2024 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Everytime i think I have form worked out teams fall. I dont see Freo or Brisbane losing any before finals though.
I've got us likely going 5-2 to finish which would mean the top 4 could shuffle around a fair bit if those two don't drop any.

Freo at Optus I wouldn't mind, Brisbane at the Gabba would be a nightmare

Everytime i think I have form worked out teams fall. I dont see Freo or Brisbane losing any before finals though.
It's too even, we aren't that much better than that many teams around us. It's basically a chook lotto from Hawks upwards where if the other team is at their best and your 5% off, you lose.

Dogs had form to smash Port who were woeful I getting the win against Saints, then they don't get off the plane and get belted.

Both Brisbane and Freo will lose at least one. I really need you all to keep beating Pies and Port though, thanks.

Every single side has had patches where they do their best not to be a contender .

Sydney look shocking now, Blues a bad loss, Bombers back winning, Cats suddenly in from, Lions back in form.

Maybe it's the Dockers flag to lose

I just want a win again lot to play out
Swans lost two games by combined less than a goal

Still 2 games clear on top, probably just in the heavy training load stage

They are still the best team by a distance imo

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Some pretty cool stories in this one.

WEEK 1

- Swans haven't beaten Lions at SCG since 2017.

- Geelong haven't beaten GWS at Kardinia since 2018 (that's even if the game is there but Cats did defeat GWS last time they played a Final against each other)

- Essendon would continue their Finals win drought and again lose to the Bulldogs in an Elimination Final.

- Carlton and Freo haven't played at the MCG since 2021, Carlton defeated Freo by 16 points.

WEEK 2

- Brisbane have not defeated Geelong in a Finals game since 2004 Prelim (yes that one) where Brisbane had to play a "Home Final" Prelim at the MCG. Lions fans still contend that if they didn't have to trvel for this game, they would have been better prepared for the Grand Final against Port. The last 2 Finals games were Prelim Finals in 2022 and 2020 where Geelong won by 71 and 40 points respectively.

- The last time Fremantle and the Bulldogs played a Final was 2022 also in Perth. Freo overcomes a 41-point deficit to win by 13 points resulting in a 54-point turnaround.

WEEK 3

- Fremantle and the Swans have played 4 times in Finals games in their history of matchups. 2006 Prelim Final, 2013 Prelim Final and 2014/2015 Semi Finals. Each has won on 2 of those occasions with both wins coming at their team's Home Ground. (Swans in 2006 and 2014 in Sydney) (Freo in 2013 and 2015 in Perth)

- This would be the second time Brisbane Lions (under that name) have played Carlton in a Prelim also resulting in a win. The Lions have won the last two Finals matchups, the Blues haven't beaten Brisbane in a Final since the year 2000.

WEEK 4

- The last time the Lions and Swans met in a Final was the 2003 Prelim Final. The Lions won and went on to win the 2003 Grand Final. The 1899 VFL Grand Final between Fitzroy and South Melbourne is the only time these two teams have matched up in a Grand Final, Fitzroy coming out on top victors by 1 point.

I've got us likely going 5-2 to finish which would mean the top 4 could shuffle around a fair bit if those two don't drop any.

Freo at Optus I wouldn't mind, Brisbane at the Gabba would be a nightmare
Carlton are Freo's bogey team.

You should be confident.

West Coast could throw a real spanner in the works if they bounce this week against Brisbane at Optus Stadium. A loss on Sunday could be catastrophic for the Lions who have the Swans the following week with games against GWS, Collingwood and Essendon still to come. Even Gold Coast and St Kilda away could be tricky fixtures for Brisbane.

The Lions are currently only 2 points inside the 8. Can't really afford a loss this week with the upcoming draw they have.

Can Freo grab a top 2 spot?
All it's going to take is one extra win when compared to Carlton so logic would dictate that the answer is yes. If the Dockers get the double chance at home in Perth then look out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney have had a soft draw. The only win of note they have had away from home was Freo, and that was before Freo got it together.
LMAO soft draw. We've beaten every single team we've played sans 2 fairly shit teams where we played atrociously and inaccurately with an average losing margin of 3. By seasons end you would expect us to have beaten every single team with the exception 2 wooden spoon contenders we only had the 1 chance to play. We're effectively sitting 3 games clear atop the ladder at near seasons end. Stop acting like the fixture is the reason for Sydney's dominance. They are clearly daylight ahead of everyone else.

I personally find it funny that some people don't think the Swans are still the clear no1 seed. 2 losses in a row, teams have worked them out - its 3 losses by 8pts total...

Carlton have like the 13th worst defense in the league and are a stoppage juggernaut...that give up massive points from stoppage, Cats got battered by the same Carlton 3 weeks ago, Freo gave up 140 to the Dogs 5 weeks ago (who just got pumped by Port), Port are coached by Ken "finals are scary" Hinkley, Lions let the Saints score 100 and almost got rolled by Dees at home, Essendon have a % of 99 (less than 15th placed Crom), Pies will be playing top-ups soon etc.

