List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Pick 1

• Finn O'Sullivan

• Sam Lalor

• Jagga Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it means that trade for picks might be actually happening or more chance of happening.

Pick 2 & F1 for picks 6 & 11.

With the first pick in the 2024 AFL draft Richmond Tigers select - Finn O’Sullivan out of Koroit.
With the second pick in the 2024 AFL draft Richmond Tigers select - Sam Lalor out of Bacchus Marsh.
Let’s go

Yes.
Our supporters are so mentally scarred it's crazy.
The future 1st we get from North is a top 5 pick in all likelihood.
I will always take our chances with a top 5 pick rather than a pick between 10 and 15. You don't need to worry about draft depth in the top 5.

Sure, we will get a good player at 10 or 11 this year, maybe even a great one.
However, the cream often rises to the top and that's where I'd rather we invest in.

I'll back in our recruiting team until they convince me not to.
I'd respectfully suggest the mental scarring is from those who believe that unless we have picks 1 & 2 to give us access to the kids we rate 1 & 2 or we don't have 4 picks inside the top 15 that we're not going to nail the draft.

I'm of the opinion that we don't necessarily need those 2 picks to nail the draft. I believe we can do just as well by staying where we're at in the draft and letting the players fall to us as the draft unfolds.

However if we are going to go down the path of trading out some picks in this draft, then lets do so aggressively and use the picks that teams will overpay for, which are 6, 10 & 11. We could very well turn those 3 picks into pick 2 this year, multiple R1 picks next year and possibly even some later picks this year and/or next year if we've got enough to teams looking at buying in.

Meteoric Rise was kind of right, in that we're the house when it comes to selling picks this year, and to truly cash in and get maximum returns for our picks we need to be open to trading out the most valuable picks we've got outside pick 1.

18(22), 20(24), 23(27) & 24(28) aren't getting us potential top 10 picks in next years draft, no matter how much people want to believe they will. No list manager in their right mind would pull the trigger on those deals and I'd bet my last dollar that this place would melt like never before if the roles were reversed and Hartley traded out a top 10, possibly top 5 pick in next years draft for a mid 20s pick this year, yet many are seemingly expecting that very thing to happen this year and we'll land a top end pick for a very late R1

You are speaking theoretically, when these decisions are to be made by people with an intimate knowledge of the players available this year and next year

Pick 10 this year is a better player than Pick 5 most years, this is the consensus

You don't have to agree with it, but it is what it is
That’s not the consensus, the consensus is that normally you have a bankable AFL player up to pick 15 or 20 and this year that pushes out to like pick 35

As much as I want FOS, if it’s true we’re gonna take Lalor at 1, and we don’t trade for 2, I’d be stoked with Smith at 6.

Man I’d even love Smillie, I was way off him cause of how low intensity he can seem at times, and how he takes the ball too close to his body, but watching his highlights against the Dogs VFL made me keen.

As much as I want FOS, if it’s true we’re gonna take Lalor at 1, and we don’t trade for 2, I’d be stoked with Smith at 6.

Man I’d even love Smillie, I was way off him cause of how low intensity he can seem at times, and how he takes the ball too close to his body, but watching his highlights against the Dogs VFL made me keen.
Think it will be Smith or Smillie depending what Dees do.

Although I'm really not convinced Draper goes top 4.

Well we have all been conditioned to Lalor & Fos as #1 & #2 but nobody really knows what the club intends with selections

We may not even rate FOS or Lalor as 1 & 2 and may think Jagga & Langford are the better players going foward and '
plays the game and dont want to reveal our hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of Interest How does NorF end up with #2 , #15 , #16 ?

There is no way on earth that GWS trade out #15 + #16 for NorF's F1
2 reasons and 1st is GWS actually are trying to move up the pick's they have into a top 10 pick
2nd Even if they do the F1 is only worth 1 of the 2 picks

* I would actually see what we could do with GWS as a trade for #10 for #15 + #16
Key word is or.

GWS might, like us with 10 & 11 elect to use the first of their two consecutive picks (15 & 16 unless I've read it wrong). Then trade the second. I'm not suggesting they trade both.

Why would GWS give up 15 and 16 for a future first if they think they could try and get 10 or 11 live int eh draft depending on who is there?
15 OR 16, not 15 and 16.

