F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Verstappen to hold up Norris as long as po
PIA sending STR to the shadow realm

I'd have swapped positions for 2nd and 3rd, but ol' mate AdminEating Dragon made a good point.

Oscar really wanted that win.

He is fighting with everything he has to show that he isn't, and won't be, a 2nd driver. It's a slippery slope if you take that role for even half a season, because in the mindset of McLaren is easier to delegate him to that role e.g. next year if he's -15 to Norris after 4 races.

Team orders are understandable, but everyone in the team has to understand the context.

I do wonder if internally McLaren see Oscar as the more likely going forward. Norris clearly struggles under pressure while Oscar is cool and level in any situation. Now he's starting to match him maybe that's why they don't want to risk doing the number 2 thing now. I think it would be completely understandable to have made them swap but at the same time Lando needs to show he can legitimately chase Max down and so far it seems he makes mistakes more often than not when in good spots.

PIA sending STR to the shadow realm

Oscar is normally a cool customer in post race interviews so he must be really pissed at Stroll.

No surprises this hold up was missed by the Sky mob. Too busy soaking up the tears over how hard done by Lando was.

I don't see that McLaren did much wrong, it didn't really make much sense for them to go with the riskier strategy, and it looked like Ferrari only just managed to pull it off in the end anyway.

The issue for me was the first stop. McLaren/Piastri got sucked into playing everyone else's 2-stop strategy when his tyres didn't seem to indicate a need to stop. If he'd gotten another 4-5 laps out of his mediums, maybe he has enough faith in the hards to try and one-stop.

I'd love to know what "Papaya rules" actually means. To me there are 2 possibilities - one is that "you can race Oscar, Papaya rules" means they've identified a couple of spots on the track where they can race each other; but the other is "we're saying for the radio that you can race, Papaya rules means stay the hell away."

I do wonder if internally McLaren see Oscar as the more likely going forward. Norris clearly struggles under pressure while Oscar is cool and level in any situation. Now he's starting to match him maybe that's why they don't want to risk doing the number 2 thing now. I think it would be completely understandable to have made them swap but at the same time Lando needs to show he can legitimately chase Max down and so far it seems he makes mistakes more often than not when in good spots.
I think they need to give Lando more time to become accustomed to being at the top.

He'd only won his first race earlier this season and now all of a sudden he's half in a championship battle. He'll get experience from some mistakes he's made this season - the trick will be can he learn from them.

I think that's the most dominant Oscar has been over Norris over a whole race. Always looked the quicker of the two. Even with Norris getting a benefit of a couple of undercuts he's still well clear.
I’m waiting for the race this year where McLaren pits Oscar before Norris, and gets the benefit of the undercut. Whether Norris is in front of Oscar or behind, McLaren brings Norris in to the pits first every, single race. They always have an excuse as to why this happens. And then despite the massive time gained, Norris still had races where he’s behind Piastri.

Mark Webber needs to bring this up with Zak Brown. McLaren are pretending to give both drivers equal treatment when it’s obvious that Norris always gets pitstop priority.

Oscar is normally a cool customer in post race interviews so he must be really pissed at Stroll.

No surprises this hold up was missed by the Sky mob. Too busy soaking up the tears over how hard done by Lando was.

that’s normally the case. but as i’ve said he showed unusual aggression. even before the race he was not his usual casual self. i like it.

Peter Windsor agrees Mclaren ****ed this race all on their own by letting the guys fight each other for fastest laps after the first round of pit stops when they’d jumped Leclerc and were one-two on the track. All they needed to do was take it easy on the tyres and stay ahead of Leclerc as a one stop always wins at Monza.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Windsor agrees Mclaren ****ed this race all on their own by letting the guys fight each other for fastest laps after the first round of pit stops when they’d jumped Leclerc and were one-two on the track. All they needed to do was take it easy on the tyres and stay ahead of Leclerc as a one stop always wins at Monza.

what a shit trophy.

really liked oscar’s more aggressive approach in the race. you need some mongrel to be successful in this caper. he didn’t hold back on stroll.

i see lando whining again. and as for that relic marko having a shot at mclaren, just stfu and look after your outfit. not that his role seems much these days.

I love Oscar as much as the rest of us, but if Lando made the Stroll comment would this whole board not be using that as an example of "more whinging"?

I don't think Lando is actually that bad. He's harsher on himself than anything else. And his comments about Lap 1 were fine.

Marko is also 100% correct about McLaren. They're really good at not winning races. Red Bull have had years of success so I don't think his outfit is too worried. McLaren haven't won a Constructor's since 1998.

I love Oscar as much as the rest of us, but if Lando made the Stroll comment would this whole board not be using that as an example of "more whinging"?

I don't think Lando is actually that bad. He's harsher on himself than anything else. And his comments about Lap 1 were fine.

Marko is also 100% correct about McLaren. They're really good at not winning races. Red Bull have had years of success so I don't think his outfit is too worried. McLaren haven't won a Constructor's since 1998.
Nothing Lando said post race deserves any criticism, he handled himself well.

I think the fact it is Stroll that was in the way probably helps, people are always happy to sink the boot in to him.

No because Stroll is hated a lot more than Lando around here.

If anyone else reads the F1 sub on Reddit then I would highly advise avoiding it. It is an absolute cesspool full of Lando simps and McLaren/Oscar bashing at the moment.
I have spent most of my day on it, getting a good chuckle out of it to be honest

If anyone else reads the F1 sub on Reddit then I would highly advise avoiding it. It is an absolute cesspool full of Lando simps and McLaren/Oscar bashing at the moment.
Not really much different to here being pro Oscar/Dan etc.

They'll be one eyed to their national fave who's hoping (but struggling) to fight for the title.

Enough's enough with croft and kravitz

Is there an alternate commentary i can listen to on my laptop next race ?
If you have Foxtel you can watch via the F1 App on the IQ5 and listen to the F1TV Feed (included with Foxtel, just have to link your account)

Enough's enough with croft and kravitz

Is there an alternate commentary i can listen to on my laptop next race ?

If you don't watch live you can download the F1TV feed from torrent sites which is what I do now since I cancelled Kayo. Alex Jaques, DC, and Alex Brundle are infinitely better to listen to.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back