List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would normally post these in the VFL thread ..... but they are as much a part of this years draft equation as Levi & Sam.

From the Semi Final v Williamstown:

Luke Beecken #47

Darcy Craven #50

Will McLachlan #42

I would normally post these in the VFL thread ..... but they are as much a part of this years draft equation as Levi & Sam.

From the Semi Final v Williamstown:

Luke Beecken #47

Darcy Craven #50

Will McLachlan #42

Agree on Beecken and Craven will come into the equation in the 2024 draft selections.
Will we or won't we resign these two.
However, McLachlan is contracted to 2025 so not relevant this year.

List spots will be tight this year so we will just have to go on the clubs decision on who gets retained.

Agree on Beecken and Craven will come into the equation in the 2024 draft selections.
Will we or won't we resign these two.
However, McLachlan is contracted to 2025 so not relevant this year.

List spots will be tight this year so we will just have to go on the clubs decision on who gets retained.

I am aware Will has signed for 2025.
I still think he impacts this years Draft i.e. whether we limit to two selections and he becomes the third selection as a Rookie "upgrade" for instance, instead of taking a third selection (late).

We currently have 8 other Rookies - Lane, Joyce, Beecken, Craven [2024] - McKenna, Reville, Lester [2025] and Brain [2026]. I am not sure which, if any, of these need to come off the rookie list or face "forced" delisting, especially since the recent changes announced by the AFL.

At the least he will impact list management decisions, as i don't think he is going anywhere (unless it's his choice).

I agree how "tight" the situation is this year, and I think it's vitally important to get it right given Tasmania's looming inclusion (and the concessions they will be given, possibly beginning as early as 2026).

I believe the List Management decisions of 2024 and 2025 will likely impact the Clubs success, or otherwise, for at least the next decade.

I am aware Will has signed for 2025.
I still think he impacts this years Draft i.e. whether we limit to two selections and he becomes the third selection as a Rookie "upgrade" for instance, instead of taking a third selection (late).

We currently have 8 other Rookies - Lane, Joyce, Beecken, Craven [2024] - McKenna, Reville, Lester [2025] and Brain [2026]. I am not sure which, if any, of these need to come off the rookie list or face "forced" delisting, especially since the recent changes announced by the AFL.

At the least he will impact list management decisions, as i don't think he is going anywhere (unless it's his choice).

I agree how "tight" the situation is this year, and I think it's vitally important to get it right given Tasmania's looming inclusion (and the concessions they will be given, possibly beginning as early as 2026).

I believe the List Management decisions of 2024 and 2025 will likely impact the Clubs success, or otherwise, for at least the next decade.
McLachlan may agree to go on a rookie list as you suggested if the AFL rules allow it, and he will gain more years.
As such more money but over more years and more chances to break into the senior side.
I can't find anything much on the MSD other than pay scales in the new players agreement.
Only that it is still being negotiated in a separate paragraph. Could be an updated one somewhere
He would just have to take a pay cut in 2025 of $30k to go down that path. Is he happy in Brisbane or not may affect this decision.

All 1st national draft players get $4,000 for each AFL game they play. Rookies A & B and midseason draft get $3,000
There are other bonuses mentioned like winning a Brownlow, Club B & F but most are unlikely for a 1st year player so won't go into them. So will just mention the base salary.
However, their base scale rate is different, some come with a bonus next year in regard to the increased Players Bargaining Agreement

Base Salary:
Midseason Draft: $50K. No bonus but a termination payment of $20K.
If signed for 18 months. In their 2nd year they go on a scale depending on where they were picked in the draft.
In Will McLachlan case, he would be 51+ draft pick. That Base rate is $130 k including a $15 k bonus

Category A rookie gets $100k. No bonus mentioned
National Draft pick 51+ gets $130K includes $15k bonus.

So, McLachlan would drop $30k in salary in 2025 but gain money and opportunity in his Rookie years.
That's if the club see things like you have mentioned, and it is allowed in the AFL rules.

McLachlan may agree to go on a rookie list as you suggested if the AFL rules allow it, and he will gain more years.
As such more money but over more years and more chances to break into the senior side.
I can't find anything much on the MSD other than pay scales in the new players agreement.
Only that it is still being negotiated in a separate paragraph. Could be an updated one somewhere
He would just have to take a pay cut in 2025 of $30k to go down that path. Is he happy in Brisbane or not may affect this decision.

