List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

A view on who we should be trying to get this trade period, with some already being mentioned in this thread. I would be happy if we re-signed those we have, and get a good ruck backup.

The Giants don't manage to lure too many players to Sydney's west from rival AFLclubs, but they have managed to get the best out of some bargain buys over the years.

Jesus… that is an ordinary list.

A view on who we should be trying to get this trade period, with some already being mentioned in this thread. I would be happy if we re-signed those we have, and get a good ruck backup.

The Giants don't manage to lure too many players to Sydney's west from rival AFLclubs, but they have managed to get the best out of some bargain buys over the years.

Wow. Surprise surprise. A flaming pile of dogshit is what we should go after.

Seems there maybe some interest in Wade this trade period. Can’t blame him if he leaves as we are yet to debut him.

According to AFL.com.au's Cal Twomey, clubs are keeping tabs on Derksen's situation in New South Wales and could be prepared to move for the swingman.

We really don't want to lose all of Keeffe, Haynes & Derksen in the single off-season. The first two are timed-out, so we really want to keep Derksen (IMHO) as a young and rising player. We might still get Elliott Himmelberg as a replacement for Keeffe, but I like how Derksen is developing.

We really don't want to lose all of Keeffe, Haynes & Derksen in the single off-season. The first two are timed-out, so we really want to keep Derksen (IMHO) as a young and rising player. We might still get Elliott Himmelberg as a replacement for Keeffe, but I like how Derksen is developing.
Yeah but a club like North will guarantee him more game time and much better money.

Apparently, Port Adelaide are the front runners for Perryman, not Hawthorn.

Harry Perryman​

On Hawthorn’s interest in the Giant.

Dillon:
“This surprised me. Explain what Hawthorn did…”

Rucci: “They sent a delegation of Sam Mitchell, Jarryd Roughead and a third person. They went to Sydney last week.”

Dillon: “So you’d think they would be the frontrunners, but no, it’s Port Adelaide apparently.”

Rucci: “Port must have a serious offer on the table.

“We know Port’s got a pretty weak draft hand. They’re going to have put something on the table.

“Do they already have a plan to move some players out? They’re going to have to put a really serious name on the table if they want draft picks or a trade.”

On Port actually being the frontrunners and a reported $800,000 offer.

Bickley: “He’s not going to be the difference between winning a flag and not winning a flag.

“I don’t think he’s going to be a star player. He continues to add depth and be a solid player.

“I haven’t seen enough of Perryman to have an absolute view of where he sits, but he’s probably 12 to 22 in your team, he’s not 1 to 12 in Port Adelaide’s team.

“If it was my money I wouldn’t be spending that much.

“I don’t think that’s going to be the make or break decision for Port Adelaide.”

Yep, just flabbergasted by the reported numbers being thrown at Pez. As per the article, he's a 12-22 player, not 1-12, so $800k seems an inordinate amount (even given the rule of thumb that you need to add $$ to prise a guy from another club).

We still have Joe Fonti developing as a back, plus Cumming & Fahey who all play off that half back line, so it's really not right for us to try to match such an inordinate amount. I know they are different roles ... but still, can Fonti play that role?

Or can we repurpose Connor Idun into Pez's role? His lockdown capability and distribution of the ball seems to be getting better. His disposal is actually better than Pez's, but probably needs to up his contest work in defence a touch to match what Pez brings. But would that work with the balance we have?

Or do we go out and get a medium lockdown defender like that article postulated?

I don't really want to lose a NSW lad, an academy grad; but we cannot afford to pay him an exorbitant wage.

Yep, just flabbergasted by the reported numbers being thrown at Pez. As per the article, he's a 12-22 player, not 1-12, so $800k seems an inordinate amount (even given the rule of thumb that you need to add $$ to prise a guy from another club).

We still have Joe Fonti developing as a back, plus Cumming & Fahey who all play off that half back line, so it's really not right for us to try to match such an inordinate amount. I know they are different roles ... but still, can Fonti play that role?

Or can we repurpose Connor Idun into Pez's role? His lockdown capability and distribution of the ball seems to be getting better. His disposal is actually better than Pez's, but probably needs to up his contest work in defence a touch to match what Pez brings. But would that work with the balance we have?

Or do we go out and get a medium lockdown defender like that article postulated?

