List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Pick 1

• Finn O'Sullivan

• Sam Lalor

• Jagga Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be derelict of the RFC list mgmt team to not obtain pick 2 and F1 from North while you have picks to do so.

On the other hand it would be derelict of the North list mgmt team to hand over 2 and F1 for only 6 & 11.

Each supporter group feels like they have to shaft the other team.

Will be interesting to see if a middle ground can be found by the list mgmt teams.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
Dude. That is the middle ground.

What in the last 20 odd years since Essendon won a final makes you feel like they’re future pick is worth as much as north?

They are stuck in mid table purgatory.

2024 - 11th
2023 - 11th
2022 - 15th
2021 - 8th
2020 - 13th
2019 - 8th
2018 - 11th
2017 - 7th
2016 - 18th (sanctions year)
2015 - 15th
2014 - 7th
2013 - “9th” sigh
2012 - 11th
2011 - 8th

And can’t be bothered but it’s 8ths and 12ths until like 03 (excluding 06 when 2nd last)

Norf on the other hand its

2024 - 17th
2023 - 17th
2022 - 18th
2021 - 18th
2020 - 17th
2019 - 12th
2018 - 9th
2017 - 15th

And before that it’s lots of 7-10s.

I’m all for getting Bombers pick too but much prefer norfs as the odds are that it’s the lower of the two picks are higher, but get both of them as the 3 top 10 picks is valuable next year.
We could of course ask for the Melbourne F1 which Essendon have (and why I single them out as a likely seller).

Essendons flag tilt has failed IMO (how are they improving next year?) but all future picks involve risk.

Put it this way, I don't expect there to be a lot of difference between Melbourne, North and Essendon's final ladder position next year.

It would be derelict of the RFC list mgmt team to not obtain pick 2 and F1 from North while you have picks to do so.

On the other hand it would be derelict of the North list mgmt team to hand over 2 and F1 for only 6 & 11.
J Peterman No GIF

Norf need this deal far more than we do.

We could of course ask for the Melbourne F1 which Essendon have (and why I single them out as a likely seller).

Essendons flag tilt has failed IMO (how are they improving next year?) but all future picks involve risk.

Put it this way, I don't expect there to be a lot of difference between Melbourne, North and Essendon's final ladder position next year.

North has the worst defence in the league by miles, 200 more points against than us in 2nd last and we are still 340 points worse than Essendon as 15th worst team.

Essendon and Melbourne could be worse than Norf but their ceiling on the ladder is way higher.

Especially if Norf get 6 and 11 which are Tauru and Armstrong who won’t help them next year compared to smillie and Reid at Dees or Kako at Bombers who’ll all play next year.

That’s an interesting assessment of StKilda. I would have thought they would be after a couple of quick midfielders. By the time the saints develop a decent midfield Max King will be 90.
They lost Josh Battle and they need some depth in the backline.

I'm just catching up so apologies for the historic post reply.
Why is it that when we, as a collective, are presented with an excellent deal via the media, we still find ways to try and extort the opposing side for even more?
I expect North to improve next year, but not drastically as there are not a lot of teams who are getting objectively worse. There's every chance it's going to be picks 6 and 11 for 2 and <5 (future pick).

I'm sorry but having a top 5 pick in any draft is going to be extremely valuable.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Thats just the way people are and believe they can extract even more blood from that stone

I would be extremely surprised if the suggested deal is as it was reported and there would be more from Richmond going back to North. Why would NorF so easily cave and give up #2 + F1 for #6 + #11

I do believe NorF will improve next year and win between 7-9/10 games with a very easy draft that will include 2 games against Richmond , Eagles , Saints , Bombers ,Suns & Deamons /Crows
They have some mature players now and we wont see a 50 point lead given up like 2024

Their F1 will be valued around pick #13-#14 in this years draft which teams are looking to get back into
Will that be sufficient to justify a slide from #2 - #6 in this years draft ? I hope so but somehow i doubt it and the NorF board wouldnt allow it even if Brady wanted to get it done.