I'd respectfully suggest the mental scarring is from those who believe that unless we have picks 1 & 2 to give us access to the kids we rate 1 & 2 or we don't have 4 picks inside the top 15 that we're not going to nail the draft.

I'm of the opinion that we don't necessarily need those 2 picks to nail the draft. I believe we can do just as well by staying where we're at in the draft and letting the players fall to us as the draft unfolds.

However if we are going to go down the path of trading out some picks in this draft, then lets do so aggressively and use the picks that teams will overpay for, which are 6, 10 & 11. We could very well turn those 3 picks into pick 2 this year, multiple R1 picks next year and possibly even some later picks this year and/or next year if we've got enough to teams looking at buying in.

Meteoric Rise was kind of right, in that we're the house when it comes to selling picks this year, and to truly cash in and get maximum returns for our picks we need to be open to trading out the most valuable picks we've got outside pick 1.

18(22), 20(24), 23(27) & 24(28) aren't getting us potential top 10 picks in next years draft, no matter how much people want to believe they will. No list manager in their right mind would pull the trigger on those deals and I'd bet my last dollar that this place would melt like never before if the roles were reversed and Hartley traded out a top 10, possibly top 5 pick in next years draft for a mid 20s pick this year, yet many are seemingly expecting that very thing to happen this year and we'll land a top end pick for a very late R1

There seems to be a lot of very good players available at all of our picks in the 2024 draft. Damn.

So our default position should always be we take the picks this year. Having that default position makes us the house. If someone wants any of those picks, they need to be giving us clear reasons to pass up our favoured player and instead sell them the pick.

Because we are the house, clubs will be coming to us with clear reasons to hand them a valuable pick so they can get a player they really like into their club in 2024. Their are no fair deals here. That moment has passed. We have a virtual monopoly. We are the house. We take our 8 picks at the draft. Or we end up with a position that is clearly better than that. Those are the only two outcomes that should be possible here. Not maybe better, not a good chance to be better, IS better, end of. Don't bitch, don't grumble, don't negotiate. Pay the price we ask or say hello to the door. We are the house. :)

in this sceanrio, RFC is crazy trading up with pick 6 for 2 because we get one of Smith or Smillie or another if we keep 6.

If I am RFC I am thinking with our later picks can we get pick 12/13 and 14 depending on who is still there and is it worth it?

Freo, West Coast and Port will have there own ideas who they would like. Being interstate, more open to trading as targeting specific players or even going into futures or trading back I think

This is my thinking too.

Once again I'm just a pundit with no inside knowledge. Possibly it's Melbourne take Smith at 5 and we're choosing between Smillie and Langford at 6.

Or if North don't take Tauru we end up choosing from him and Smillie at 6.

Not a bad bunch of choices and keeps pick 11 rather than trading for north's F1. We can probably instead trade 18 (or 20 perhaps) for someone else's F1.

When you slice and dice it, is keeping pick 11 and drafting Lalor & Langford better than losing it and getting Lalor and FOS.

This is my thinking too.

Once again I'm just a pundit with no inside knowledge. Possibly it's Melbourne take Smith at 5 and we're choosing between Smillie and Langford at 6.

Or if North don't take Tauru we end up choosing from him and Smillie at 6.

Not a bad bunch of choices and keeps pick 11 rather than trading for north's F1. We can probably instead trade 18 (or 20 perhaps) for someone else's F1.

When you slice and dice it, is keeping pick 11 and drafting Lalor & Langford better than losing it and getting Lalor and FOS.
Lalor & Langford/Smillie/Jagga + whoever we pick at 11, maybe Xavier Lindsay?

If we could get Lalor, Langford and Lindsay, then fluckin "L"

Saints being keen on Tauru really helps the pick swap with North. Would need to secure pick 6 if they want to trade down.
It's in Saints best interest to either trade or convince them to trade with us or they'll be left with the dregs if North take FOS @ 2.

Doubt they’d use pick 2 to fill the hard forward flank in the vfl..
When he kicked that goal in the 2018 GF I had a horrible feeling. Dunno the terms of his departure but hat tip if he’s turned his back on good $ because he doesn’t want to do it anymore.

We should pay Dom Sheed $400k to play 3 games of VFL for us when he hangs them up - forever in his debt 🙏

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Back