What if i told you there was a player out there who’s:

Out of contract
Plays a position we are desperate for
Durable
Experienced
Premiership player
30 years old
Scored over 360 goals

As a player he would be a fantastic aquasition.
This better not be Jake Stringer

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Those statements are easy to make, not so easy in practicality. Give me names of gettable players meeting that description.

The cupboard is bare. Plus, a quality player would cost our first pick, even if we can afford the salary.

We need to hit the draft for our KPD.
We also need to draft a quality small forward option.
We will be getting midfield options with the Campos, but still need to upgrade pace and precision, not to mention smarts and leadership.
In regards to gettable players, we have only been raising free agents or out of contract types but that doesn’t mean others wont become available, we got Hollands, Collingwood got Schultz, so there could still be plenty of options.

Two players become free agents next year at GC, both are key defenders and I’m a fan of both, for all we know, one could be gettable and perhaps it would be good targeting one of these guys if they are.

A quality player would cost our first pick, maybe even our next two, this is normal, you need to pay for quality, Melbourne did it to get in Lever and May, Geelong did it to get in Cameron and in both cases it filled a need enough to get them both a premiership.

Im with you on needing to add small forwards and pace but you dont have to do this in the first round, we would still be adding youth if we traded one or two first rounders.

Salary is an unknown, I’ve long believed we have no money, which is why we haven’t been seen to targeting quality players, except for Hayward and i will double down on this belief if we once again fail to add quality and depth to the list.

The two players are Collins and Ballard.

I think either one of those two next year would improve us more than a draftee taken with our first pick

Those statements are easy to make, not so easy in practicality. Give me names of gettable players meeting that description.

The cupboard is bare. Plus, a quality player would cost our first pick, even if we can afford the salary.

We need to hit the draft for our KPD.
We also need to draft a quality small forward option.
We will be getting midfield options with the Campos, but still need to upgrade pace and precision, not to mention smarts and leadership.
whatever it takes we do it. Even if it means we trade out a player that would get us a first rounder.

We are unbalanced.

Our midfield needs a reshuffle.

Cerra Walsh too much of same thing.

Kennedy very good and versatile but unfortunately a bit slow for midfield. Good in other roles though.

Hewett is more defensive and no penetration in kicks.

We need a midfield that works well in the modern high pace game.

Need? We need options in defence. You say you don’t want to see Kemp near defence next year. If we are not playing Kemp back, as well as moving Marchbank, Durdin and Akuei, we need to have two ready to go key defensive options as well as logically drafting a kid.

I have done an exercise looking at every tall defender currently on a list. They have bee contracted if they are any good. So much conversation about moving contracted types. We cannot afford Barrass, we cannot afford free agent Battle. Even Jeremy McGovern thrown around, I believe is still owed a decent amount in backended contracts.

The best option not getting a regular game is Leek Aleer, but he is contracted.
Harry Edwards is hot property, but other than being tall, he is still learning and nit a guaranteed front liner.

The options are not there

We are looking at Haynes, McDonald, Tomlinson, maybe Howard, Keath types if we are taking one.

Haynes is head and shoulders above them at his peak. He has not declined dramatically. GWS have great younger options. I agree he is not perfect, but he offers more than the others, given that he comes without draft collateral. I liked McDonald as an option, but he is boiling on the stove, cooked so well that would not last two years. You shot down Tomlinson a couple of weeks back.

Give me genuine GETTABLE names.

I have a different perspective.

If a player is good enough and I think they will make a difference I am happy with it. Haynes at his "peak" is a heck of a player BUT he will be 33, has definitely slowed down and will cost money and a spot. A 190cm 3rd tall isn't that hard to fill.

To get someone like that because we can't (or we haven't identified someone) get a KPD doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather see if Lemmey or O'Keefe can be a key defender and my gut feel is we have someone we are targeting that may not have been mentioned yet

IMO we desperately NEED a 196cm plus KPD. Nothing less

At the moment everything is hypothetical and a lot to play out

1st dynamic mid/forward - Hotton?
2nd KPD - O'Farell
3rd BC
4th/1st Rookie LC
2nd Rookie Liam McMahon Need another tall
3rd Rookie Lord

Out
DC
CM
OF
AM
MC
DA(Doesn't count)
SD
Potentially move Jack Carroll/Cory Durdin on

Need to keep Jack Martin but can't offer more than 2 years with potential triggers.

On board for Luco, never realised that he is 195 cm's. Just the way he glides over the turf, never would have thought he was that tall. Question will be, can he develop into a man a on man defender. Probably needs to bulk up a little, to play this role.

