AFLW 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn to play a game in Cairns for three more seasons.

This year will see them host Melbourne up there in a Thursday Night game

Would be happy for Cairns to replace the Tasmania deal long term across the club. Tassie has been great for the Hawks, but think they can do the same in Cairns (and maybe tap into some of the PNG/Pacific raw talents too).

Well that's a trash fixture for the hawks....
Imagine scrapping hawks vs essendon in round 1 when both teams were trying to make it BIGGER.... oh, that's probably why they did it, can have the women's game succeed...

Teams with 6 home games:
Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon (1 in NT), North Melb. (2 in Tas), Port Adelaide, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney (1 in Coffs) and West Coast.

Just the 5 for Fremantle is wack. St Kilda get to play them at home purely because of the compressed fixture.

Collingwood manage to evade Casey Fields yet again. And it can no longer be said it's compensation for always having to play Carlton at Ikon Park.

Sydney Port West Coast and Brisbane all hosting the derbies, so they haven't done those teams any favours regarding travel.

The AFL obviously didn't like North crashing the party last season as they play all other finalists from last season and the big three, Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne away.

In fact, the "Big Four" all play each other again this season:
  • ADELAIDE have Melbourne and North Melbourne at Home. Brisbane Away.
  • BRISBANE have North Melbourne and Adelaide at Home. Melbourne Away.
  • MELBOURNE have Brisbane and North Melbourne at Home. Adelaide Away.
  • NORTH MELBOURNE play none of them at home and play all of them away.

North will have played Melbourne every year during the regular season, yet none of them have been home games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday 5pm blockbuster between 18th and 15th. And an 11am game in Perth, which is on at the same time as Melbourne v Brisbane. Gotta build those ones up!

WCE v Frem, BL v GC and PA v Adel all getting their usual undeserved hype, too.

But no Melbourne v Bulldogs game fixtured this year, which means no more pretension about it being a special match. Likewise good riddance to the game on the morning of the men's grand final--was only ever going to be worth it if Ch7 aired it on the main channel.

Afl given us all the finalists from last year
And we miss out on the trash teams eagles, freo, pies, hawks, gws
Only semi decent team we miss is saints who were 9th
we play 6 of the top 8 having never made a finals series yet Sydney only play 4 top 8 after making the finals, the highest being the Lions
3rd year running Saints play away round 1, having to play interstate in all of those

2023 top 8 saints play
1: Adelaide - rnd 6
2: Melbourne - rnd 7b
3: Kangaroos
4: Lions - rnd 10
5: Gold Coast - rnd 1
6: Cats
7: Essendon - rnd 3
8: Sydney - rnd 2

sure as **** tell who the AFL wants doing well

we play 6 of the top 8 having never made a finals series yet Sydney only play 4 top 8 after making the finals, the highest being the Lions
3rd year running Saints play away round 1, having to play interstate in all of those

2023 top 8 saints play
1: Adelaide - rnd 6
2: Melbourne - rnd 7b
3: Kangaroos
4: Lions - rnd 10
5: Gold Coast - rnd 1
6: Cats
7: Essendon - rnd 3
8: Sydney - rnd 2

sure as **** tell who the AFL wants doing well
Sydney play 3 of the 4 prelim finalists and both grand finalists. For St Kilda it's only 2 and 1. In a notoriously top-heavy competition, that matters.

The burden of having to play teams like the Swans, Suns and Bombers is really not a burden at all for any team deserving of finals.

8 wins easy in the Saints' fixture if they're any good, remembering they squandered a dream run from the AFL last year by losing to Port Adelaide at home.

Sydney play 3 of the 4 prelim finalists and both grand finalists. For St Kilda it's only 2 and 1. In a notoriously top-heavy competition, that matters.

The burden of having to play teams like the Swans, Suns and Bombers is really not a burden at all for any team deserving of finals.

8 wins easy in the Saints' fixture if they're any good, remembering they squandered a dream run from the AFL last year by losing to Port Adelaide at home.
I just compared the top 8 on the AFL site, although I missed their game vs the Kangas.

8 easy wins huh? I hope your right, not sure anyone would have that confidence, and if we did, would be mighty effort indeed

The best so far is 6 wins last year then 3 the year before, 16 wins over 6 years.
and that dream run, bore off of 10 wins in 5 years

I just compared the top 8 on the AFL site, although I missed their game vs the Kangas.

