2024 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong will likely make top four but this gets back to the whole 'Beveridge Bulldogs' premise, their team should be in our position and slotted firmly inside the top four.
They reached a grand final only three years ago. They have the best player in the competition and arguably the best midfield. Two of the best key forwards and a top shelf ruckman.

Why they consistently drift in and around 5th-13th spot is bizarre.
Everyone ignores how many young and inexperienced players we are fielding each week. No excuse for our inconsistency but it’s a factor.

As long as we avoid Brisbane in the finals I think we're a chance. Hoping someone else can take them out for us.

To be honest, unless the Blues have another level up their sleeve, I don't think they will be winning it this year without a lot falling their way.

It looks like Carlton have decided they will try to score their way to the flag ala 1972. But it normally ends up more like Geelong under Malcolm Blight, conceding cricket scores in big finals.

To be honest, unless the Blues have another level up their sleeve, I don't think they will be winning it this year without a lot falling their way.

It looks like Carlton have decided they will try to score their way to the flag ala 1972. But it normally ends up more like Geelong under Malcolm Blight, conceding cricket scores in big finals.
We've just consistently had injuries to our back line most of the year and been very very leaky from stoppage inside 50. Nothing to do with game plan or trying to outgun teams, just haven't been defending as well as last year.

That said, the last month or so has been a pretty ordinary display of footy from the Blues, need to find the form they had vs Geelong and Port etc. Looked miles better than what we dished up vs North today.

We've just consistently had injuries to our back line most of the year and been very very leaky from stoppage inside 50. Nothing to do with game plan or trying to outgun teams, just haven't been defending as well as last year.

That said, the last month or so has been a pretty ordinary display of footy from the Blues, need to find the form they had vs Geelong and Port etc. Looked miles better than what we dished up vs North today.
There is always a chance they have a little up their sleeves. But if not, you just can't win finals against decent teams defending the way Carlton's midfield and defence does.

We've just consistently had injuries to our back line most of the year
Isn't it just McGovern right now? When was the last time the backline injuries had stacked up? I remember the brief period without both Gov and Saad at round 7-9. Gov came back and Saad followed soon after.

For the recent bit, Marchbank instead of McGovern alone can't explain it.

Isn't it just McGovern right now? When was the last time the backline injuries had stacked up? I remember the brief period without both Gov and Saad at round 7-9. Gov came back and Saad followed soon after.

For the recent bit, Marchbank instead of McGovern alone can't explain it.
It hasn't been all at once, just consistently 1-2 in and out every couple weeks. Nothing more than what's considered standard for this time of year but with McGovern in and out this year, Weitering with 3-4 games now where he's had debilitating corks early, Kemp+Marchbanks form being all over the shop and then throw in the experimentation with Cincotta and Williams switching roles from defense... We've just struggled to find our defensive profile which we found success with last season.

Not saying injuries have severely crippled us down back at any point, just that we haven't been able to find the synergy needed to stop leaking more goals than we should likely due to a range of factors.

It hasn't been all at once, just consistently 1-2 in and out every couple weeks. Nothing more than what's considered standard for this time of year but with McGovern in and out this year, Weitering with 3-4 games now where he's had debilitating corks early, Kemp+Marchbanks form being all over the shop and then throw in the experimentation with Cincotta and Williams switching roles from defense... We've just struggled to find our defensive profile which we found success with last season.

Not saying injuries have severely crippled us down back at any point, just that we haven't been able to find the synergy needed to stop leaking more goals than we should likely due to a range of factors.
Yeah fair enough. Having that really settled defensive core is important. And I do think the team looks a bit shaky without Gov. I just wonder if they are one really elite shutdown defender, or medium intercepting type, short. Or is there an upgrade on a third tall like Marchbank?

You don't need a perfect list to win a premiership. It'll be interesting to see though whether the Blues get it done with this group or whether maybe one up forward and one down back are needed to complete the puzzle.

They're still my second favourite. There's no way they give up these tepid performances in big finals at the G. Maybe coasting a little right now.

Yeah fair enough. Having that really settled defensive core is important. And I do think the team looks a bit shaky without Gov. I just wonder if they are one really elite shutdown defender, or medium intercepting type, short. Or is there an upgrade on a third tall like Marchbank?

You don't need a perfect list to win a premiership. It'll be interesting to see though whether the Blues get it done with this group or whether maybe one up forward and one down back are needed to complete the puzzle.

