List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd probably argue Lester will be retired, Doedee is unknown with injuries, Gardiner is a 3rd tall at best, Joyce is good back up and ZZ hasn't shown anything yet - I dont see a Harries replacement in there, no stars. Ryan is not what we are looking for, not even depth really and Lloyd is a long way off. It might be we have midfielders to trade in a few years but I think they will still be looking for a Joe or Harris.
Yes, but if we're talking about next season and the 2024 draft, Lester is still around for another year, the club will give Doedee a chance to come back to fitness and show what he can do, Gardiner is reliable and flexible, Ryan is a mature body and Lloyd and ZZ are still developing. I don't disagree that there's no Harris or Joe replacement yet, it's just that I don't know if we'll draft someone this year to fill those roles, or if it'll be next year or the year after. Next year, a kid may not get the VFL playing time with all the depth here currently.

It's a pity that this year we have few list spots when there's serious depth of talent, especially at KPD. Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrell both made the U18 AFL Academy team, Clancy Dennis made the U18 All Australian team, and we all know how much Crusha rates James Barrat and has provided ample video footage to back up their view, but all of them are rated past pick 35 by draft watchers. If we can free up the list space, there are potential bargains to be had.

I'd probably argue Lester will be retired, Doedee is unknown with injuries, Gardiner is a 3rd tall at best, Joyce is good back up and ZZ hasn't shown anything yet - I dont see a Harries replacement in there, no stars. Ryan is not what we are looking for, not even depth really and Lloyd is a long way off. It might be we have midfielders to trade in a few years but I think they will still be looking for a Joe or Harris.

Why would we worry about a Harris and/or Joe replacements? Both Harris and Joe have another four/five years at best of good footy in them. (as reported both in talks to extend beyond 2025)

I trust Zane Zakostelsky will be given time to develop. As it has been noted, it has been quite an interrupted year for him without a pre-season. Maybe we have ZZ pegged as a Harris replacement? After all Harris didn't exactly explode into the seniors. He started as a forward on the list and through necessity was shifted back.

Lloyd being a long way off as what? Tall forward, mid size back, tall utility, even a tall mid? He has shown good traits in all these positions in his first year on the list. Not everyone is Morris and gets their chance in their debut year. Some will have to bide their time, just like Lohman. There is no template, everyone's journey to establishing a senior spot is different.

I would not be writing off first year players and drafting replacements. I personally don't see a need on the list to go tall in this year's draft or looking to recruit one from another team, unless they are Oscar Allen or Sam Darcy. Maybe we are looking at our academy and see if there is tall/s to add to the list. But I think some have already been identified and spoken about.

Lester I agree he has one year at most and he is not the type that screams we need to recruit a quality replacement. We can do it from among our current list.

Doedee could be anything. Could be an upgrade on Lester or could be a total bust due to his injury issues. He is a work in progress.

All teams need back ups. No team has A grade AAs back ups and as you have noted Joyce is a good one at that. So IMO no need to look for mature replacement back up at this stage.

As for no stars among the talls not playing seniors. Which team in the AFL has stars running around in the ressies worthy of being recognised as stars? Who is to say that ZZ or Lloyd won't turn out to be stars given an opportunity. After all Andrews had the luxury of developing by playing regular seniors in a shyte team. Not sure we can gift places in the senior squad these days to develop them in the AFL side. Most will have to do it the hard way and just bide their time.

With Will and Levi plus other likely midfield types from the Academy gives us the flexibility to roll the dice with project type players. If Coleman's knee does not come good (fingers crossed on that one) and Zorko retires there could be a need in that type of position but no point worry until the situation is there.

With Will and Levi plus other likely midfield types from the Academy gives us the flexibility to roll the dice with project type players. If Coleman's knee does not come good (fingers crossed on that one) and Zorko retires there could be a need in that type of position but no point worry until the situation is there.

We have two in our back pocket already. Brain and Beecken.

Perhaps they can develop into a Coleman or Zorko.
I am very bullish on what Shadeau can do for us, his disposal by foot has gone off a little in the latter half of the season but it is a serious weapon when on, also very hard at it and a good intercept mark for his size, still very young.

I also think half back flankers are one of the easiest commodity to fill. Hardly a shortage of players around the league who play it well, or can be thrown back there to play it. Would never support coughing up anything significant for a half back flanker.
Essendon did with McGrath :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also think half back flankers are one of the easiest commodity to fill. Hardly a shortage of players around the league who play it well, or can be thrown back there to play it. Would never support coughing up anything significant for a half back flanker.
Its great when you have a great kick back there. But its also amazing how many mids become much better kicks when given a little bit more time and space in the backline when able to run off small forwards.

Still would be nice if a couple more of our academy kids coming over the next few years develop top level kicking skills

Depends on the HBFer. Andrew McLeod won a couple of Norm Smiths playing on a back flank didn't he? Pretty sure Hodgey did as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back