As you said its a gift horse that we would be crazy not to accept as it serves 2 purposes
  • Gets us to #2 to take FOS & Lalor
  • Gives us a chance to get another top 5-7 pick in 2025

We should also be looking to get Essendons 1st rounder with a later pick if we can and have 3 x 1st rounders in 2025

But most footy fans want the sugar hit now and the rebuild fast tracked but it will be a 4/5 Year Rebuild

Semantics perhaps but one could argue that looking a gift horse in the mouth would be to trade up, lose one of the picks we’ve worked so hard to acquire, lose draft capital which could be parlayed into future picks, all in what is considered a very even draft with considerable depth.
If I had a penny for the amount of times I've seen someone say that this is a deep draft...
Pick 1 and 2 gives us control of our own destiny. I'm sure there will be someone there at 6 that we rate, I'm not disputing that. I've read hundreds of comments regarding this debate of whether to trade up or not but I've yet to see someone formulate a better argument than being able to take the top 2 names on our draft board whilst also having the flexibility to bid on an Ashcroft at 2 if we want to, to make sure Brisbane pay.

The top 2 names in all likelihood are Lalor and FOS who happen to be best mates and will never want to leave.
People also say "oh but pick 2 could end up being a flop". As could any other pick.

If this mooted deal with North is true, we could go two straight years having two picks within the top 5 which greatly increases our chances of snagging an absolute star or two.

Thats just the way people are and believe they can extract even more blood from that stone

I would be extremely surprised if the suggested deal is as it was reported and there would be more from Richmond going back to North. Why would NorF so easily cave and give up #2 + F1 for #6 + #11

I do believe NorF will improve next year and win between 7-9/10 games with a very easy draft that will include 2 games against Richmond , Eagles , Saints , Bombers ,Suns & Deamons /Crows
They have some mature players now and we wont see a 50 point lead given up like 2024

Their F1 will be valued around pick #13-#14 in this years draft which teams are looking to get back into
Will that be sufficient to justify a slide from #2 - #6 in this years draft ? I hope so but somehow i doubt it and the NorF board wouldnt allow it even if Brady wanted to get it done.

As you said its a gift horse that we would be crazy not to accept as it serves 2 purposes
  • Gets us to #2 to take FOS & Lalor
  • Gives us a chance to get another top 5-7 pick in 2025

We should also be looking to get Essendons 1st rounder with a later pick if we can and have 3 x 1st rounders in 2025

But most footy fans want the sugar hit now and the rebuild fast tracked but it will be a 4/5 Year Rebuild

Talent wise, a lot of people have said you could throw a blanket over about 6 names. Doesn’t make sense to trade up for a talent equivalent to what will be there at 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talent wise, a lot of people have said you could throw a blanket over about 6 names. Doesn’t make sense to trade up for a talent equivalent to what will be there at 6.

It absolutely does make sense.
Do you think our draft board looks like this?
1. LaFOSCroftLang
2. TauSmiReiArm
3. Etc
4. Etc

No, of course not. We will have a clear understanding of who we would want at each pick.
Why settle for whoever is left at 6 when we can just pick the two players we actually want without obstruction.
We are trying to build another list to contend for Flags again. Why compromise? I don't get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They say that but why dont we see Reid , Smillie , Langford , Tauru ever mentioned at pick #1 ?
I personally think its Lalor / Fos that are 1 & 2 with Jagga a very very close 3rd

Lalor & Fos had everything go bad for them in 2024 and are still at the pointy end whilst Smith,Langford,Draper had a year where everything went as they wanted

Lalor & Fos have the biggest upside and with 8 picks i want Richmond to take the players that have the potential to become our Next Dusty/Trent not the next Hopper/Lambert as we can get them later

Lalor - FOS - Sharp should be the core 3 mids we aim for

How I'd go about maximizing our draft hand over next 2 years.

