Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Going through the noms and filtering out all the ones that have none and having a look at what's left

Absurde - Not quite going as well as last year but can run top 10 again
Adelaide River - Going shit. Gelded since but that seems desperate
Arrest - Has turned into a bog average horse
Birdman - Dreadful last start
Changingoftheguard - Fair first up. Need to see over 2400m+
Circle Of Fire - Decent stayer but unders and likely to get a bit too much weight
Coco Sun - SA form not typically good enough
Delius - Really good French 3yo. Too good to come out though especially being a Coolmore horse
Eliyass - Sydney Metrop horse with class and distance being big doubts for me
Fawkner Park - Q22 win a big outlier on performance so would want to see him back that up
Future History - Didn't think he was good enough last year so wont be with him this year
Grosvenor Square - Seems unlikely to come
Harbour Wind - Seems unlikely to come
Hipop De Loire - Would have it above all the other Ebor runners
Illinois - Too good to come
Jan Brueghel - Surely too good to come as well
Kinesiology - Second tier 3yo. First across the line in the Vinnie Roe beating Birdman by 10L+
Land Legend - Decent chance has been Waller'd
Magical Zoe - Probably my second choice of the Ebor runners so hard to get too enthused
Middle Earth - Dreadful last start. Been gelded seems a bit desperate again
Place Du Carrousel - One of my top picks for the Caulfield Cup so has to be up there somewhat in the rankings
Point King - MV Cup horse
Point Lonsdale - Going shit and failed the vets last year
Poptronic - Another one that looks a Metrop horse if it comes back well
Que Tempesta - Good return in the Heatherlie. Italian form is generally rubbish but its here and running well at least
Relentless Voyager - Third pick of the Ebor runners so not keen at the moment
Riff Rocket - Seems incredibly unlikely to be on a Cup prep
Royal Supremecy - Similar second rate 3yo to The Euphrates and Kinesiology
Saint George - Great Euro form. Great return. One of the top seeds
Sayedaty Sadaty - Not a bad 3yo taking on the better Euro 3yos but run in the Gordon Stakes didnt look like a 2 mile horse.
Sea King - 4th pick of the Ebor runners and thus has little to no chance for me
The Equator - Least impressive of the 3yos in the mix
The Euphrates - Crossed the line with Kinesiology a couple back so similar level. They're about a Valiant King level of 3yo
Vauban - Terrible odds for a horse who we have a decent idea of his level out here.
Warp Speed - Second rate Japanese stayer who is very similar levels to a horse like Breakup last year
Without a Fight - Couldn't possibly entertain off the prep
Zardozi - Dont think it will even end up here but 4yo mares returning not a type that interests me

Berkshire Breeze into the same price as Middle Earth after winning the spud stayers final…
Looks the standard winter form that we know is not good enough. Happens every year.

Have we definitely ruled out Isle of Jura coming? Is there any mention of it in the news? Owner said he was keen pre-Hardwicke but has drifted sharply on Betfair. Full brother to mighty Cascadian!

edit: ah yes can see now it has been shelved.

Last edited:

Aidan O’Brien suggests Tower Of London and Grosvenor Square could both be Melbourne Cup-bound.

The Curragh Cup was won by Vintage Crop (1993), Rekindling (2017) and Twilight Payment (2020) the same year as their Melbourne Cup victories. Vintage Crop (1995) and Red Cadeaux (2011) won and then placed down under.

Update

SEVENNA'S KNIGHT pretty much confirmed not coming after being lapped last start.

Ozzie Kheir supposedly circling BIRDMAN as a potential purchase to bring out for the Cup. NH 3yo on the rise a proven type out here and he looked reasonable closing for 3rd in the Queens Vase behind Illinois who will be one of the favourites heading to the Leger.

Would be leaving VAUBAN at home if he was mine after he was shown up in the Curragh Cup. Legit 50s on the day type.

MIDDLE EARTH runs in the King George this weekend against the likes of Auguste Rodin and Rebels Romance. Wont be winning but if he was strong through the line in 4th or 5th you would be happy.

Update

SEVENNA'S KNIGHT pretty much confirmed not coming after being lapped last start.

Ozzie Kheir supposedly circling BIRDMAN as a potential purchase to bring out for the Cup. NH 3yo on the rise a proven type out here and he looked reasonable closing for 3rd in the Queens Vase behind Illinois who will be one of the favourites heading to the Leger.

Would be leaving VAUBAN at home if he was mine after he was shown up in the Curragh Cup. Legit 50s on the day type.

MIDDLE EARTH runs in the King George this weekend against the likes of Auguste Rodin and Rebels Romance. Wont be winning but if he was strong through the line in 4th or 5th you would be happy.
Birdman interests me a bit as still a reasonable price on Betfair.

This article mentions Leopardstown on the way to the Irish Leger.

This profile WAS good, it's getting punished by the handicapper more recently though.

Birdman interests me a bit as still a reasonable price on Betfair.

This article mentions Leopardstown on the way to the Irish Leger.

This profile WAS good, it's getting punished by the handicapper more recently though.

It was in the bin a few years ago but normalised now. Desert Hero was given 51.5 last year and Tower of London 50.5 both much better rated than Birdman currently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of months ago Cam Luke declared it at least the Caulfield Cup winner.

To be fair it was the best credentialed horse in the market. A horse going around single figures in a King George should be very short in a CC. I just cannot back anything coming off a 90 length loss at its last start

Sayedaty Sedaty Going around tonight in the Gordon Stakes is a big watch. Been talked up more as a Caulfield Cup horse but have to assume will run in both regardless

Jan Brueghal for Aiden also a watch in the race as will likely be amongst the nominations.

Just a field of 5 so not going to be a super guide and would want to be running top 2 I think

Warp Speed looks extremely likely to be coming from Japan. Very similar horse to Breakup. Will run in both Cups if he comes but expect will be too slow to feature at Caulfield

Sayedaty Sedaty Going around tonight in the Gordon Stakes is a big watch. Been talked up more as a Caulfield Cup horse but have to assume will run in both regardless.

Just a field of 5 so not going to be a super guide and would want to be running top 2 I think

Went OK.

How do you get held up in a 4 horse race 😂

Last edited:
I thought a bit the opposite. Travelled up to them on the bridle but was just outstayed the last furlong after he got crowded

Would have liked to have seen a better run than that though. Looks about Valiant King sort of levels at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back