Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Going through the noms and filtering out all the ones that have none and having a look at what's left

Absurde - Not quite going as well as last year but can run top 10 again
Adelaide River - Going shit. Gelded since but that seems desperate
Arrest - Has turned into a bog average horse
Birdman - Dreadful last start
Changingoftheguard - Fair first up. Need to see over 2400m+
Circle Of Fire - Decent stayer but unders and likely to get a bit too much weight
Coco Sun - SA form not typically good enough
Delius - Really good French 3yo. Too good to come out though especially being a Coolmore horse
Eliyass - Sydney Metrop horse with class and distance being big doubts for me
Fawkner Park - Q22 win a big outlier on performance so would want to see him back that up
Future History - Didn't think he was good enough last year so wont be with him this year
Grosvenor Square - Seems unlikely to come
Harbour Wind - Seems unlikely to come
Hipop De Loire - Would have it above all the other Ebor runners
Illinois - Too good to come
Jan Brueghel - Surely too good to come as well
Kinesiology - Second tier 3yo. First across the line in the Vinnie Roe beating Birdman by 10L+
Land Legend - Decent chance has been Waller'd
Magical Zoe - Probably my second choice of the Ebor runners so hard to get too enthused
Middle Earth - Dreadful last start. Been gelded seems a bit desperate again
Place Du Carrousel - One of my top picks for the Caulfield Cup so has to be up there somewhat in the rankings
Point King - MV Cup horse
Point Lonsdale - Going shit and failed the vets last year
Poptronic - Another one that looks a Metrop horse if it comes back well
Que Tempesta - Good return in the Heatherlie. Italian form is generally rubbish but its here and running well at least
Relentless Voyager - Third pick of the Ebor runners so not keen at the moment
Riff Rocket - Seems incredibly unlikely to be on a Cup prep
Royal Supremecy - Similar second rate 3yo to The Euphrates and Kinesiology
Saint George - Great Euro form. Great return. One of the top seeds
Sayedaty Sadaty - Not a bad 3yo taking on the better Euro 3yos but run in the Gordon Stakes didnt look like a 2 mile horse.
Sea King - 4th pick of the Ebor runners and thus has little to no chance for me
The Equator - Least impressive of the 3yos in the mix
The Euphrates - Crossed the line with Kinesiology a couple back so similar level. They're about a Valiant King level of 3yo
Vauban - Terrible odds for a horse who we have a decent idea of his level out here.
Warp Speed - Second rate Japanese stayer who is very similar levels to a horse like Breakup last year
Without a Fight - Couldn't possibly entertain off the prep
Zardozi - Dont think it will even end up here but 4yo mares returning not a type that interests me

Grosvenor Square backing up his good run behind Tower of London with a 20 length win in the Irish St Leger Trial
Doubt it’ll come after that , will penalised massive at the weights

For me I’m still dead keen on Harbour Wind if he’s sent down , I think he will be as Weld wants one last crack at the Melbourne Cup
And no doubt HW is good enough

BIRDMAN going around in the Vinnie Roe Stakes tonight as an odds on favourite. Would want to be winning this I think to be a legitimate Cup horse

Harbour Wind, Point King and Interpretation all previous winners of this race
Should be called the Media Puzzle Stakes
Bit short tonight

What's going on with Los Angeles?
Solid win last night in the G2 at York
Irish St Leger or CC/MC double

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't seem like a betting proposition to me given they are definitely going to nominate but seems more unlikely than likely to come. One of those that we're always being told will be a better Cup horse next year

Plus Weld, can’t back any of his until on the plane.

VAUBAN wins the Lonsdale Cup by a lip after travelling like he was going to win by 3 in the home straight.

Spanish Mission and Il Paradiso both placed in the race before coming out here recently

Looking at the markets , gee I’d have thought Jan Brueghel would’ve been shorter than 80-1

Will put a few shekels on , would get in with a nice light weight too

Couple of interesting Maher runners from a Melbourne Cup point of view accepted in the Heatherlie.

Saint George - import with form around Tower of London last time he was seen. Jamie Kah booked.

Future History - $101 some places seems big, was on an upward spiral this time last year which saw him start $18 in the Cup. Forget the winter where he isn't suited on wet. Another year with Maher aiming him up is a positive.

Loft is also there but suggest he is in the chair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing 2024 G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back