2024: 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24

2025: 1, 19, 55

Trade 6 & 11 for North 2 & 2025 R1

2024: 1, 2, 10, 19, 20, 23, 24

2025: 1, North R1, 19, 55

After Essendon match a bid for Kako, offer our next available R1 (pick 11 for example) pick for Melbournes 2025 R1 pick(I believe they could finish below Essendon in 2025) & Essendons next available 2024 (40 or 46) depending on what they need to match Kako.

2024: 1, 2, 18, 20, 23, 24, 40/46

2025: 1, North R1, Melbourne R1, 19, 55

By doing this we split our haul across 2 drafts and give ourselves contract flexibility, as the CBA states that any player drafted inside the top 18 is signed to a minimum 3 year deal, while those outside the top 18 are signed to a minimum 2 year deal.

What that would mean is that picks 1 & 2 this year would be on 3 year deals and picks 18, 20, 23, 24 & 40/46 would all be on 2 year deals as they will fall outside the 3 year window. It would then mean that our 3 R1 picks next year would be on 3 year deals and 19 & 55 would be on 2 years.

Breakdown:
2024: 1 & 2 signed until 2027
2024: 18, 20, 23, 24, 40/46 signed until 2026
2025: 1, North R1, Dees R1 signed until 2028
2025: 19 & 55 signed until 2027

The question that would need to be asked by our recruiters/list management team would be is it worth moving 10 & 11 (possibly 13 & 14 after bids) from this year for possibly 1 x top 5 & 1 x top 10 or 2 x 5-10 range next year.

We're in a very strong position. Big bids (F1s) will come from clubs in the range 10-25 this year. For that reason, we want to have done good business with our first 3-4 picks.

Pick 1: FOS / Lalor
Pick 2: FOS / Lalor
Pick 6+10: Traded out to North for Pick 2 and F1
Pick 11: Harry Armstrong

I'd be very happy with that crop, even though I'm taking a key forward at pick 11.

We can then auction off the next 4 picks (18, 20, 23 and 24) for F1s from Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Essendon (who all have the capital to trade). If we like the offer, we take it. If not, we take the player on our board. It's not rocket science.

Walk away an expectation of 3-4 picks in the top 10 of the 2025 draft (us at #1, then death riding North Melbourne, Essendon/Melbourne, Collingwood). It's not inconceivable that we could end up with #1, #2 and #3 in 2025.

Do it for the melts.

They say that but why dont we see Reid , Smillie , Langford , Tauru ever mentioned at pick #1 ?
I personally think its Lalor / Fos that are 1 & 2 with Jagga a very very close 3rd

Lalor & Fos had everything go bad for them in 2024 and are still at the pointy end whilst Smith,Langford,Draper had a year where everything went as they wanted

Lalor & Fos have the biggest upside and with 8 picks i want Richmond to take the players that have the potential to become our Next Dusty/Trent not the next Hopper/Lambert as we can get them later

Lalor - FOS - Sharp should be the core 3 mids we aim for
Draper has had a very interrupted 2024 season
He came into the Nationals underdone having played very little football in the first half of the season due to stress fractures in the shin and chronic pars defect in his back..
What he was able to do in the SANFL in the latter half of the season is easily as good as any other top 10 prospect.

Whoever gets this kid is getting a jet.

I’m not trading away 11 (or 10) for a future pick tied to anyone but North

Essendon or Melbourne could theoretically push higher than North would ever be expected to

Sure trade pick 11 to North for F1 but we should keep 10 and take it to the draft if that does happen

Over the next few days we're going back to the start of the season to fill in a few performances that were missed. Here we see Harvey Langford, still sporting the long hair, playing more forward than mid and taking a number of impressive contested marks. If his lack of pace does impact his ability to play through the middle at AFL level he can always fall back on his ability to impact the game as a medium forward.

I think North would walk away if you think that is the middle ground.

Either way both teams will get a gun at 1 and 2 and North keeps a top 4 pick next year.

Probable the most sensible thing to happen.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk
What makes it interesting is if you have 2 x players you want this draft you need us or gws to make it happen.

Tauru will be there at 6 so why not get him there plus the chance of another good get at 11.

Just seems like holding 2 to use on him is nearly a waste, if that's who the roos really want.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Back