Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Great first up win and sets up the year. We’ve made finals every time we’ve won Rd 1 and missed every time we’ve lost.
If we can win 1 of the next 3 games we should make it, 2 out of 3 would give us a shot at top 4.

one day i dreaM the get to put 18 on the field like all the AFLM and like the lower levels of football across the country from U12s and up
Are you in WA? In suburban comps we play according to school grade not age per se. Also even up to Yr9 they play 15 on the field.

Are you in WA? In suburban comps we play according to school grade not age per se. Also even up to Yr9 they play 15 on the field.
Qld was the last state i was coaching in

From U12 on wards they played full field 18 a side on field 4 on the bench full AFL rules.

They used to encourage the Girls to play too upto U14 then made the Girls U15 side which also used to be 18 a SIDE

When i was in WA i never played club footy only did School football so wouldnt know what the rules were back then

EDIT

I jsut searched and the rules all changed LOL

Yep smaller teams for the girls now.

Last edited:
Qld was the last state i was coaching in

From U12 on wards they played full field 18 a side on field 4 on the bench full AFL rules.

They used to encourage the Girls to play too upto U14 then made the Girls U15 side which also used to be 18 a SIDE

When i was in WA i never played club footy only did School football so wouldnt know what the rules were back then

EDIT

I jsut searched and the rules all changed LOL

Yep smaller teams for the girls now.

Yeah? Wow. How long ago was this? Was it pre-ALFW?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To what age? WA has one of the oldest women's comps, but girls teams haven't been, at the very least, widespread... and not existing at all in a lot of areas.
back in early 2000s the Brisbane juniors had girls playing in same team as the boys until they hit 13.
Then they would go play in thier own team. This then continued expanding as those girls got older. Eventually linking in with the Victorian Juniors and doing interstate matches

Is that right? Seems to counter the narrative a bit. I mean some girls talk about playing in mixed teams for a while, but at 9 or thereabouts having no further pathways to go down. So go off to other sports. Incredible.

I know our club, which has a number of girls teams now going great guns, had zero teams right up to 3 years ago.

How did they get enough numbers from mixed teams into a standalone (let alone with 18 on the field)?

Is that right? Seems to counter the narrative a bit. I mean some girls talk about playing in mixed teams for a while, but at 9 or thereabouts having no further pathways to go down. So go off to other sports. Incredible.

I know our club, which has a number of girls teams now going great guns, had zero teams right up to 3 years ago.

How did they get enough numbers from mixed teams into a standalone (let alone with 18 on the field)?
Most families have boys and girls.
AS soon as the teams were announced interest grew.

Not every club had both boys and girls teams as back then more so than now. the clubsthemselves didnt want to focus on girl footy.

AS the president of one club i sold it to the committee as an expansion of fees LOL . But i really jut wanted to see the game expand to more options and Girls footy seemed the way to go

Most families have boys and girls.
AS soon as the teams were announced interest grew.

Not every club had both boys and girls teams as back then more so than now. the clubsthemselves didnt want to focus on girl footy.

AS the president of one club i sold it to the committee as an expansion of fees LOL . But i really jut wanted to see the game expand to more options and Girls footy seemed the way to go
Season 2 Wow GIF by The Serpent Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back