Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

OCTOBER RANKINGS

1. SAINT GEORGE - The drop off for him seems ridiculous to me. An unlucky loss by 2L and everyone wants to be on him. An average 0.4L loss in the exact same sort of race and he is out the gate. Won't show near his best until he gets to the 2500-3200m range and expect he will be back to the top of the markets after the Bart Cummings.

2. WARP SPEED - Slides up a spot due to Place Du Carrousel shitting the bed.

3. JAN BRUEGHEL - Class Euro 3yo. I do have doubts on his tactical speed for Australian racing and is weighted up to his best for a horse with his record has to go in near the top. Won't be a betting prospect for me though unless we are getting in the $9-10 range on the day.

4. WARMONGER - D Day coming up in the Turnbull.

5. ABSURDE - Goes up a spot thanks to other flops.

6. PLACE DU CARROUSEL - Poor run first up but the track was complete shit so can forgive that run if she bounces back next time. Has to drop down the order though if she doesn't have the WFA class to off set the distance query.

7. SAYEDATY SEDATY - If you like Jan then you haver to have this guy in the mix I think. Run was fair behind him in the Gordon Stakes and will meet him 2.5kg better off for that day.

8. VAUBAN - Think he is too short and needs conditions to suit on the day which he probably wont get but needs to slot in here still.

9. COCO SUN - Think she has the upside to possibly elevate her level to what is required up in trip and she is already in the race with a light weight.

10. KINESIOLOGY - Just something outside the box who might have some upside. Fair 3yo form in Europe. Was joint favourite with Birdman in a race that we were watching to see how that horse would go and he was first across the line beating Birdman by 11 lengths but is 4x the price of that runner in markets.

Last edited:
Berkshire Breeze into the same price as Middle Earth after winning the spud stayers final…
Looks the standard winter form that we know is not good enough. Happens every year.

Have we definitely ruled out Isle of Jura coming? Is there any mention of it in the news? Owner said he was keen pre-Hardwicke but has drifted sharply on Betfair. Full brother to mighty Cascadian!

edit: ah yes can see now it has been shelved.

Last edited:

Aidan O’Brien suggests Tower Of London and Grosvenor Square could both be Melbourne Cup-bound.

The Curragh Cup was won by Vintage Crop (1993), Rekindling (2017) and Twilight Payment (2020) the same year as their Melbourne Cup victories. Vintage Crop (1995) and Red Cadeaux (2011) won and then placed down under.

Update

SEVENNA'S KNIGHT pretty much confirmed not coming after being lapped last start.

Ozzie Kheir supposedly circling BIRDMAN as a potential purchase to bring out for the Cup. NH 3yo on the rise a proven type out here and he looked reasonable closing for 3rd in the Queens Vase behind Illinois who will be one of the favourites heading to the Leger.

Would be leaving VAUBAN at home if he was mine after he was shown up in the Curragh Cup. Legit 50s on the day type.

MIDDLE EARTH runs in the King George this weekend against the likes of Auguste Rodin and Rebels Romance. Wont be winning but if he was strong through the line in 4th or 5th you would be happy.

Update

SEVENNA'S KNIGHT pretty much confirmed not coming after being lapped last start.

Ozzie Kheir supposedly circling BIRDMAN as a potential purchase to bring out for the Cup. NH 3yo on the rise a proven type out here and he looked reasonable closing for 3rd in the Queens Vase behind Illinois who will be one of the favourites heading to the Leger.

Would be leaving VAUBAN at home if he was mine after he was shown up in the Curragh Cup. Legit 50s on the day type.

MIDDLE EARTH runs in the King George this weekend against the likes of Auguste Rodin and Rebels Romance. Wont be winning but if he was strong through the line in 4th or 5th you would be happy.
Birdman interests me a bit as still a reasonable price on Betfair.

This article mentions Leopardstown on the way to the Irish Leger.

This profile WAS good, it's getting punished by the handicapper more recently though.

Birdman interests me a bit as still a reasonable price on Betfair.

This article mentions Leopardstown on the way to the Irish Leger.

This profile WAS good, it's getting punished by the handicapper more recently though.

It was in the bin a few years ago but normalised now. Desert Hero was given 51.5 last year and Tower of London 50.5 both much better rated than Birdman currently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of months ago Cam Luke declared it at least the Caulfield Cup winner.

To be fair it was the best credentialed horse in the market. A horse going around single figures in a King George should be very short in a CC. I just cannot back anything coming off a 90 length loss at its last start

Sayedaty Sedaty Going around tonight in the Gordon Stakes is a big watch. Been talked up more as a Caulfield Cup horse but have to assume will run in both regardless

Jan Brueghal for Aiden also a watch in the race as will likely be amongst the nominations.

Just a field of 5 so not going to be a super guide and would want to be running top 2 I think

Warp Speed looks extremely likely to be coming from Japan. Very similar horse to Breakup. Will run in both Cups if he comes but expect will be too slow to feature at Caulfield

Sayedaty Sedaty Going around tonight in the Gordon Stakes is a big watch. Been talked up more as a Caulfield Cup horse but have to assume will run in both regardless.

Just a field of 5 so not going to be a super guide and would want to be running top 2 I think

Went OK.

How do you get held up in a 4 horse race 😂

Last edited:
I thought a bit the opposite. Travelled up to them on the bridle but was just outstayed the last furlong after he got crowded

Would have liked to have seen a better run than that though. Looks about Valiant King sort of levels at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back