Or is more suited to playing wing/half forward. His delivery by foot would make us much better, no doubt.

If we were to get Haynes, then Luco could continue to play his current role. Perhaps replacing Ollie on his wing, as he has been largely underwhelming this season. Ollie will be fine of course, and much better next year.

I’ve never understood the argument that guys the size of Haynes, Kemp and Marchbank aren’t genuine keybacks, Where have all 3 played 90% of their football since being in the AFL system? Keyback

It’s not the 80s or 90s anymore where sides play two big slow lumbering key backs we already have Weitering who while he’s a gun he’s also the slowest key defender in the competition, No side in the competition plays two 196cm plus defenders unless at least one of them is an elite athlete or has elite closing speed.

If Haynes body is up to it for a couple of seasons he’s definitely a better option than anything we have at the moment.

You forgot to add another 1st round pick, a late teens pick and a kid who slid to 28 because of lack of intent, isn’t getting us close to Rachelle,

So you’re saying 2 x FRDP, another top 20 DP and Moir? He’s not Jeremy Cameron!!! I think you are overvaluing him a fair bit, but if we had to I’d give them second or Pittonet (they need a ruck) in addition to our first and Moir to get the deal done.

I’ve never understood the argument that guys the size of Haynes, Kemp and Marchbank aren’t genuine keybacks, Where have all 3 played 90% of their football since being in the AFL system? Keyback

It’s not the 80s or 90s anymore where sides play two big slow lumbering key backs we already have Weitering who while he’s a gun he’s also the slowest key defender in the competition, No side in the competition plays two 196cm plus defenders unless at least one of them is an elite athlete or has elite closing speed.

What if Weitering goes down?

So you’re saying 2 x FRDP, another top 20 DP and Moir? He’s not Jeremy Cameron!!! I think you are overvaluing him a fair bit, but if we had to I’d give them second or Pittonet (they need a ruck) in addition to our first and Moir to get the deal done.
When we talk of first round picks, we need to clarify where? Pick 8, 14, 18? It makes a huge difference to the equation, we currently have pick 11 and id still suggest wed need to use our next years 1st as well, with something coming back.

I thought i read you suggested our 1st rounder plus Moir and then a pick we get for Owies, if our pick this years stays where it is, its not a bad deal for them if they like Moir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if Weitering goes down?
In the scenario being spoken of, we still have Young for two more contracted years. Also Lemmey will be bloody close after another pre season, is heading in the right direction. I was the first to mention Hudson O’Keeffe as a potential KPD, and I would love to see it trialled. He is an athletic big man and more than holds his own at ground level. A great deal will depend on Pittonet. Hard to see him leaving yet, even if consigned to the twos for most of next season. If Pitt was on the move then HOK gets fast tracked. If Pitto holds down first ruck in the maroons with Lemmey back up, then HOK should be given an alternate role.

Both Lemmey and O’Keeffe could be ready for games early next season.

Then like every other side in the AFL we are forced to play a player who is a significant downgrade on our number one key defender ours is Young. Brisbane, Sydney, Pies, Cats and Dogs all the best sides would have the same issue with the Giants maybe the only exception with their Keyback depth.

Big difference between downgrade and not up to it

I'd be keen on lukosius. 23 year old, probably only just about to mature. Very talented. Criticism is typical of a key position player who has not matured yet. Most don't kick on until they are 23 or 24. Not many key position players under 23 who are great, they are generally more the exception than the rule.
Is he even a KPP, I would have thought he is a good swingman who can play as a 3rd tall forward but not as your main KPP.

Similar to our own number 1

At whichever club Lukosius ends up at, if that forward line has the right balance could see him becoming a similar player to Gunston and the way he worked within the Hawks system with Franklin and Roughead.

Even though we have a similar make up in the 2 x KPFs, I don’t see him in Navy however. Doubt we shell out our first and no idea of Suns current salary situation and whether they’d be selling a Bowes situation to clubs.

I'd be keen on lukosius. 23 year old, probably only just about to mature. Very talented. Criticism is typical of a key position player who has not matured yet. Most don't kick on until they are 23 or 24. Not many key position players under 23 who are great, they are generally more the exception than the rule.
Yes!
And the chant possibilities!

SuperkalafrajilisticexpiaLacoucious!!!!

Haynes will be on a reported heavily back-ended deal worth north of 1mil next year...

I'd hope instead of getting him as FA, GWS actually pay us with a later pick to take on that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back