Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not advocating for a key defender but I am not totally against it either under the right circumstances. Whilst I like the defenders we have at the moment (although I reckon Murphy is fairly touch and go as to whether he makes it as a key defender) the only one who has super speed AND super size is Alex Pearce, the rest are only either above average (Draper) to pretty mediocre (Cox, Davies, McDonald) to bad (Murphy). That closing speed and size helps him take out the real giants in the AFL.

At the right price, someone like Jack or Matt Whitlock who are likely to also be a 200cm sub 3 second sprint key defenders in that context make a lot of sense. And if they can also switch forward as well and be an option there (remember that Ben King was pretty much a backman in his draft year) which they have both hinted at, then that also provides a lot of flexibility.
Frankly, no. I will dummy spit if we bring in a 4th under 20 year old KPD and I dont understand how it's even a discussion point.

In terms of defenders the replacement needs where we have uncertain replacements are going to be for Aish and Ryan. There are also very decent options available in this draft to cover that if we need

The risk was playing with the plate in.
That's not what they are designed for and a plated bone cannot work like a proper bone.
They clearly took a calculated risk...
and it didn't come off.
I guess waiting till plate removal and wound healing would have meant not being available for finals?
Not even a risk, standard practice for any athlete in any sport

The risk was playing with the plate in.
That's not what they are designed for and a plated bone cannot work like a proper bone.
They clearly took a calculated risk...
and it didn't come off.
I guess waiting till plate removal and wound healing would have meant not being available for finals?
Plates are usually left in. They’re generally removed only in areas without enough soft tissue coverage for comfort, like clavicles or skinny joints

We have 3 injury prone key defenders on our list - all of which who have missed multiple games this season. 2 of them have missed most of the year.

I'm in the recruit a ready-made reserve camp - preferably one without significant history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have 3 injury prone key defenders on our list - all of which who have missed multiple games this season. 2 of them have missed most of the year.

I'm in the recruit a ready-made reserve camp - preferably one without significant history.

We don’t have 100+ players on our list- we have 44.

Our best 22 has two key defenders in it yet some want seven key defenders on our list.

We’ve had at least one of our best three KPDs available all year except one game and that’s with the third one being injured for literally every game bar one.

We’ve got the most KPD depth in the AFL as it is and by a long way.

Some people on this board should go work in West Coast’s list management team - they’d fit right in.

We don’t have 100+ players on our list- we have 44.

Our best 22 has two key defenders in it yet some want seven key defenders on our list.

We’ve had at least one of our best three KPDs available all year except one game and that’s with the third one being injured for literally every game bar one.

We’ve got the most KPD depth in the AFL as it is and by a long way.

Some people on this board should go work in West Coast’s list management team - they’d fit right in.
The issue is the third one. McDonald should never have been picked up in the first place. We've spent the last 7 years with multiple injury prone key defenders on our list and as soon as 2 of them left (Logue, Hamling) we replaced them with a bloke who would have still been on Carlton's list if he wasn't injury prone himself.

I am not advocating for a key defender but I am not totally against it either under the right circumstances. Whilst I like the defenders we have at the moment (although I reckon Murphy is fairly touch and go as to whether he makes it as a key defender) the only one who has super speed AND super size is Alex Pearce, the rest are only either above average (Draper) to pretty mediocre (Cox, Davies, McDonald) to bad (Murphy). That closing speed and size helps him take out the real giants in the AFL.

At the right price, someone like Jack or Matt Whitlock who are likely to also be a 200cm sub 3 second sprint key defenders in that context make a lot of sense. And if they can also switch forward as well and be an option there (remember that Ben King was pretty much a backman in his draft year) which they have both hinted at, then that also provides a lot of flexibility.
"Under the right circumstances" and "at the right price" is probably doing a fair bit of legwork. Freo are almost unrivalled at spotting talent, so if they thought that a particular key back was too good to pass up at a certain pick I'd back them, even if it meant having to rearrange the magnets and having a season where we're clearly overloaded.

Example (though with far lower picks): Reidy and Knobel are both more than good enough to ruck at WAFL league level, and it's hard to say we got either pick wrong especially in a fairly rubbish draft, but Knobel's having to play WAFL reserves when he's way too good for that. The "project/squad key fwds" is another where this season we're overloaded list spot wise. Both you'd assume result in some of those players being delisted/traded. It's not ideal use of list spots, but it's not the biggest deal.

As a side note, I'd find the idea of taking a key back with a high pick somewhat ironic, especially if part of the logic is their unique attributes relative to our current crop, because it seemed last year with Ollie Murphy we justified that pick in part because he was a "sliding bolter". There was a lot of "look at the championships, ignore why following the championships he plummeted".

Crazy talk to bring in another draftee KPD. You don't magically replace an All Australian level player like Pearce with a draft pick. They take time to develop and Davies, Draper and Murphy are on the right track. People complaining they don't look good enough because they're young but want to bring in an 18 year old and expect him to be as good as Pearce right out of the box. We took Murphy because he slid and Walls said he was too good a prospect to pass up. Just because he looked like he received a death sentence when we picked him doesn't mean he won't want to stay long term.

Also none of Ryan, Pearce or Cox were high draft picks. You use first round picks on mids and forwards.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back