses out on getting O'Sullivan but pick up Draper who adds a point of difference to their midfield mix. Draper would give Carlton that dynamic player who can breakaway from the contest and drive the ball forward quickly to give McKay and Curnow the chance to compete 1-1 more often.

5. Sam Lalor - Adelaide get the kid that many suggest we're linked with at pick 1 in what could be the steal of the draft if he develops as some hope. Lalor partnering up with Rankine would give the Crows an exciting partnership that would rotate mid/forward as they see fit.

6. Murphy Reid - Melbourne add some outside class to their strong contested midfield unit in Reid who has been compared to Scott Pendlebury by many draft watchers. He would compliment their midfield very nicely.

7. Josh Smillie - an early season favourite for pick 1, Smillie struggled a bit in the 2nd half of the season with talk he was battling a bit of a niggle. He has been described as a Tom Green/Patrick Cripps type of midfielder and we could certainly do with a big brute midfielder moving forward.

8. Leo Lombard - Saints bid on Lombard and make the Suns pay up. Lombard will play from R1 next year and will have an impact for the Suns through the middle.

9. Issac Kako - The Saints now bid on Kako and force the Bombers to cough up for their NGA kid. Kako will become a fan favourite at Essendon as he gives them a real spark inside F50.

10. Alix Tauru - the Saints lost Battle to Free Agency so take a kid that can slot into that spot in time. Tauru has come with a rush in the 2nd half of the season to climb into R1 calculations and the Saints is the perfect landing spot for him.

11. Harvey Langford - while not the type of midfielder the Saints may be looking for, Langford is too good to pass up at this stage of the draft. A big bodied mid who can also push forward and hit the scoreboard and with the Saints midfielders getting older Langford starts the process of bringing in their next wave.

12. Luke Trainor - Melbourne target a KPP at this pick and they opt for Trainor to come in and learn under May and Lever for a couple of years. Trainor was another kid who was hyped up early in the year but then fell away as others started to push up the order, still no denying his talent despite the concussion concerns.

13. Harry Armstrong - Richmond need KPP help and the way this falls Armstong lands here and gives us a future number 1 KPF option to build around. Will get the chance to learn under Lynch for a year of 2 before being handed the keys to the forward line.

14. Bo Allan - the midfield rebuild continues with Allan being added to Smith & Smillie. Allan could start out across HB early on at AFL level, but given we're quite settled there I can see him playing a lot of midfield minutes in the VFL early on before earning his shot.

15. Tobie Travaglia - having missed out on Allan, the Eagles opt for Travaglia who can play a similar role for them, starting out across HB early on before pushing up into the midfield. Travaglia would give the Eagles good ball use coming out of D50 with his run and carry being a strong point.

16. Joe Berry - Port are not really needing much, but a small forward who can hit the scoreboard and push into the midfield is something they could use. Berry averaged 14 disposals 6 score involvements & 2 goals a game in both the CTL & Champs and would be a point of difference in their F50.

17. Taj Hotton - Fremantle have loaded up in their quest for a first flag, so can opt to take a kid in Hotton here that will miss a fair chunk of the 2025 season as he recovers from an ACL. In time he could from a strong partnership with Bolton as mid/forwards with X factor.

18. Jobe Shanahan - GWS invest in their long term future with Shanahan here with Hogan turning 30 before the 2025 season. Shanahan proved in his VFL stint that he could have an impact early on if required, but the Giants don't need him to do that. They can take their time and develop him along side Cadman for the future.

19. Xavier Lindsay - having lost the likes of Perryman, Cumming & Peatling the Giants opt to bring in Lindsay here to start covering some of those departures. Lindsay won the Morrish Medal this year and is known for his ability to use the ball well.

20. Sam Marshall - The Dogs bid on Marshall and the Lions add another R1 talent to their list in a year when they won the flag.

21. Cooper Hynes - The Dogs opt for Hynes here after losing Smith & Macrae from their midfield unit. Hynes is a powerful big bodied mid/forward who can impact through the middle and inside F50

22. Jesse Datolli - having lost Bolton the Tigers need X factor and opt for Datolli who like Bolton can provide a spark I50 at the fall of the ball, but can also push up and be part of the midfield rotation. With this pick we cover another hole that needs to be addressed.