All 1st national draft players get $4,000 for each AFL game they play. Rookies A & B and midseason draft get $3,000
There are other bonuses mentioned like winning a Brownlow, Club B & F but most are unlikely for a 1st year player so won't go into them. So will just mention the base salary.
However, their base scale rate is different, some come with a bonus next year in regard to the increased Players Bargaining Agreement

Base Salary:
Midseason Draft: $50K. No bonus but a termination payment of $20K.
If signed for 18 months. In their 2nd year they go on a scale depending on where they were picked in the draft.
In Will McLachlan case, he would be 51+ draft pick. That Base rate is $130 k including a $15 k bonus

Category A rookie gets $100k. No bonus mentioned
National Draft pick 51+ gets $130K includes $15k bonus.

So, McLachlan would drop $30k in salary in 2025 but gain money and opportunity in his Rookie years.
That's if the club see things like you have mentioned, and it is allowed in the AFL rules.
MSD players go on the rookie list from memory, so Will is already there. It's just that there's a trade off been senior list spots and Cat A rookie spots so any additional rookie means a corresponding drop in senior list spots.

Beekens disposal off half back looks similar to Zorko. You can tell our shift into a chip mark possession off the half back line in our drafting can't you. A backline of half backs with Coleman, Zorko, Wilmot, Brain, Beeken, McKenna (down on form) shows the effort put into those guys.

Brain and Beeken look like good bargain basement pickups for the half back line with very impressive disposal. Hopefully they can develop the defensive side of their game too.

Logan Morris... Luke Lloyd... Ty Gallop??

Very difficult to trade in elite KPFs, clubs do not want to let them go, we did so bloody well to get Joe.
Daniher is 31 next year.
McInerney is 31 next year.
Andrews is 30 next year.
Gardiner is 29 next year.
Hipwood is 28 next year.

Really need to start looking for some genuine height.

Henry Smith looks like he might be a long term replacement for McInerney, but he still looks a couple of seasons away.

Morris and Lloyd are both "hybrid" third tall forwards, and shouldn't be viewed as Daniher or Hipwood replacements.

Daniher is 31 next year.
Andrews is 30 next year.
Hipwood is 28 next year.

Henry Smith looks like he might be a long term replacement for McInerney, but he still looks a couple of seasons away.

Morris and Lloyd are both "hybrid" third tall forwards, and shouldn't be viewed as Daniher or Hipwood replacements.

I agree with your overall point but I think you've switched Andrews' and Gardiner's ages. Andrews doesn't turn 29 until December next year.

Logan Morris... Luke Lloyd... Ty Gallop??

Very difficult to trade in elite KPFs, clubs do not want to let them go, we did so bloody well to get Joe.
Sam Darcy may say hold my spot too !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniher is 31 next year.
Andrews is 30 next year.
Hipwood is 28 next year.

This reinforces that the time is NOW.

I just want this grand final hoodoo gone. Then I can enjoy footy again.

Last edited:
This reinforces that the time is NOW.

I just want this grand final hoodoo gone. Then I can enjoy footy again.
We have another 2-3 seasons of being top 4 contenders at least, which could be extended as we have some very highly ranked academy and F/S prospects coming in over the next few drafts.... definitely need some key position players in the next 3-4 years though.

Neale is 32 next year.
Daniher is 31 next year.
Andrews is 29 next year.
Gardiner is 30 next year.
Hipwood is 28 next year.

Zorko is 36 next year but he is a freak and sets an example of what can be done if you want it enough.

With modern rehab and conditioning techniques if a player has the desire to play on they would be capable of playing to a high level right up to 33-35 years of age IMO.

Daniher is 31 next year.
Andrews is 30 next year.
Hipwood is 28 next year.

Hmmmmm :think:

1726022686579.png

By the look of it the Suns have got another bumper crop of draftees coming in next year... if the new draft rules allow it.
Some interesting selections from WA in there as well. Selecting the Fremantle and West Coast nga and father son kids, but not some of the more highly touted WA kids.

Plays as the third tall in the Adelaide set up. Rarely been asked to lead the forward line, and when he has, he’s been completely blanketed.

I don’t have an issue with shorter KPF’s if they’re part of a tall forward group, such as Morris with Hipwood & Daniher.

But if your most talented tall forward is your third tall, your team is going to be in trouble.

Plays as the third tall in the Adelaide set up. Rarely been asked to lead the forward line, and when he has, he’s been completely blanketed.

I don’t have an issue with shorter KPF’s if they’re part of a tall forward group, such as Morris with Hipwood & Daniher.

But if your most talented tall forward is your third tall, your team is going to be in trouble.

And we already have Morris

I think he's a bit better than that, but agree there are concerns and he's not an ideal height. Played pretty well for a stretch there and still kicked 39 goals this season. 10th in the comp in contested marks, and is an accurate kick.

Wouldn't be my choice in an ideal world but there are few young key forwards that are realistically attainable given our draft situation in 2025 and he will be a free agent next offseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back