Last edited:
LMAO soft draw. We've beaten every single team we've played sans 2 fairly shit teams where we played atrociously and inaccurately with an average losing margin of 3. By seasons end you would expect us to have beaten every single team with the exception 2 wooden spoon contenders we only had the 1 chance to play. We're effectively sitting 3 games clear atop the ladder at near seasons end. Stop acting like the fixture is the reason for Sydney's dominance. They are clearly daylight ahead of everyone else.
Not always about who you play but where and when.

Sydney have gotten a little lucky with how things have turned out, not your fault or anything and you made hay well the sun was shinning so well done.

You don't have to take my word for it but let me show you how your fixture has played out.

Melbourne home.
Collingwood away, but at the start of the year when they were right underdone.
Essendon home.
Gold Coast home, we all know how different a proposition they are away.
Freo away, is on paper your best win (but then they also split with you at home).
Carlton home.
Geelong home.

When looking at the current top 8 you have played 5 home games and only 2 away games.

You have 3 tough away games coming up and I'm interested to see how you go with that.

Brisbane away
Port away
Essendon away

Might want to temper that arrogance a little though, saying you are daylight ahead of everyone else with so much footy left to play. Better teams then this Sydney one have fallen short, hell better Sydney teams then this one have fallen short.

Could make a break this weekend. 9-13th are all playing teams in the top 8, and 1-8th all play teams below them. Could be 4 points and percentage separating 8th and 9th by the end of the round, instead of 1 game separating 5th and 10th as it is now.
Definitely. Starts with the Hawthorn v Fremantle game that's on right now. It's assumed that 13 wins are required to play finals this year so if the 8 win Hawks don't win this one against the Dockers then they will need to win all of their remaining 6 games for the season to qualify because their poor percentage means they need 14 wins to make it. They'll likely be playing for their season against Collingwood next week and we know the Pies are in a similar position after their loss last night.

WLD%
1.Sydney1760133.1%
2.Geelong1760118.2%
3.Essendon1661105.5%
4.Carlton1580112.4%
5.GWS1580111.5%
6.Melbourne1490106.0%
7.Port Adelaide1490104.2%
8.Brisbane Lions1391116.1%
9.Fremantle12101107.7%
10.Hawthorn1211096.6%
11.Western Bulldogs11120110.5%
12.Collingwood912299.6%
13.Gold Coast1013099.4%
14.Adelaide715198.2%
15.St Kilda617087.7%
16.Richmond617071.8%
17.West Coast518072.4%
18.North Melbourne518071.4%
QF1: SYDNEY v Carlton
QF2: GEELONG v Essendon
EF1: GWS v BRISBANE LIONS
EF2: Melbourne v PORT ADELAIDE

SF1: Carlton v BRISBANE LIONS
SF2: Essendon v PORT ADELAIDE

PF1: SYDNEY v Port Adelaide
PF2: GEELONG v Brisbane Lions

GF: Sydney v GEELONG

Swans and Cats with an easy ride to the grand final

please tell me you did this weeks ago. Bulldogs are garbage and you think Port win 1 more game?
I have Port winning two more against the Tigers and the Crows but losing against the Suns in QLD, Carlton, Swans, Dee's at the 'G and Freo in Perth.

Looking at it I think I gave the Bulldogs 1 or 2 too many wins. They are a super streaky team and Bont is the most impactful player in the game though. I'm picking them to upset the Blues next week so sue me.

So are you 100% in footy tipping this year or sitting on cool couple mil in your SportsBet account? Or should I have picked the favourites in every game? I tell you now, that won't be right either.
;)

If only we'd got over the line against the Hawks.

West Coast could throw a real spanner in the works if they bounce this week against Brisbane at Optus Stadium. A loss on Sunday could be catastrophic for the Lions who have the Swans the following week with games against GWS, Collingwood and Essendon still to come. Even Gold Coast and St Kilda away could be tricky fixtures for Brisbane.

The Lions are currently only 2 points inside the 8. Can't really afford a loss this week with the upcoming draw they have.
They won't.Unlikely to win another game this season.
Will rely on either the Kangas or Tigers to be worse to not get the spoon.

They won't.Unlikely to win another game this season.
Will rely on either the Kangas or Tigers to be worse to not get the spoon.
You're probably right, but we've seen a few upsets today so I wouldn't be 100% confident of it. Brisbane still have to do the longest trip in footy for this one and that's always going to take a toll no matter the quality of the team. Don't forget, Brisbane did lose to Freo in Perth earlier this year.

Having said all that, Brisbane should still get the W tomorrow.

WLD%
1.Sydney1850134.2%
2.Geelong1670116.5%
3.Essendon1571103.4%
4.Carlton1580113.1%
5.Port Adelaide1580104.9%
6.GWS13100107.7%
7.Hawthorn1310099.8%
8.Brisbane Lions12101111.6%
9.Fremantle12101107.2%
10.Gold Coast12110105.3%
11.Melbourne12110101.3%