Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan isn't getting bonus points from the AA panel because our forwards let the ball out too easily and it makes it harder for him to defend.

Hence our forwards have no impact on his AA selection so there's really no reason for you to have brought them up in the first place.
Right fwiw I see where this went pear shaped

I was having a go at the people on here potting him and I made that point that he has had to work extra hard to not only cover Cox and Pearce but our defenceless forwards don’t do him any favours

Somehow that got misinterpreted as to benefitting his AA selection

In summary - I like Ryan and don’t think he is shit

Last edited:

Game plan competed with the best, best Sydney and had us in the game against the rest of the top four.

It’s good enough. The players failure to execute and the coaching inability to find a way to close is a different matter.

I believe Mundy when he said not enough of them are invested enough. He'd know what that looks like for sure having been around forever and played in both dreadful and very good sides. He'd also know a bunch of the players well, including the ones that weren't at the level when he was there and clearly haven't risen yet.

Not sure you can force them. It would be a personal journey, they'll get there when they get there or not...

We needed a mature key defender to spoil, it took Draper playing out of his skin to barely beat Sydney. McDonald not doing his knee would have been huge for us. As would Darcy, as would Treacy.

Losing Pearce costs us 2 goals a game. Against port, Draper was out marked too easily 2 or 3 times. McDonald would stop most of them as well.
We are too undisciplined. We gave 2 goals up vs port, 2 goals vs GWS from 50's or off the ball frees.
We have no small forwards full stop. We badly need 3 or 4 players in our side who can turn half opportunities into goals, and kick goals from 30m out directly in front 9 times out of 10.

I think if we fix those 3 things, we are 3-4 goals better a game.

Pearce plays and Cox is that intercept. Pretty simple really. Injuries prevented the team from playing their best footy. Take Hogan, Briggs and Taylor out of GWS. Take Cameron and stewert out of Geelong. Take allir and Georgiadis out of Port, we've seen what happened when Carlton got injuries, take Siciliy and Meek out of Hoks, take Darcy and English out of dogs, take Andrews, O-Mac and Daniher out of Brisbane. Pop Treacy, Darcy and Pearce in that team ad they are sitting top 4 and King is silent.
Let's not forget most "experts" had Fremantle finishing bottom 5 before the season started. Now missing on finals in the last qrt of the season is under achieving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Pearce costs us 2 goals a game. Against port, Draper was out marked too easily 2 or 3 times. McDonald would stop most of them as well.
We are too undisciplined. We gave 2 goals up vs port, 2 goals vs GWS from 50's or off the ball frees.
We have no small forwards full stop. We badly need 3 or 4 players in our side who can turn half opportunities into goals, and kick goals from 30m out directly in front 9 times out of 10.

I think if we fix those 3 things, we are 3-4 goals better a game.

I'd argue it's not even the marks inside fifty that count, it's the no contest between the arcs allowing them to move the ball that we suffered most.

I believe Mundy when he said not enough of them are invested enough. He'd know what that looks like for sure having been around forever and played in both dreadful and very good sides. He'd also know a bunch of the players well, including the ones that weren't at the level when he was there and clearly haven't risen yet.

Not sure you can force them. It would be a personal journey, they'll get there when they get there or not...
I think most think they do, but I reckon those 3 in Brayshaw, Serong & Young will be letting others know they’re not & we’re not wasting this opportunity.
I’m glad we didn’t sneak into finals, this will burn a lot harder & open up some wounds that may not have been addressed.
A few individuals have been pointed out by the media as well, let’s see how they respond from coaches to players.
If Darcy doesn't respond I’d be amazed as he can’t keep having interrupted seasons with so much invested in him.

I'd argue it's not even the marks inside fifty that count, it's the no contest between the arcs allowing them to move the ball that we suffered most.

Yeah, that big during the Port game.

