List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9, and big fishes Tom Campbell and Harry Sharp in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Alex Neal-Bullen (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Adam Tomlinson (Delisted)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)
  • Future First (Traded to Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Picks 40, 54, 65 (Traded to Essendon)
  • Pick 49 (Traded to Brisbane)
Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent from St Kilda)
  • Pick 9 (Traded from Essendon)
  • Harry Sharp (Traded from Brisbane)
  • Future Third (Traded from Brisbane)
On-traded:
  • Pick 28 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Pick 46 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Future Third (from Essendon, to Brisbane)

Last edited by a moderator:
The testing doesnt mean much to me, I prefer the eye test and he absolutely does look slow on the field. You dont watch him and notice anything in terms of great agility in game.
I think it was Paul Roos that said about the combine that the only thing you look at is the 2km time trial and their character.

The rest is just how they play footy.

The testing doesnt mean much to me, I prefer the eye test and he absolutely does look slow on the field. You dont watch him and notice anything in terms of great agility in game.
I know you don’t like data/stats, but it's pretty hard to refute physical testing. I'd say his decision making is still a bit slow which led to him getting run down a few times, but athletically, I don’t think he's slow.

Not making an argument for him being lightning quick, but concerns about Langford's pace (reasonably valid, but he's pretty evasive) have nothing to do with Tholstrup really.

I think it was Paul Roos that said about the combine that the only thing you look at is the 2km time trial and their character.

The rest is just how they play footy.
He was also in the top 10 for the 2km last year

I know you don’t like data/stats, but it's pretty hard to refute physical testing. I'd say his decision making is still a bit slow which led to him getting run down a few times, but athletically, I don’t think he's slow.

Not making an argument for him being lightning quick, but concerns about Langford's pace (reasonably valid, but he's pretty evasive) have nothing to do with Tholstrup really.
I just think it can be misleading and it doesnt show up on the field. People fall in love too much over combine testing rather than going off what you see on tape in games, instincts and processing is far more important than speed or agility, if you've got those two traits it doesnt matter how you test or if youre regarded as "slow" (like Murphy Reid for example this year). See it in the NFL all the time, guys that are slow in combine testing look far faster on the field and vice versa. One running back might test much slower than another running back, but if he makes the correct read and hits the right hole constantly he'll look much quicker than a guy who tested well but runs into his offensive lineman's backside coz hes making the wrong read.

Tholstrup looks slow in this regard.

Anyway "Tholstrup sucks" rant aside, I do agree that Langford is nothing like him. :tearsofjoy:

Not making an argument for him being lightning quick, but concerns about Langford's pace (reasonably valid, but he's pretty evasive)
When a mid can be caught and made to balk, within a kick of f50... that just losers our forwards advantage to get space to receive.
Big bodied mids are just to win inside ball mainly. and not quick enough moving the footy forward to advantage.

Here's a question for you all:

Which do you prefer
A) A guy who is kamikaze and that delivers the ball down the throat of an opponent.

Or

B) Somebody who is more measured but can hit his targets.

Speed is fine with precision. Pendles-types by no means are "fast" but by hitting targets the most they make the game "fast".

I just think it can be misleading and it doesnt show up on the field. People fall in love too much over combine testing rather than going off what you see on tape in games, instincts and processing is far more important than speed or agility, if you've got those two traits it doesnt matter how you test or if youre regarded as "slow" (like Murphy Reid for example this year). See it in the NFL all the time, guys that are slow in combine testing look far faster on the field and vice versa. One running back might test much slower than another running back, but if he makes the correct read and hits the right hole constantly he'll look much quicker than a guy who tested well but runs into his offensive lineman's backside coz hes making the wrong read.

Tholstrup looks slow in this regard.

Anyway "Tholstrup sucks" rant aside, I do agree that Langford is nothing like him. :tearsofjoy:

Tell me, what do you think the Dees would be going with Langford that they weren’t going for last year with Tholstrupp?

Exact same role as Trac and Sparrow. (And Sestan). Something we don’t need more of.

Rather use pick 5 on Smith, Tauru or even Reid than another contested beast.

Tell me, what do you think the Dees would be going with Langford that they weren’t going for last year with Tholstrupp?

Exact same role as Trac and Sparrow. (And Sestan). Something we don’t need more of.

Rather use pick 5 on Smith, Tauru or even Reid than another contested beast.
Do you watch the games or just go off body type? Langford is so much more than Tholstrup was in under 18s or will ever be in the AFL.

I never said he was who I want btw, I've made it pretty clear it's Smith, Draper 1 and 2 and Reid 3.

If we selected Langford i can live with it however, don't think hes terrible or another Sparrow or Tholstrup at all.

Ideally you want the right combination of contested big bodies, and hard running aggressive kickers to play around the bigger bodies who do their work at stoppage.

We had gone too far with the contest style but this draft has some inside types in the top 6 or so, so we are better off just grabbing one for the future and trying for more run and carry and a KPP over the next couple of drafts.

Tholstrup it's all about decision making for me. I think his skills seem solid and his pace is fine. He just got caught too easily or his decision making was too slow. Hopefully that comes with more senior footy. His character is a beauty. Reckon he'll be a good player for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9, and big fishes Tom Campbell and Harry Sharp in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back