I don't really want to lose a NSW lad, an academy grad; but we cannot afford to pay him an exorbitant wage.
We can't and won't match.
Just a matter of Perryman will take the $650k we can off him

I wouldn’t be paying him more than 650. What I’ve seen of Fonti… lookout. He really competes on the defensive end as well. He is electric in attack.
I must admit I've been distracted by other things this season and haven't watched much of the VFL. Do you think Fonti brings the right balance of defence & counterattack that could take over the role that Pez fills?

Perryman for me is more a luxury than a necessity. He has saved us a few times with his desperate acts in defence but he’s not irreplaceable.

I think in another team he would play more midfield which he will never play for us.

For 1st round compo I’m saying “Thanks and all the best”. We need to inject some more high end talent before Tassie comes in.

I’d probably move one or more others on as well if we can get some currency this year and next.

We will have some of our real high end fall off the cliff in the next 18 months and need to start replacing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit I've been distracted by other things this season and haven't watched much of the VFL. Do you think Fonti brings the right balance of defence & counterattack that could take over the role that Pez fills?
He’s a go forward immediately attacker… like Ash but quicker. He competes hard in defence. Just doesn’t have as solid a body as Perryman. Makes multiple efforts… looks very competitive. What I also like is he doesn’t panic when about to be tackled… looks for ways out.

He’s a go forward immediately attacker… like Ash but quicker. He competes hard in defence. Just doesn’t have as solid a body as Perryman. Makes multiple efforts… looks very competitive. What I also like is he doesn’t panic when about to be tackled… looks for ways out.
Ran a 2.88 20m and second fastest in agility. Has loads of speed and uses it.

Sounds promising especially as he has only played a couple of games due to injury. Young ruck man looks promising also.
Thanks for the update.

If we're offering Perryman $650k (hypothetically) I'd hope it was with the view of playing him more through the midfield than backline
You would think that unlikely given how he's been used over the last 1.5 seasons.

We desperately need some strong young mids to come in and be able to win clearances.

Who are you liking at this point in time? Who do you think Adrian Caruso might like (if that's different in your view)?

You would think that unlikely given how he's been used over the last 1.5 seasons.

We desperately need some strong young mids to come in and be able to win clearances.

Who are you liking at this point in time? Who do you think Adrian Caruso might like (if that's different in your view)?
How did we go to having not enough inside mids?
AFL needs a better system of free agency.
Clubs overpay to get talent in for free.
That needs to change in my view,
Free agency should in my view mean a player is free to leave, but not free for the team signing them.

How did we go to having not enough inside mids?
Well, I always thought that we lost one inside midfielder too many in the year that Taranto & Hopper departed. We did draft Harry Rowston, but he doesn't seem to have come on this year. Toby McMullin was drafted the same year, but was more of a forward-mid. Last year we drafted Gothard and Leake, neither really an inside mid.

I'd parade around the CBD naked if we got Jagga Smith, but that remains unlikely even if we maintain our spot in 10th.

Xavier Lindsay, Murphy Reid and Christian Moraes are probably the 3 I'd be liking in our current range to add to our midfield mix long term, all have differences but the main things they have in common; cleanliness at ground level, composure, two-way running, and all 3 fit the Caruso drafting style as high upside picks with proven form. I've had Lindsay and Reid in my top 10 since last year so pretty happy to see their recent form match that ranking

Tom Gross is the main first-round midfielder I think matches a Caruso pick though, athletically superb, strong contested ball winner but at current has pretty underwhelming disposal. I see flashes of a young Toby Greene in him though so I'd be onboard, can act as that undersized target up forward that takes freaky marks, can change a game through a short midfield spurt, can be shaky in front of the sticks

Hard thing for us this year will be managing the Smith bid I reckon, ideally we'd want two or three picks prior (more likely two going on our recent form) but he could well be bid on in the 20's, particularly if Dodson does elect to pursue Basketball

I'd say the drop off from last year's Ward to this year and Cog's injuries have been the biggest factor in the midfield decline. A Taranto on our list this year would be worth every cent he is getting at Richmond. Then if we go to the draft to get an inside mid they realistically are 2 years away from having a real impact and by then the older age bracket on our list are maybe past it. In hindsight last trade period should of been finding another Matt Deboer type player for back up. If we were happy to keep Keefe for emergency this seems to be a pretty big oversight but then that type of player needs to be available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back