8 easy wins huh? I hope your right, not sure anyone would have that confidence, and if we did, would be mighty effort indeed

The best so far is 6 wins last year then 3 the year before, 16 wins over 6 years.
and that dream run, bore off of 10 wins in 5 years
I had them going 7-3 last year, which a) was also very much against the grain of public opinion, and b) would've been spot on if not for the aforementioned loss to a weaker Port. Don't see any fixture-related reasons for them to miss finals this year either.

I think "Week" 10 will be this...

Thursday Night: Port Adelaide v GWS Giants

Friday Night: Geelong v Adelaide

Saturday 1pm: St Kilda v Brisbane
Saturday 3pm: Sydney v West Coast
Saturday 5pm: North Melb. v Gold Coast
Saturday Night: Carlton v Essendon

Sunday 1pm: Richmond v Hawthorn
Sunday 3pm: Melbourne v Collingwood
Sunday 5pm: Fremantle v W. Bulldogs

...based on days breaks, grounds with lights, history of broadcaster preferences, and structure of other rounds this year.

Has anyone got the list of missing matchups yet?
Never played:
Adelaide v Hawthorn
Adelaide v Sydney (never scheduled H&A but did meet in last year's SF)
Essendon v GWS
Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Melbourne v Port Adelaide
Melbourne v Sydney

Not played in last three seasons (i.e., last played in 2022A):
Adelaide v Carlton
Fremantle v Gold Coast
Geelong v GWS
North Melbourne v West Coast (Round 10 in 2022A the only time these clubs have met in 6 seasons in the league together)
Richmond v Western Bulldogs
St. Kilda v West Coast

---

These are just the really egregious recent scheduling droughts (and I may have missed some). When certain match-ups are played practically every season, plenty of other farcical imbalances just look even more ridiculous (e.g., Collingwood v GWS not scheduled again in 2024 - two foundation AFLW clubs who've played only once in the 2020s to date).

My only gripe from a Suns perspective the Wednesday twilight game vs Hawthorn in Frankston. It is going to be very hard to get to for any average joe that works 9-5 especially with the game being in Frankston.

Here are some games that could line up interestingly with men's finals, i.e. potential to move venue and be played as a double-header:

AFLW Week 2
Friday 5.05pm AEST, Mission Whitten Oval
W. Bulldogs v Port Adelaide

While you wouldn't expect the Dogs to be hosting a final, they could find themselves as the away team at the G on this same Friday night against Carlton or Collingwood.

AFLW Week 2
Saturday 11.05am AEST, Casey Fields
Melbourne v Brisbane

Without getting carried away by today's result, the Dees might end up with a home MCG final at 3.20pm against GWS or Fremantle. In which case, move this game there, and push it back to a midday start.

AFLW Week 2
Saturday 1.05pm AEST, Victoria Park
Collingwood v Hawthorn

Similar scenario. Against another Vic team, the Pies would probably play Friday night. Might find themselves in the Saturday twilight timeslot hosting the Giants or Dockers though.

AFLW Week 3
Saturday 2.35pm AEST, Ikon Park
Carlton v Geelong

Very plausible these teams meet in a semi-final on the same weekend, potentially that day, at the MCG. It would be a 7pm game though, so a double-header wouldn't just mean a venue shift but a time swap as well.

AFLW Week 3
Saturday 4.35pm AEST, Alberton Oval
Port Adelaide v Fremantle

Similar scenario. If Port are hosting a semi-final later that day, I'd be surprised if this match wasn't moved to Adelaide Oval.

My only gripe from a Suns perspective the Wednesday twilight game vs Hawthorn in Frankston. It is going to be very hard to get to for any average joe that works 9-5 especially with the game being in Frankston.
The average Suns supporter will be working at 12pm on a Friday when their AFLW team plays Collingwood.

But no gripe with that? No wonder Victorians are viewed as self-centred!

The average Suns supporter will be working at 12pm on a Friday when their AFLW team plays Collingwood.

But no gripe with that? No wonder Victorians are viewed as self-centred!
Why aren't you acknolwedging my previous statement regarding 5:15pm scheduling?

For Suns Vic supporters who would be the main suns supporters attending, Friday 12pm is a public holiday for us. The Wednesday night through isn't...

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back