No Oppo Supporters 2024 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I just had a flick through the crowd sizes at the other games. Not great. Only one other game drew more than 5,000 and that was the Showdown. But I think last year’s Showdown, also in round 1, drew around 10,000 so barely over 5,000 is disappointing.

A couple of games drew between 3 and 4 thousand, while fewer than 3,000 turned up to watch the Suns St Kilda game. If they can’t get biggish crowds in for round one, while footy fever from the AFLM is still high and we should be looking to fill the void, it doesn’t look promising for the rest of the season.

If our women perform ok (and maybe even if they don’t), we could well land up with the five biggest home crowds of the H&A. (It’s hard to know how the people of Coffs will turnout.)

As an aside, I saw Andrew Dillon at NSO on Friday night. He was mingling with the people pushing their way along the walkway between the stands and the pitch at halftime.
Did you spot on him and tell him he should be looking after his marque club not screwing it over at every turn?

I reckon the club has done a good job launching and promoting our team and our crowds are very enthusiastic but I wonder what the next step is to grow crowds further. The overall standard has improved significantly year on year, Gowans is working on getting us to play an exciting brand, the men are supporting it, our choice of grounds works well to create atmosphere. There were a fair few kids there on Friday but I wonder if night games are that good an idea. In a year when we broke all records maybe I expected a bit more.
Despite the criticism of a few, the club was right to hold off entering the comp and making sure they did things right.

Fox footy copping fair criticism for their blatant misogyny during their AFLW call today.

1) Constantly referring to the upcoming Prelim Final when they should be calling the game
2) Post Game AFLW talk...just didn't exist. Went straight into PF talk.

And worst yet the callers probs didn't even think about it at the time that they'd done anything disrespectful

The 'condensed' AFLW experiment by AFL House is a disaster and I hope they've learned their lesson.
It has not worked at all. I don't know how they thought it was a good idea. They just wanted to get 11 games in without playing 11 "rounds".

Can't believe the Bulldogs haven't scored a goal the past 2 games. How did we lose to them??

It has not worked at all. I don't know how they thought it was a good idea. They just wanted to get 11 games in without playing 11 "rounds".

Can't believe the Bulldogs haven't scored a goal the past 2 games. How did we lose to them??
Article about the failure of the condensed fixture.

Can you summarise?
  • Players unable to train properly between games
  • Heightened risk of injury,
  • Concussion protocols,
  • Fatigue
  • Coaches working around the clock to review, edit vision and prepare
  • A low football department cap forcing clubs to appoint part-time assistant coaches who need time off their day jobs
  • Fans forced to follow a schedule with all the rhythm of an uncle on the dance floor at far-flung, second-tier venues
  • A decline in the standard of umpiring after the men’s season as inexperienced officials adjudicate matches.

Great article about female athletes and fertility: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-10-21/gws-chloe-dalton-ivf-fertility-aflw/104496432.

I think it's really important that female athletes get education around this issue and bring it out from behind closed doors. It's so much easier for male athletes who don't carry babies to plan families with much less disruption to their athletic careers. That said I think it's worth offering male athletes education around options and things to consider when they're trying to plan families too.

There is a dimension that remains tricky for female athletes though, especially at this point in time. It would be desirable for both club and athlete if players could discuss their family planning with their club-employer. However, it is really understandable that players would be hesitant to do so if they think it might affect their career which is a relatable concern.
I think the best way to address this is via collective bargaining agreements with the AFLPA so that both players and clubs can get better protection. For example, there could be provisions for players choosing to take extended parental leave to be replaced on the list (as with the long term injury list) if their season will be effectively ended and for their salary to be outside the salary cap. This makes the prospect of players taking extended leave to have children less worrisome to the club. At the same time hopefully there could be measures to improve the job security of the players who are worried about whether they will be able to return to their career after having children. Ultimately, in a high performance industry it will come down to performance, but there may be some measures that can give a greater degree of comfort and security to players wanting to combine their careers with having a family.

• Players unable to train properly between games
  • Heightened risk of injury,
  • Concussion protocols,
  • Fatigue
  • Coaches working around the clock to review, edit vision and prepare
  • A low football department cap forcing clubs to appoint part-time assistant coaches who need time off their day jobs
  • Fans forced to follow a schedule with all the rhythm of an uncle on the dance floor at far-flung, second-tier venues
  • A decline in the standard of umpiring after the men’s season as inexperienced officials adjudicate matches.
This year's schedule has been a disaster and its impacting the season heavily. AFL need to pull their head out of their arses and get serious about a determined AFLW season and top fracking around.

Hearing some whispers that Charlie Rowbottom could be available. Would be near on impossible to do with the cap constraints but could be something to look at as she would be the type of midfielder we need

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back