Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not meant o be fair , it is meant o be about money otherwise the players won’t be paid as much .

As fans it is hard to accept . But it is what it is , it not going to change unless they play each time the same number of times . The players and clubs don’t want longer seasons so that not an option . And we never going to a shorter season due to tv rights .

So when things can’t be changed we have to do whatever it takes to win those games at venues we may not like .

We have the world stacked against us but so did all interstate teams that play . Maybe not as bad as us , but it is what it is

So improve skills and we win enough matches

Too many games every year we should have won and could have won

We seem to have mental issues at times and as a club we need to do all we can

If travel is too long , then arrive earlier , a few days before a game . Prepare

Work out how to overcome the tiredness of long flights etc

They are full time professional

Nothing to be gained by complaining about things that will never change

Collingwood will never play more games away from mcg Essendon sane .

The club can get better and it will
Yes the reality of the AFL is we travel.
Our players aren’t robots. To say we just win because is not considering the human factor of what travel does to the body and the mind, particularly over an along season.
The extra travel burden of going to Launceston compared to Melbourne can not be ignored.
If we were playing Norths and we’d lost I’d be fuming, but Hawthorn have now won 8 of the last 10 and are in the top 3 for most of the metrics that indicate a team in great form.
The overreaction to a 13point away loss by some on this board is just ridiculous.

Personally can’t wait to hear what they say when hawks and north sell two home games to WA every year!
We send so much money across as part of equality.
Might as well get an extra home game out of it.
Those little clubs would be seething.
What if north had to
Play in perth 4 times in a year. 🤣🤣

fd9797648332a2936b2f18db756c0559.jpg

Starlight Jumper this year. Nice touch to have the Woodside logo in yellow.

The Launceston fixturing debate is interesting. I hate that we play there so much but I feel most of you aren’t looking at the bigger picture here.
You have to put yourself in the shoes of the Hawthorn footy club.
They play 4 games a year in Launceston.
This year it’s:
Gws
Freo
Saints
North.

You have to remember there is zero chance they are playing any of the big vic clubs in Launceston. For example there will be 75k at the G for their home match this weekend v the pies. As much as it’s unfair, there is zero, zilch chance that they pass up that gate to play Collingwood in Tasmania.
It’s never going to happen.
Same with Carlton or Essendon or Richmond. Geelong on Easter Monday is a marquee game so that won’t ever happen either.

It would be like us playing a home derby in Alice springs.

The Launceston fixturing debate is interesting. I hate that we play there so much but I feel most of you aren’t looking at the bigger picture here.
This year it’s:
Gws
Freo
Saints
North.

You have to remember there is zero chance they are playing any of the big vic clubs in Launceston. For example there will be 75k at the G for their home match this weekend v the pies. As much as it’s unfair, there is zero, zilch chance that they pass up that gate to play Collingwood in Tasmania.
Same with Carlton or Essendon or Richmond. Geelong on Easter Monday is a marquee game so that won’t ever happen either.

Sounds like the AFL facilitate Hawthorn making more money by playing us there over Freo getting to play at the MCG.

This year it’s:
Gws
Freo
Saints
North.

The simple logic is neither WA team should ever play in Tasmania (until the Tassie team comes in of course). Between the SA, QLD, NSW teams and small Melbourne sides, there is more than enough other sides to work it out.

again if the CLUB doesnt want to do it . Just leave the Compeetetion

Life is simple. The club either makes money in WAFL and doestn Play AFL anymore.

or it plays AFL and traveld where ever they told to travel

The biggest will win out.

Simple
Yeah nah. But i will leave it at that.

Sounds like the AFL facilitate Hawthorn making more money by playing us there over Freo getting to play at the MCG.
Well they do. Of course.
But that’s not news for anyone.

What’s being lost on people is every team gets to lobby the afl for certain fixtures, us included. For example we look for a home Len Hall game every year.
We ask to play an Adelaide team before or after gather round. Things like that.

