Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ras- Test
Johnno- 1 week
Moose- TBA
Murphy- 3-4
McDonald- 3-4
Corbett- Season

How's the club BS that no further harm was done by Pearce playing?
Also, I have a feeling the break happened a lot earlier in the game. He was complaining about it being sore in the first quarter.

The break is not the same break but at the edge of the plate, so the claim they are making is that waiting a few extra weeks wouldn't necessarily have prevented the second break. It was the plate that was the problem, not that he hadn't been kept out for long enough.

I'm no medical doctor, but as I understand it, to have protected against this second break they would have needed either not to have inserted the plate (meaning 12 weeks(?) healing before return = season over) or have inserted the plate and then removed it after the bone had healed (meaning a second surgery and recovery = season over).

Someone with some real medical expertise can correct me.

Because none of them are going to be as good as Moose. Draper may become a very good player but he will be more like AA Johnno, we need another McPharlin.
Imma be honest, I will absolutely lose it if we spend any capital in anyway on a tall defender. We have more youth in that position then any team in the comp

Imma be honest, I will absolutely lose it if we spend any capital in anyway on a tall defender. We have more youth in that position then any team in the comp
Depends on the quality Snuff. We have quantity, sure, do we have quality and in that I mean someone likely or possibly going to be as good as Moose. Just based on height alone I would say no, which makes us dependent on Alex Pearce being available during our whole premiership window. That window looks like being 5 - 7 years to me so I think its something that we ultimately have to plan for and this injury, at this time of the season only brings it home how much we rely on him.
I will agree, that this year, there are probably more pressing problems to draft for.

Depends on the quality Snuff. We have quantity, sure, do we have quality and in that I mean someone likely or possibly going to be as good as Moose. Just based on height alone I would say no, which makes us dependent on Alex Pearce being available during our whole premiership window. That window looks like being 5 - 7 years to me so I think its something that we ultimately have to plan for and this injury, at this time of the season only brings it home how much we rely on him.
I will agree, that this year, there are probably more pressing problems to draft for.
FB Luke Jackson is thereabouts

You don't recruit several surplus players because you've got one injury prone player. We've already got more KPDs than we probably should have probably because we're developing Pearce's replacement whilst he's still here.

We've got six KPDs on the list. If the younger ones were more developed we'd already have too many. You expect Draper, Davies and Murphy to not develop at all?

It's debatable whether we should've even drafted a KPD when we selected Murphy FFS.

We have a list of 42 players not 150. There's not room for seven key defenders - simple as that

Early, but we have to be pretty happy with the quality as well at this stage. It's just so hard for KPDs to compete while under 20, I'd actually say it's easier for KPFs to compete at a young age because it's almost simpler and "being invisible" is perfectly acceptable. You lose your position as a KPD and the whole team is ****ed.

Davies is dominating Peel, Murphy looks very good from what I've seen and Draper has shown a lot at AFL already. I just cant get behind having MORE developing KPDs on the list unless Murphy heads to Vic and I think both Murphy and Draper are tall enough (though I get your point on Draper possibly being best as a third tall).

I'd rather specifically target a mature KPD in 5 years if somehow all 3 of those guys have failed.

You don't recruit surplus players because you've got one injury prone player.

We've got six KPDs on the list. If the younger ones were more developed we'd already have too many. You expect Draper, Davies and Murphy to not develop at all?

It's debatable whether we should've even drafted a KPD when we selected Murphy FFS.

We have a list of 42 players not 150. There's not room for seven key defenders - simple as that
Haha, I'm trying not to be as harsh as you but yeah, I'm scratching my head as to how MULTIPLE people want MORE KPDs on the list (it's not just you Rhufus )

Pearce was taken with pick 37, you do not need to spend a top ten pick on a KPF. Look how Busslinger and DGB turned out. Compare that to what we paid for Macca and Hamling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely find it odd anyone thinks we need a KPD.

Taylor at 30 or whatever it was as well.
Without speaking for them, I have to assume they have strangely written off Davies already (I would basically have him as the best KPD in the WAFL this year now that Blight has left) and have Murphy on a plane to Vic in 12 months. Both are unfair

Without speaking for them, I have to assume they have strangely written off Davies already (I would basically have him as the best KPD in the WAFL this year now that Blight has left) and have Murphy on a plane to Vic in 12 months. Both are unfair
Yeah was having this discussion the other day with someone here and concluded you'd have to think all 3 of the young ones are write-offs already, which with Draper especially is a very long bow.

At the time, I completely forgot Oscar existed. Which makes it even less appealing.

I'm someone who thinks Murphy's body language was telling, but you still don't act until he actually asks to leave.

Pearce was taken with pick 37, you do not need to spend a top ten pick on a KPF. Look how Busslinger and DGB turned out. Compare that to what we paid for Macca and Hamling.
Every KPD we’ve had over the past few years (Griff excluded) has been from a late pick. You can turn anyone into a serviceable key defender

Yeah was having this discussion the other day with someone here and concluded you'd have to think all 3 of the young ones are write-offs already, which with Draper especially is a very long bow.

At the time, I completely forgot Oscar existed. Which makes it even less appealing.

I'm someone who thinks Murphy's body language was telling, but you still don't act until he actually asks to leave.
To be honest, if Murphy does request a trade we could likely look to replace him as a direct swap for Busslinger or DGB, we are good at developing players and both seem to be struggling at their Vic clubs, both are slightly older than Murphy so may actually speed up the succession plan.

To be honest, if Murphy does request a trade we could likely look to replace him as a direct swap for Busslinger or DGB, we are good at developing players and both seem to be struggling at their Vic clubs, both are slightly older than Murphy so may actually speed up the succession plan.
I don't think either player is coming here to be depth for the next 5-6 years behind Cox and Draper.

If Murphy does leave I'm not against just going to the draft. We'd still have five KPDs on the list although I'd probably be cutting McDonald next year anyway unless he shows he's third in line still.

Think we should try Vossy at full back for peel this weekend. has required aggression and would be good ball user from back Seb can play FF

So confirmed fracture at the end of the plate for Pearce, completely unrelated to the original zone and would still have been equal risk had they held him out for another month

It’s too close to finals for them to have risked not repairing it and risking a nonunion in someone with a history of complex fracture heals, they even pushed him back a week - can tick everything off from the clubs perspective and medical
The risk was playing with the plate in.
That's not what they are designed for and a plated bone cannot work like a proper bone.
They clearly took a calculated risk...
and it didn't come off.
I guess waiting till plate removal and wound healing would have meant not being available for finals?

Also, I have a feeling the break happened a lot earlier in the game. He was complaining about it being sore in the first quarter.

Nope, that was a leg injury…

He was talking with the bench and limping and flexing his leg

Busslinger has just re-signed, and DGB is delist material

I am not advocating for a key defender but I am not totally against it either under the right circumstances. Whilst I like the defenders we have at the moment (although I reckon Murphy is fairly touch and go as to whether he makes it as a key defender) the only one who has super speed AND super size is Alex Pearce, the rest are only either above average (Draper) to pretty mediocre (Cox, Davies, McDonald) to bad (Murphy). That closing speed and size helps him take out the real giants in the AFL.

At the right price, someone like Jack or Matt Whitlock who are likely to also be a 200cm sub 3 second sprint key defenders in that context make a lot of sense. And if they can also switch forward as well and be an option there (remember that Ben King was pretty much a backman in his draft year) which they have both hinted at, then that also provides a lot of flexibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back