23. Alex Dodson - the Swans are pretty well stocked in most areas so they opt for the best available here and go for Alex Dodson to give them a ruckman for the future. The Swans ruck stocks are Grundy Ladhams and an untried Will Green.

24. Jonty Faull - Richmond opt for another young KPF for the future in Faull. With Armstrong we will have a couple of mobile KPF talents to build our forward line around moving forward. Some may think it's overkill having Armstrong Faull Gray Koschitzke & Fawcett on the books, but facts are not all of them will make it so lets give ourselves the chance to find at least 2 that will make it, hopefully more.

25. Matt Whitlock - after getting Shanahan earlier, the Giants address their KPD stocks and bring in Matt Whitlock who they can develop as a long term KPD option. Matt has shown that he can also play up forward with great effect but they start him out as a KPD.

26. Ollie Hannaford - as mentioned earlier the Swans aren't really wanting for anything, but they could use a kid like Hannaford to give them some more X factor inside F50.

27. Hamish Davis - a bit of a bolter but having taken Allan earlier on, we bring in another WA kid to ease any issues with homesickness. Davis is more than just an insurance policy though. The kid is a talented player in his own right and proven himself across all levels with a standout performance in the WAFL finals where he had 21 disposals & 4 goals in a senior final, then went back to Colts level and had 30 disposals 8 clearances and 12 score involvements as he won BOG in the Colts Grand Final.

Bonus pick

28. Harry Oliver - having lost Baker & Rioli from our half back line, we take Harry Oliver with the first pick of the 2nd round as a small rebounding defender who also has the ability to play 1-1 and win intercept possessions.

I understand that not everyone will like this draft given their preferred options aren't taken at the top, or even through the middle stages, but this is my opinion and like everyone else here it's pretty much meaningless in the Grand scheme of things as the club will do as they see fit.

So feel free to criticize/dissect as you like. I just hope you enjoy the read.
Nearly exactly how I see it panning out - Jagga/Smillie would be a great combo. The only diff would be to select Trav at 14 - we desperately need quality run/carry/game breaker with elite skills from HB.

Armstrong would be a great get at 13 - I think he would be good for the tiges - mobile KPF in the Jeremey Cameron mould

I like Datolli selection but would also love to see Hynes avail at 22. Hynes has a very high ceiling - would be a good get for Bulldogs at 21.

St Kilda big winners here - quality mid and best KP.

Also for what it is worth Bird Man I had a raft of dees supporters telling me on twitter that they highly doubt they would take Armstrong because of the reasons Calcium Man listed as well.

Initially I was thinking Dees take him with 5, but they are seemingly desperate for Mids.

On this basis I have a little bit of hope that Armstrong could slip to 10. Needs a bit of luck of course.
Interesting

So you would think if he slips then 6 and 11 is better suited to our needs than pick two that would land us FOS or Jagga

Nearly exactly how I see it panning out - Jagga/Smillie would be a great combo. The only diff would be to select Trav at 14 - we desperately need quality run/carry/game breaker with elite skills from HB.

Armstrong would be a great get at 13 - I think he would be good for the tiges - mobile KPF in the Jeremey Cameron mould

I like Datolli selection but would also love to see Hynes avail at 22. Hynes has a very high ceiling - would be a good get for Bulldogs at 21.

St Kilda big winners here - quality mid and best KP.
Do we need another HBF?

My Personal Opinion Round 1 (No trades)

1. Jagga Smith - proven performer at every level this year, including a strong 3 game run at VFL level against mature bodies where he averaged 27 disposals 6 clearances 14 ground ball gets 5 score involvements & 2 tackles. An attacking midfielder who would compliment the likes of Taranto & Hopper in the midfield.

2. Levi Ashcroft - North makes the first bid and force the Lions to pay fair value for Ashcroft. Amazing that the reigning premiers get to add a kid this talented.

3. Finn O'Sullivan - For all the noise about North liking Tauru they take O'Sullivan and continue to add talent to their young midfield brigade of Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Phillips & Powell. This pick also means North could make a similar move to what some were suggesting we do with Balta and allow LDU to depart via free agency next year and bring in a R1 compo pick to allow them to target KPPs next year.

