Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

King is full of shit. The gameplan is fine, it's down to execution now. We had the same amount of scoring shots that Port did, let that sink in. Our execution with ball in hand (and pressure the other way) was poor, nothing to do with hogging the ball or going too slow.
He is also falling back on what he was crowing about in the first 7 or so games of the season. Had nothing to do with our finish to the season.
We are
10th for pressure acts
13th for tackles I50
13th for Rebound 50s
15th for tackles

We not only can't dish it, we also can't take it. Our gameplan crumbles under pressure. We can't win a premiership playing this way.

We are
10th for pressure acts
13th for tackles I50
13th for Rebound 50s
15th for tackles

We not only can't dish it, we also can't take it. Our gameplan crumbles under pressure. We can't win a premiership playing this way.
We can't win without increasing our pressure. The with the ball stuff is fine.

We are
10th for pressure acts
13th for tackles I50
13th for Rebound 50s
15th for tackles

So adding some more speed around the ball (mid and forward) which will help tackling pressure. Which in turn leads into more chance of turnover up the ground (pressure on the disposal).

Added fitness and an extra year of development (to do it all for longer).

Will likely turn some of those close losses into wins?

We are
10th for pressure acts
13th for tackles I50
13th for Rebound 50s
15th for tackles

Yes but our pressure last year and the year before was fine. This year it has dropped, that's not the game plan that's the players.

So adding some more speed around the ball (mid and forward) which will help tackling pressure. Which in turn leads into more chance of turnover up the ground (pressure on the disposal).

Added fitness and an extra year of development (to do it all for longer).

Will likely turn some of those close losses into wins?
I would argue a minimum amount of development with such a young core list would turn some of our close losses into wins. Across the season take 2 points off conceded and add 7 points on scored we're 3 or 4 wins better off right?

Process wise though we'd still be short of being a top team. If we had won say the Essendon and first Port games by virtue of 1 kick being straighter across the whole game, would that make us a better side? Sure we'd have a chance of fluking a flag by virtue of finishing 7th, but metrics wise the odds would be we'd not get past week 2 of the finals. The other sides would be too much better.

Now we may well become a top 4 side with further development without adding a single top echelon player, but given this will probably involve more than minimum development, why leave it to chance? We've been given a once in a generation opportunity, with so many top talent players all being young meaning all that is required with the list is improving positions rather than filling in key holes, but it's not going to just happen!

I would argue a minimum amount of development with such a young core list would turn some of our close losses into wins. Across the season take 2 points off conceded and add 7 points on scored we're 3 or 4 wins better off right?

Process wise though we'd still be short of being a top team. If we had won say the Essendon and first Port games by virtue of 1 kick being straighter across the whole game, would that make us a better side? Sure we'd have a chance of fluking a flag by virtue of finishing 7th, but metrics wise the odds would be we'd not get past week 2 of the finals. The other sides would be too much better.

Now we may well become a top 4 side with further development without adding a single top echelon player, but given this will probably involve more than minimum development, why leave it to chance? We've been given a once in a generation opportunity, with so many top talent players all being young meaning all that is required with the list is improving positions rather than filling in key holes, but it's not going to just happen!
So the first bit.

Add in more speed around the ball mid and forward. aka Bolton

So the first bit.

Add in more speed around the ball mid and forward. aka Bolton
I think our pressure will improve with maturity and cohesion and adding the odd B grader to replace C graders like Banners. Core player wise all we need are a couple more players who win more general play contests then they lose.

In an ideal world you'd replace Fyfe with big bodied star mid or a top defensively orientated mid who also defends well on transition as well, but you can only work with what is available. Our current mids even with Fyfe pensioned off will be fine so long as we are strong in the ruck.

I think our pressure will improve with maturity and cohesion and adding the odd B grader to replace C graders like Banners. Core player wise all we need are a couple more players who win more general play contests then they lose.

In an ideal world you'd replace Fyfe with big bodied star mid or a top defensively orientated mid who also defends well on transition as well, but you can only work with what is available. Our current mids even with Fyfe pensioned off will be fine so long as we are strong in the ruck.

Fyfe, Walters, Aish, JOM and Banfield played 100 games between them. (On average over 4 of them played every week)

JOM is only one that is probably locked in the best 23 next year, but I don't think we have the players in the WAFL ready to replace the others.

How do we improve our depth?

Fyfe, Walters, Aish, JOM and Banfield played 100 games between them. (On average over 4 of them played every week)

JOM is only one that is probably locked in the best 23 next year, but I don't think we have the players in the WAFL ready to replace the others.

How do we improve our depth?
State League players + ??????? = Profit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway what I mean is we're likely to have make a couple of Zerk-Thatcher / Ratugolea type trades over the next two off seasons on top of any, or if, top players we manage to land, to balance off the list. I.E. B graders you have to overpay for.
Riley Garcia, Richard’s, that sort

Riley Garcia, Richard’s, that sort

20-30 goal small forwards, who can bring pressure.

Joe Richards looks good. 15.5 from 7 games in the VFL.

I can see why a few teams are keen on him, but surely he would prefer to play for us over Port as we he will have little competition for a best 22 spot.

Here is his 6 goal game vs Brisbane reserves. All small forward goals, 4 on his left, 2 on his right.

1724738604250.png

20-30 goal small forwards, who can bring pressure.

Joe Richards looks good. 15.5 from 7 games in the VFL.

I can see why a few teams are keen on him, but surely he would prefer to play for us over Port as we he will have little competition for a best 22 spot.

Here is his 6 goal game vs Brisbane reserves. All small forward goals, 4 on his left, 2 on his right.

View attachment 2093627
Surely go a bit harder at Richard’s now that Baker is off the table?

We can shit on King all we like (as we should) but he's been proven right about us this year, pretty much most of what he's said about us has been true.
No it wasn't. He said we won't win playing that chip mark. Called it a false brand. We stopped doing that 3 months ago.

If he had said, "I am glad they stopped with the false brand and although they didn't get the results at least they are trying to play a method that can stand up" - that would have been internally consistent.

Didn't even mention the compete lack of pressure we apply which is the obvious reason we can't defend good teams. He's fingernail deep (specifically champion data high level stats deep) and its obvious if you've paid attention.

No it wasn't. He said we won't win playing that chip mark. Called it a false brand. We stopped doing that 3 months ago.

If he had said, I am glad they stopped with the false brand and although they didn't get the results at least they are trying to play a method that can stand up - that would have been internally consistent.

Didn't even mention the compete lack of pressure we apply. He's fingernail deep (specifically champion data high level stats deep) and its obvious if you've paid attention.
Oh well fair enough then, comment rescinded.

I don't mind King ducks for cover.
I don't mind him sometime when it's obvious he's done the work. Even Cornes is good sometimes and they have good chemistry as a radio pair.

But like all experts, they simply don't do enough work on each team to be able to do high quality analysis all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back