They're still my second favourite. There's no way they give up these tepid performances in big finals at the G. Maybe coasting a little right now.
A fully fit and in form Marchbank is good enough to fill that void imo, but rumours on our board that he's told the club he's pulling the pin end of year as he's not mentally in it after so many injuries. Kemp is a good player but really isn't a 2nd KPD type as he's too small and gets manhandled too often despite being a brilliant interceptor.

We could do with someone like Kolo who really isn't a pretty footballer at all but can lock down an opponent and split the 50/50s

Well we were playing better a month ago, so we know the level to go to is there, we just need to find it again.

Playing like we have the last 3 weeks won’t get the job done obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WLD%
1.Sydney1850141.4%
2.Brisbane Lions1661120.2%
3.Carlton1670117.5%
4.Fremantle1571117.8%
5.GWS1580114.3%
6.Geelong1580110.0%
7.Hawthorn1490103.8%
8.Essendon139199.4%
9.Western Bulldogs12110112.6%
10.Port Adelaide12110100.0%
11.Gold Coast11120100.5%
12.Melbourne1112098.5%
13.Collingwood1011295.8%
14.Adelaide8141100.1%
15.St Kilda815095.4%
16.North Melbourne419069.0%
17.West Coast320067.7%
18.Richmond320067.0%
QF1: SYDNEY v Fremantle
QF2: BRISBANE LIONS v Carlton
EF1: GWS v Essendon
EF2: Geelong v HAWTHORN

SF1: Fremantle v GWS
SF2: CARLTON v Hawthorn

PF1: SYDNEY v Carlton
PF2: BRISBANE LIONS v GWS

GF: SYDNEY v Brisbane Lions

Everyone ignores how many young and inexperienced players we are fielding each week. No excuse for our inconsistency but it’s a factor.

Really? You had 4 players under 22 playing this weekend and 2 players under 20 games played (so less than a full season).

I'm not sure but I think that's among the lowest going around. For example Geelong had 6 of the youngest 10 players on the ground and the 3 least experienced by games played on Saturday. We're not exactly young and inexperienced.

Big thank you to everyone who contributed to effectively knocking out Pies from the race. That sweet sweet pick will go down well.

I think anyway you shake it, there will be teams missing out on 13 wins. You'll need that percentage at least above 105 and closer to 110 to guarantee a spot with 13 wins so if my friends at Carlton and Sydney could annihilate some Port percentage the next two weeks I'd be very grateful.

Big thank you to everyone who contributed to effectively knocking out Pies from the race. That sweet sweet pick will go down well.

I think anyway you shake it, there will be teams missing out on 13 wins. You'll need that percentage at least above 105 and closer to 110 to guarantee a spot with 13 wins so if my friends at Carlton and Sydney could annihilate some Port percentage the next two weeks I'd be very grateful.
are you suggesting we may go top 4 and get two top 10 picks in the draft? Nice Snuff. Nice.

WLD%
1.Sydney1850141.4%
3.Carlton1670117.5%
4.Fremantle1571117.8%
5.GWS1580114.3%
6.Geelong1580110.0%
7.Hawthorn1490103.8%
8.Essendon139199.4%
11.Gold Coast11120100.5%
12.Melbourne1112098.5%
13.Collingwood1011295.8%
14.Adelaide8141100.1%
15.St Kilda815095.4%
17.West Coast320067.7%
18.Richmond320067.0%

So you think the dogs only win 2 of the last 5. I think the dogs will start favourite in their last 4 games and are a chance against the Swans with couple of key injuries this week. They play:

Swans Away
Dees Home
Crows Away
North Home
GWS Home

So you think the dogs only win 2 of the last 5. I think the dogs will start favourite in their last 4 games and are a chance against the Swans with couple of key injuries this week. They play:

Swans Away
Dees Home
Crows Away
North Home
GWS Home
Isn't that the problem though? You'll be favourites and decide just not to show up for one of those games? Your best is top 4 but you're 9th for a reason.

Port game was only 3 ago (seriously **** off that you didn't beat them).

WLD%
1.Sydney1850141.4%
3.Carlton1670117.5%
4.Fremantle1571117.8%
5.GWS1580114.3%
6.Geelong1580110.0%
7.Hawthorn1490103.8%
8.Essendon139199.4%
11.Gold Coast11120100.5%
12.Melbourne1112098.5%
13.Collingwood1011295.8%
14.Adelaide8141100.1%
15.St Kilda815095.4%
17.West Coast320067.7%
18.Richmond320067.0%

Geelong v Hawks would be a great match. The anticipation and PTSD from Cats supporters would be unreal especially if they lose when it counted again.

Doubt they’ll meet each other though this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back