4. Sid Draper - Carlton misses out on getting O'Sullivan but pick up Draper who adds a point of difference to their midfield mix. Draper would give Carlton that dynamic player who can breakaway from the contest and drive the ball forward quickly to give McKay and Curnow the chance to compete 1-1 more often.

5. Sam Lalor - Adelaide get the kid that many suggest we're linked with at pick 1 in what could be the steal of the draft if he develops as some hope. Lalor partnering up with Rankine would give the Crows an exciting partnership that would rotate mid/forward as they see fit.

6. Murphy Reid - Melbourne add some outside class to their strong contested midfield unit in Reid who has been compared to Scott Pendlebury by many draft watchers. He would compliment their midfield very nicely.

7. Josh Smillie - an early season favourite for pick 1, Smillie struggled a bit in the 2nd half of the season with talk he was battling a bit of a niggle. He has been described as a Tom Green/Patrick Cripps type of midfielder and we could certainly do with a big brute midfielder moving forward.

8. Leo Lombard - Saints bid on Lombard and make the Suns pay up. Lombard will play from R1 next year and will have an impact for the Suns through the middle.

9. Issac Kako - The Saints now bid on Kako and force the Bombers to cough up for their NGA kid. Kako will become a fan favourite at Essendon as he gives them a real spark inside F50.

10. Alix Tauru - the Saints lost Battle to Free Agency so take a kid that can slot into that spot in time. Tauru has come with a rush in the 2nd half of the season to climb into R1 calculations and the Saints is the perfect landing spot for him.

11. Harvey Langford - while not the type of midfielder the Saints may be looking for, Langford is too good to pass up at this stage of the draft. A big bodied mid who can also push forward and hit the scoreboard and with the Saints midfielders getting older Langford starts the process of bringing in their next wave.

12. Luke Trainor - Melbourne target a KPP at this pick and they opt for Trainor to come in and learn under May and Lever for a couple of years. Trainor was another kid who was hyped up early in the year but then fell away as others started to push up the order, still no denying his talent despite the concussion concerns.

13. Harry Armstrong - Richmond need KPP help and the way this falls Armstong lands here and gives us a future number 1 KPF option to build around. Will get the chance to learn under Lynch for a year of 2 before being handed the keys to the forward line.

14. Bo Allan - the midfield rebuild continues with Allan being added to Smith & Smillie. Allan could start out across HB early on at AFL level, but given we're quite settled there I can see him playing a lot of midfield minutes in the VFL early on before earning his shot.

15. Tobie Travaglia - having missed out on Allan, the Eagles opt for Travaglia who can play a similar role for them, starting out across HB early on before pushing up into the midfield. Travaglia would give the Eagles good ball use coming out of D50 with his run and carry being a strong point.

16. Joe Berry - Port are not really needing much, but a small forward who can hit the scoreboard and push into the midfield is something they could use. Berry averaged 14 disposals 6 score involvements & 2 goals a game in both the CTL & Champs and would be a point of difference in their F50.

17. Taj Hotton - Fremantle have loaded up in their quest for a first flag, so can opt to take a kid in Hotton here that will miss a fair chunk of the 2025 season as he recovers from an ACL. In time he could from a strong partnership with Bolton as mid/forwards with X factor.

18. Jobe Shanahan - GWS invest in their long term future with Shanahan here with Hogan turning 30 before the 2025 season. Shanahan proved in his VFL stint that he could have an impact early on if required, but the Giants don't need him to do that. They can take their time and develop him along side Cadman for the future.

19. Xavier Lindsay - having lost the likes of Perryman, Cumming & Peatling the Giants opt to bring in Lindsay here to start covering some of those departures. Lindsay won the Morrish Medal this year and is known for his ability to use the ball well.

20. Sam Marshall - The Dogs bid on Marshall and the Lions add another R1 talent to their list in a year when they won the flag.