I would say there are 3 issues.
1. We let the opposition get an open man, allowing them to transition the ball easily
2. We can't get a man free, and are forced to kick down the line too often.
3. After Treacy went out, we struggled to mark the ball and let the opposition mark the ball too easily. Darcy, Jackson, Amiss all need to do more.

That’s the question, isn’t it? Andy and Caleb definite want it and are playing for the jumper, but can’t force people to care as much as them. They can only try to inspire and lead by example. For better or worse, people are motivated by different things and getting the most out of each one in a team requires leaders to approach each one in a different way.

I wonder if the issue is also because we seem to have leaders who are all of the same cloth. All our coaches seem to be nice guys. I know it’s out of favour, but maybe there is a role for a RTB fear-of-god type (although maybe not as extreme) who can balance it out. Or maybe the standards should be looked at that when you barely meet your kpi, there’s a limit on the number of games you’re given before you’re dropped to give the next man in a chance?

1. We let the opposition get an open man, allowing them to transition the ball easily
3. After Treacy went out, we struggled to mark the ball and let the opposition mark the ball too easily. Darcy, Jackson, Amiss all need to do more.

If Treacy, Jackson a Darcy are taking marks we will move the ball quickly, really quickly, because our players will know that they can play on immediately and if they are in trouble just kick to one of those three.

Right now there's no confidence, they'll kick to Switta and have more faith in a mark, so the ball is held up and slowed down and the opposition cover us up.

It's all marks between the arcs.

If Treacy, Jackson a Darcy are taking marks we will move the ball quickly, really quickly, because our players will know that they can play on immediately and if they are in trouble just kick to one of those three.

Right now there's no confidence, they'll kick to Switta and have more faith in a mark, so the ball is held up and slowed down and the opposition cover us up.

Still feel we need 2 forward pockets who can turn half opportunities into goals.

But having the key position players around them would help a lot. I wonder if having really good small forwards, make players nervous and stop them double teaming the key position players.

I think most think they do, but I reckon those 3 in Brayshaw, Serong & Young will be letting others know they’re not & we’re not wasting this opportunity.
I’m glad we didn’t sneak into finals, this will burn a lot harder & open up some wounds that may not have been addressed.
A few individuals have been pointed out by the media as well, let’s see how they respond from coaches to players.
If Darcy doesn't respond I’d be amazed as he can’t keep having interrupted seasons with so much invested in him.

I have no doubt those 3 and Treacy (at a minimum) would be all over their teammates. But at the end of the day, nobody can make that change but the players themselves.

Horse to water etc.

That’s the question, isn’t it? Andy and Caleb definite want it and are playing for the jumper, but can’t force people to care as much as them. They can only try to inspire and lead by example. For better or worse, people are motivated by different things and getting the most out of each one in a team requires leaders to approach each one in a different way.

I wonder if the issue is also because we seem to have leaders who are all of the same cloth. All our coaches seem to be nice guys. I know it’s out of favour, but maybe there is a role for a RTB fear-of-god type (although maybe not as extreme) who can balance it out. Or maybe the standards should be looked at that when you barely meet your kpi, there’s a limit on the number of games you’re given before you’re dropped to give the next man in a chance?

I have no idea what would work and I'm guessing nobody else does either given this is hardly isolated to just Freo.

King is full of shit. The gameplan is fine, it's down to execution now. We had the same amount of scoring shots that Port did, let that sink in. Our execution with ball in hand (and pressure the other way) was poor, nothing to do with hogging the ball or going too slow.
He is also falling back on what he was crowing about in the first 7 or so games of the season. Had nothing to do with our finish to the season.

Yeah and Fyfe disappeared as an option to help out in the middle of the ground as a target. Not sure why. Jackson really poor when in the ruck at providing more of an option.

King is a clown, our game plan stands up for a majority of games against the best. We have lost these games by 2 or 3 goals max and it comes down to execution at critical times. If it didn't stand up we would be uncompetitive.

Amiss at times made Zerk-Thatcher look like an All Australian. He has to compete harder to not allow intercept marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back