List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – where everybody gets a ludicrously long extension!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think as MarcMaverick pointed out it's part of the territory. They seem to either try to outdo each other with their scoops or try to outdo each other with faux outrage over some random injury caused by some random action, usually a bump.
Plus for the most part, Footy media is really dull. Like it's a chore to sit through for the casual supporter.

I find it weird that amongst our fans even now it feels like Oliver is genuinely more liked than Trac, Kozzy and May.
The only logic I could speak to would be that is when Oliver burst onto the scene it was probably the first time in my life I genuinely thought 'We have a potential top ten player on our hands.' Petracca was a much slower burn. Max really didn't announce himself until later in his career. So maybe that he was the first star we'd had in so long has something to do with it.

That being said I don't know you couldn't be extremely disappointed by how he's treated the club over the past couple of years.

Last edited:

As a big advocate to trade him last year, I wouldn’t even consider it now unless two first rounders are on the table (which they won’t be).

Why do we even need cap space with Grundy gone, Harmes gone, Brayshaw gone, Hibberd gone and Gawn/May/BBB/Tomlinson and Tmac almost gone. We should have close to a warchest as it is without even considering Oliver’s contract.

Whats Lamb going to do with another 1.5m a year to spend? Bloke is trash at luring talent. Yeah, let’s go spend big on another big fish like Grundy/Billings/Hunter/Schache/Hore/Fullerton/Mcadam to play in the 2s?

I am still waiting to see what Lamb does with the cash freed up from Jackson leaving let alone all those after him.

I'm a bit like everyone else. I think it does take something drastic for Oliver to be traded. By that I mean if he stuffs up again or maybe there would be a club willing to take on that contract? I highly doubt so but..

As some have mooted, the club is far bigger then the individual. If there was an opportunity to trade him where we could receive multiple first round picks then I'd take it in a heartbeat. **** the Melbourne supporters that will melt if this happens, we're the most sensitive supporter base in the league so of course this wouldn't surprise me.

Make an offer for Brayshaw perhaps or even Finn Callaghan perhaps and still give us a chance to continue on the rebuild on the run. This year has also proven what a group of young kids does for the team morale and performance. They bring energy and excitement and gives the senior players a bit more prep in their step.

And lastly, what on earth was Tim Lamb thinking when he and his manager agreed and drafted up this contract?! Absolute shambles and I wish someone like Kane Cornes would put more heat on Tim Lamb directly for orchestrating this botched contract deal.
I tell you what they were thinking, a certain coach and board said you give me Trac Oliver and Brayshaw as my 3 inside mids and we'll dominate for years to come, other clubs would wish they are us.

Can't see us trading him barring another meltdown from him, and personally I'd like us to keep him to see what he can do next year with a full pre-season.

Don't see the point in trading him with a first round pick as Cornes suggested, as how would we then trade for a player to spend his money on? And as mentioned, we should be flush with Brayshaw's money anyway. Guess we could afford to pay half his contract to play elsewhere and I know it worked for Collingwood but I don't see it happening.

The only logic I could speak to would be on that is when Oliver burst onto the scene it was probably the first time in my life I genuinely thought 'We have a potential top ten player on our hands.' Petracca was a much slower burn. Max really didn't announce himself until later in his career. So maybe that he was the first star we'd had in so long has something to do with it.

That being said I don't know you couldn't be extremely disappointed by how he's treated the club over the past couple of years.
Footy media partly to blame as well, the media and supporters are often years behind what actually makes a good player in terms of the current strategy.
I think a large section of supporters still think inside 50s and disposals are the most important things in footy and are the hardest things to get when in reality they really are the easiest. Same as rucks and hitouts.
Nick dal Santo literally said against WC that 20 Oliver disposals still makes him a great player, yeah nah ****wit

People last year on here still thought we couldn't win games without Oliver dominating, I'd argue we've won 10 games this year and he hasn't dominated any

Footy media partly to blame as well, the media and supporters are often years behind what actually makes a good player in terms of the current strategy.
I think a large section of supporters still think inside 50s and disposals are the most important things in footy and are the hardest things to get when in reality they really are the easiest. Same as rucks and hitouts.
Nick dal Santo literally said against WC that 20 Oliver disposals still makes him a great player, yeah nah ****wit

People last year on here still thought we couldn't win games without Oliver dominating, I'd argue we've won 10 games this year and he hasn't dominated any
When Oliver started the game lived in contest and he was able to get it out of congestion as well as anyone I’d ever seen. Game has changed a lot since then, don’t know that it will ever go back with how teams structure up since the stand rule came in.

Can't see us trading him barring another meltdown from him, and personally I'd like us to keep him to see what he can do next year with a full pre-season.