21. Cooper Hynes - The Dogs opt for Hynes here after losing Smith & Macrae from their midfield unit. Hynes is a powerful big bodied mid/forward who can impact through the middle and inside F50

22. Jesse Datolli - having lost Bolton the Tigers need X factor and opt for Datolli who like Bolton can provide a spark I50 at the fall of the ball, but can also push up and be part of the midfield rotation. With this pick we cover another hole that needs to be addressed.

23. Alex Dodson - the Swans are pretty well stocked in most areas so they opt for the best available here and go for Alex Dodson to give them a ruckman for the future. The Swans ruck stocks are Grundy Ladhams and an untried Will Green.

24. Jonty Faull - Richmond opt for another young KPF for the future in Faull. With Armstrong we will have a couple of mobile KPF talents to build our forward line around moving forward. Some may think it's overkill having Armstrong Faull Gray Koschitzke & Fawcett on the books, but facts are not all of them will make it so lets give ourselves the chance to find at least 2 that will make it, hopefully more.

25. Matt Whitlock - after getting Shanahan earlier, the Giants address their KPD stocks and bring in Matt Whitlock who they can develop as a long term KPD option. Matt has shown that he can also play up forward with great effect but they start him out as a KPD.

26. Ollie Hannaford - as mentioned earlier the Swans aren't really wanting for anything, but they could use a kid like Hannaford to give them some more X factor inside F50.

27. Hamish Davis - a bit of a bolter but having taken Allan earlier on, we bring in another WA kid to ease any issues with homesickness. Davis is more than just an insurance policy though. The kid is a talented player in his own right and proven himself across all levels with a standout performance in the WAFL finals where he had 21 disposals & 4 goals in a senior final, then went back to Colts level and had 30 disposals 8 clearances and 12 score involvements as he won BOG in the Colts Grand Final.

Bonus pick

28. Harry Oliver - having lost Baker & Rioli from our half back line, we take Harry Oliver with the first pick of the 2nd round as a small rebounding defender who also has the ability to play 1-1 and win intercept possessions.

I understand that not everyone will like this draft given their preferred options aren't taken at the top, or even through the middle stages, but this is my opinion and like everyone else here it's pretty much meaningless in the Grand scheme of things as the club will do as they see fit.

So feel free to criticize/dissect as you like. I just hope you enjoy the read.
why would melbourne take a risky concussion victim like trainor 1 pick b4 harry armstrong
seeing finn in a blues jumper and sam in a crows jumper wou;ld be very close to self harm right there

why would melbourne take a risky concussion victim like trainor 1 pick b4 harry armstrong
seeing finn in a blues jumper and sam in a crows jumper wou;ld be very close to self harm right there
_RT_ just trying to be edgy bro. Don't stress. Big Sammy the tiger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any word on who we will target in the next couple of years. Cadman has been spoken about and obviously we are in dire need of a key forward, is there any other player or position you believe we will target?
A kid from Tongala

Watched some sort of amateur highlights of the Under 18 all Australian side vs Bulldogs VFL from like 4-5 months ago.

FOS did some nice things but not much, ditto Lalor.

Jagga was reasonably prominent.

Smillie was the standout in the clips for sure.
Smillie @ 1
Jagga @ 6

Geeze I hope we don't pick jagga .
Sure I think he will be good but I really think weedy mids wont be what you want when we are ready for another tilt (probally 2030) also he reminds me of Dow which isn't good
Jimmy Neutron What GIF

The Dees have a couple of young KPF already but are lacking a young KPD so taking him isn't that big of a deal. Also I don't buy into the concussion risk, IMO it's been overblown.

lol, Darling is already cooked. Basically if their players keep playing like they’ve got lots of potential rather than actually improving they’ve got a bottom 2 finish sold. I mean look at LDU, when’s he becoming a superstar? He’s 25, he had a really good year but clearly not good enough to help his team improve.

Don’t really see Darling as a big difference maker tbh
Abit of tounge & cheek fellas.
Darling will deliver us pick 1.

I don't think we should be targetting Cadman in the short to medium term. He will cost us two first round picks. We need the quantity and we have time. Happy to reassess in two or three years but right now we need quantity
2025 we offer norfs 1st and we keep ours or Visa versa.
He's young enough for the whole class of 24 too develop around.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Back