AFLW 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Tix go on sale tomorrow. Prices increased from $10 to $15 for tickets.
AFL: We would love the AFLW to have bigger crowds before we can grow the competition format to an acceptable level for all our wonderful female athletes.

AFL also: Let's increase the ticket prices by 50% so it's more expensive for spectators to attend matches and more money coming into our fat wallets at the end of the year.

Sorry but the AFL are such greedy sh*tholes especially when they are trying to grow AFLW, it's not even funny :rolleyes:

Watch attendances suffer (given some of the timeslots also) and AFLW can't expand past 11/12 rounds for the foreseeable future as a result of the incompetence of AFLHQ.

AFL also: Let's increase the ticket prices by 50% so it's more expensive for spectators to attend matches and more money coming into our fat wallets at the end of the year.

Sorry but the AFL are such greedy sh*tholes especially when they are trying to grow AFLW, it's not even funny
Dunno bout that. Last season the AFL let clubs take every cent from AFLW matchday revenue to incentivise them to put more energy into promoting their individual home games.

My guess is they've upped it a little bit to further incentivise the clubs. $15 for adults (18+) and free for kids is hardly greedy anyway... think it compares pretty well to other sports.

For example: Brisbane Heat WBBL tickets are $5 for kids (aged 5-15) and $10 for adults (16+). They'll draw at best 1/3 of the Lions' average crowd.

Dunno bout that. Last season the AFL let clubs take every cent from AFLW matchday revenue to incentivise them to put more energy into promoting their individual home games.

My guess is they've upped it a little bit to further incentivise the clubs. $15 for adults (18+) and free for kids is hardly greedy anyway... think it compares pretty well to other sports.

For example: Brisbane Heat WBBL tickets are $5 for kids (aged 5-15) and $10 for adults (16+). They'll draw at best 1/3 of the Lions' average crowd.
Hopefully you're right and all the revenue does go back to the clubs still, but it's a slippery pole to go down with increasing ticket prices even if the prices are still reasonable (as of 2024) cause the AFL can't control themselves and love to keep pushing the money button.

Other issue I have is the match timeslots especially with games here in South Australia. AFL would love more spectators to attend to help boost ratings and then this can "increase the AFLW fixture and professionalism of female athletes" but only 2 matches are played in afternoon-friendly timeslots (not counting twilight) over here for families to attend and don't get me started of the Tuesday / Wednesday night matches.

The AFL has so much potential in growing the AFLW competition and brand for female athletes, yet they treat it like it's an U14s suburban competition right now.

Port Adelaide didn't really get to use their new lights last season, with 4-4.30pm games in October ending in daylight, so I wouldn't be surprised if they requested more night games.

I did last year's attendance breakdown earlier in the thread. These are the timeslots that get above average crowds:
  • Friday 6.45pm onwards
  • Saturday after 2.30pm
  • Sunday starts from 2.05pm to 3.05pm
Early afternoons not so great for families because it can be a bit of a rush coming from other things they've got going on in the morning (such as playing sport). Saturday twilight and night games are much easier for most people.

There will still be plenty of freebies to go round for those who want to attend matches. Some AFL clubs give an AFLW membership free to some membership categories.

Last edited:
AFL: We would love the AFLW to have bigger crowds before we can grow the competition format to an acceptable level for all our wonderful female athletes.

Sorry but the AFL are such greedy sh*tholes especially when they are trying to grow AFLW, it's not even funny :rolleyes:

Watch attendances suffer (given some of the timeslots also) and AFLW can't expand past 11/12 rounds for the foreseeable future as a result of the incompetence of AFLHQ.
Are you a journalist? Only a journo would be able to twist a minimal price increase of $5 into a negative.
Hell, $5 doesn't even cover a coffee these days

Some trivia. By my calculations, I think Sunday 3.05pm of Round 2 are the 499th and 500th games of AFLW: North Melbourne vs Geelong at Arden Street Oval, and St Kilda v Sydney at RSEA Park.

How one would go about distinguishing which is the insiginificant game 499 and which is the highly momentous game 500, scientific opinion is divided.

Some trivia. By my calculations, I think Sunday 3.05pm of Round 2 are the 499th and 500th games of AFLW: North Melbourne vs Geelong at Arden Street Oval, and St Kilda v Sydney at RSEA Park.

How one would go about distinguishing which is the insiginificant game 499 and which is the highly momentous game 500, scientific opinion is divided.
Their start times might both be 3:05 but they're more than likely not going to start at the exact same moment. One of them is probably going to start a few seconds later than the other so the later game would be the 500th in my book.

Would be a breath of fresh air into the rhythm of the year like the NRL SOO is.

I think it’d be a great way to keep fans linked into the players and another way for players to enjoy their sport.
Might not be their fittest or strongest but playing against players they rate, they’d lift for that you’d think.
Commentators would be talking up players and matchups too. Give more insight get into individuals.

Get it done Teen Wolf !!
Yeah but the NRLW season is now four weeks in and is pretty much invisible buried in the NRL season. It gets little attention. The SoO game interest has not translated to interest in the NRLW.

Yeah but the NRLW season is now four weeks in and is pretty much invisible buried in the NRL season. It gets little attention. The SoO game interest has not translated to interest in the NRLW.
Yeah, but they have a high bar to measure it against.

We don’t.
I think it’s an opportunity.

Been confirmed that next week's Bulldogs-Hawthorn men's final will be played on Friday night.

Precedence would suggest the 5.05pm Friday AFLW game between WB and PA will be moved to the MCG as a curtain-raiser...

I guess the other legit option would be to play the AFLW game on Thursday, resulting in a TV-doubleheader for Port Adelaide. Leaving it where and when it is currently would be pretty crazy, so I wouldn't rule that out either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R2 Dogs-Port move to the MCG now official. It'll start earlier at 4.30pm so probably won't get much of an artificial attendance bump unlike the Melb-NM game in 2022. Also unlike that Dees match, however, is the accommodation this time around by the AFL for people who had already bought tickets to the AFLW match.

A peculiarity from Erin Phillips' career: never played in the prison bars, and never played on the 'G. Retired two games too early to cross off those semi-significant milestones.

Who does the fixturing for the AFLW? The game at the MCG having a terrible WB team and a weak interstate team. Friday night football in round 1 with WC. Thursday night football this round with the two worst teams. It wasn't hard to determine that WB or WC games aren't going to be great viewing this year.

Who does the fixturing for the AFLW? The game at the MCG having a terrible WB team and a weak interstate team. Friday night football in round 1 with WC. Thursday night football this round with the two worst teams. It wasn't hard to determine that WB or WC games aren't going to be great viewing this year.
West coast have put up a decent fight.
The dogs has question marks though.
I was at a hawks function last night and the question was raised why the afl would fixture them in prime time. The players/officials in attendance pretty much laughed and said "yeah, it is what it is"

West coast have put up a decent fight.
The dogs has question marks though.
I was at a hawks function last night and the question was raised why the afl would fixture them in prime time. The players/officials in attendance pretty much laughed and said "yeah, it is what it is"
It wouldn't have been hard to determine beforehand that WB would clearly be the worst team in the league. WC probably the 2nd worst. Should be hiding the teams in the schedule.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back