Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Tom Wills Oval....even though it's still at Olympic Park will have a very different feel. It'll feel like going 'to the club'.
Agree.

I struggle to get people excited about going to Olympic Park at the best of times....at the mention of Henson it's easy.

I live in that area though. I wonder what the perspective on those who live in Parramatta think...or Penrith.
Stadiums has been an issue for the Giants since day dot.
I live west of Parramatta but east of Blacktown. I probably fall into a demographic that gets excited about going to the inner west.

Last season, mate wasn't keen to come to BISP but came to the Henson Park game despite being from out west. We made a day of it, went to the pub nearby beforehand. Inner West just has a completely different vibe and culture about it that makes you want to go. I'd say we're not alone here.

Completely understand there will be people who don't go because of distance etc but younger demographics may be a lot more open to it even if coming from out west.

In my mind, western Sydney has and always will be such a huge area that even to this day we see arguments about where the west starts so I'm probably a lot more amenable to different locations whereas others seem to get caught up in location specifics.

Eastern Sydney doesn't have this problem and it's a lot smaller, can be easily targetted.

I still have a belief building a good base is more important at this stage than trying to do too much with the huge area that western Sydney is and not particularly succeeding at any of them is more important..before branching out once the base is there.

Plus I'm fairly sure I saw elsewhere that BISP is out due to cricket but not sure how true that is. If BISP was required surely they'd have placed some kind of hold on it for the required dates.

Last edited:
The ability to walk to the game for an AFLW game is not to be overlooked as well. I've been twice with my eldest taking part in the half time games and I'd say the majority are just walking in from the local area.
It was a lazy 15 minute cycle for me and much easier to get friends to than BISP. Now overseas, going to miss it this year :disrelieved: But I also understand the frustration of people who are actually from Western Sydney and find it hard to get to. It's a tricky one.

It was a lazy 15 minute cycle for me and much easier to get friends to than BISP. Now overseas, going to miss it this year :disrelieved: But I also understand the frustration of people who are actually from Western Sydney and find it hard to get to. It's a tricky one.
FWIW it's much easier for me to get to BISP. I'm not walking to either and parking is a lot easier at BISP. :D

I just wish they made it more of a party like they do at Henson Park. But yeah - someone else mentioned cricket. It wouldn't surprise me if they're still vetoing anything we look to do out there outside the bare minimum they can get away with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back