Don't see the point in trading him with a first round pick as Cornes suggested, as how would we then trade for a player to spend his money on? And as mentioned, we should be flush with Brayshaw's money anyway.
We still have to include some of Brayshaws stupid contract in future payments

When Oliver started the game lived in contest and he was able to get it out of congestion as well as anyone I’d ever seen. Game has changed a lot since then, don’t know that it will ever go back with how teams structure up since the stand rule came in.
Yeah and that's true, he the best at Melbourne by a mile. There was also a heap of blokes around like Mitchell, Libba, Wines etc who did it as well and were slated for being limited footballers. Even Cripps is a far more balanced player than Oliver.
Oliver started like a house on fire but he never really developed, he was just a supercharged inside handballer. Always been a fairly irrelevant player outside the contest and does hurt us when he kicks more than handballs.

Disagree he never really developed. He improved his fitness (now lost that), got that burst out of stoppage going for a while and also improved his set shot the last couple years. It's the high dump kick garbage that he has never been able to stop doing that is extremely frustrating.
What did he get much better at from his first couple years? Not alot. He just became a fitter version but as a player his handball game regressed from his first few years. Never became a goal kicker, never impacted on the outside. He was already one of the best inside players in the comp inside 2 or 3 seasons. He never improved there.

10 million plus over 6 years that's actually shocking. Was never a top 10 player in the comp I'm with Kane that's one of the worst contracts ever.

Whats Lamb going to do with another 1.5m a year to spend? Bloke is trash at luring talent. Yeah, let’s go spend big on another big fish like Grundy/Billings/Hunter/Schache/Hore/Fullerton/Mcadam to play in the 2s?

I am still waiting to see what Lamb does with the cash freed up from Jackson leaving let alone all those after him.
Bloody Tim Lamb's fault we have no home training base, rubbish facilities, a shit coach and players who fight in public :madv1: :madv1::madv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did he get much better at from his first couple years? Not alot. He just became a fitter version but as a player his handball game regressed from his first few years. Never became a goal kicker, never impacted on the outside. He was already one of the best inside players in the comp inside 2 or 3 seasons. He never improved there.

10 million plus over 6 years that's actually shocking. Was never a top 10 player in the comp I'm with Kane that's one of the worst contracts ever.
He definitely was in the top ten in multiple years. Agree it's a terrible contract since the club knew he was barely keeping it together off-field.

He definitely was in the top ten in multiple years. Agree it's a terrible contract since the club knew he was barely keeping it together off-field.
He wasn't. In the last 5 years Petracca, May and Gawn were better and more valuable players for us. We don't have 4 in the top 10.

Top 10 mid, yeah. Top 10 player? Nope.

Bont, Neale, Daicos, Cripps, Cameron, Gawn, Petracca, Stewart, Warner, Bolton, Curnow, Greene,

I have those guys comfortably at their best infront of Oliver.

I rate others higher too based on damage in disposal such as Gulden, Merrett, Butters.

Oliver's greatest skill was his high level of consistency. Still doesn't make him the best or top 10 best, most consistent? Yeah. Win you the most games? Nah.

He was better than all of Tracc, May, Max in 21 and 22 and was definitely a top ten player in those years. In my opinion. Doubt we will change each other's minds :love:
You can have May and Max although I disagree, Trac averaged 29 disposals, kicked 29 goals, 19 goal assists with and won the Normy
Oliver averaged 30 disposals, kicked 11 goals, 18 goal assists with 6.3 clearances.

Petracca always a better kick than Oliver and always able to out mark players around the ground which Oliver can't. 23 marks inside 50 to 6.

Only thing Oliver was better at was winning a 50/50 ball and finding a teammate. Tracs better at every other aspect of footy.

Yeah, Rivers went apeshit and won a stupid amount of contested possessions in tough conditions on the weekend. Not hard to find guys who win the ball.

I can't get over that contract for Oliver. Clearly 0 effort to take a little less to help us build a side and all about him and his manager getting as much as possible. Hate him even more now

I find it staggering they’d do it when they were most likely aware of him being very loose off the field.

The thing I'm struggling with is even if you trade Oliver to lose that contract. If we're trying to entice a Brayshaw or whoever to come over to the club you are basically offering a very similar deal to what Oliver is on.

The thing I'm struggling with is even if you trade Oliver to lose that contract. If we're trying to entice a Brayshaw or whoever to come over to the club you are basically offering a very similar deal to what Oliver is on.
Yeah I'm not sure that's where I'd spent it, but consummate pro and potential captain > Gawns couch mate

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – where everybody gets a ludicrously long extension!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back