Where things could be more fair is looking into how often the SA, Qld and Sydney teams as well as WCE, play in Launceston. I haven’t looked that that. It shouldn’t be any more frequent than us.
This was our first Launceston game since 2021 from memory though. We played them at the G last year in R23 because the hawks had some kind of anniversary that weekend I think I recall.

My biggest fear is we will be playing the new Tassie side at York park more often than we should. They will surely play 2-3 a year up there.

Yes the reality of the AFL is we travel.
Our players aren’t robots. To say we just win because is not considering the human factor of what travel does to the body and the mind, particularly over an along season.
The extra travel burden of going to Launceston compared to Melbourne can not be ignored.
If we were playing Norths and we’d lost I’d be fuming, but Hawthorn have now won 8 of the last 10 and are in the top 3 for most of the metrics that indicate a team in great form.
The overreaction to a 13point away loss by some on this board is just ridiculous.

Perth to Tassie is what 30mins longer than a Victoria flight and we get a charter. Probably easier on the body to fly charter to Tasmania than commercial to Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth to Tassie is what 30mins longer than a Victoria flight and we get a charter. Probably easier on the body to fly charter to Tasmania than commercial to Melbourne.

I don’t know, for me it’s not just minutes in the air. There’s an element of familiarity / routine to the the Melbourne trip which becomes less taxing the more you do it. Same hotels, training venues etc. I would assume elite professional sport thrives on routine which would be more prevalent on an away trip to Melbourne vs Tassie (but yes, of course also the ability to adapt to different circumstances when they pop up is also supremely important).

(promise I’ll shut up about tas now 😂)

I don’t know, for me it’s not just minutes in the air. There’s an element of familiarity / routine to the the Melbourne trip which becomes less taxing the more you do it. Same hotels, training venues etc. I would assume elite professional sport thrives on routine which would be more prevalent on an away trip to Melbourne vs Tassie (but yes, of course also the ability to adapt to different circumstances when they pop up is also supremely important).

(promise I’ll shut up about tas now 😂)

Look I would have preferred to play in Melbourne as well but it's not like the old days where we had to get a fight to Melbourne then onto Tasmania. It's a direct charter flight, it's not the reason we lost.

This year it’s:
Gws
Freo
Saints
North.

Yeah nah. There are 12 other teams that could play there if you remove the WA teams and the big 4 vic teams that are all way closer to tas.

We've been told that Adam Simpson was informed there was zero chance of going on next season and it was at this point they mutually agreed to part ways.

This however may not be the case. I put it to you that he had a gutful of coaching a shit team. Don't believe me? Have a listen to this;

Last edited:
We've been told that Adam Simpson was told there was zero chance of going on next season and it was at this point they mutually agreed to part ways.

This however may not be the case. It maybe that he had a gutful of coaching a shit team. Don't believe me? Have a listen to this;

That is really ****en funny! 😂😂

yes, that's ok for the players

it's a less attractive option for supporters/members to fly to see Freo in Launceston than in Melbourne

We've been told that Adam Simpson was informed there was zero chance of going on next season and it was at this point they mutually agreed to part ways.

This however may not be the case. I put it to you that he had a gutful of coaching a shit team. Don't believe me? Have a listen to this;

I just about spat out my can of Solo lol

Yeah it sounds like he was decent, looking at his bio, no AA awards though. Perhaps a modern day equivalent would be Mihocek? . Maybe was that smirk as he disrespectfully dismissed Fremantle that irked me. Then again I should be used to it by now living in Melbourne.
The only way we will get proper respect is by winning a flag.
I'm with you. I'm definitely old enough to remember Russell Robertson. Loves the limelight, sings, acts, dances and appears on reality TV shows but definitely not so great a footballer that he can be disrespectful to our club. Even David King and Kane Cornes earned that right more and they're both complete shitgibbons.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back