Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think so, or someone similar to him.

I think he is a different type of player to Winder or even Bolton, as he is a pure small forward.

Is he? I can't say I have seen much of him but when he played v Fremantle in the draw I wouldn't say that was a pure small forward role. He was excellent in that game though.

Hoyne from Champion Data was quite concerned that Freo relied very heavily on clearance dominance to beat opposition. The gold standard according to Hoyne is Points differential from turnover. We had a patch during the year where we got this part of our game going before it all fell to shit.

I think that's what King is talking about. But we never had a premiership profile according to Champion Data, so King is correct to question the game plan.

Is he? I can't say I have seen much of him but when he played v Fremantle in the draw I wouldn't say that was a pure small forward role. He was excellent in that game though.

In his VFL highlights I have seen that is how he looked. Although it was just highlights.

Definitely gets front and center of the contest very well, and looks to have some pace.

In his VFL highlights I have seen that is how he looked. Although it was just highlights.

Definitely gets front and center of the contest very well, and looks to have some pace.

I liked what I saw when he played us but it seemed more of the Banfield role rather than a pure small forward. I would take him regardless but don't think it's a realistic chance given what Port are rumored to be offering years wise.

Hoyne from Champion Data was quite concerned that Freo relied very heavily on clearance dominance to beat opposition. The gold standard according to Hoyne is Points differential from turnover. We had a patch during the year where we got this part of our game going before it all fell to shit.

I think that's what King is talking about. But we never had a premiership profile according to Champion Data, so King is correct to question the game plan.
No, its not what he's talking about at all.

Our turnover game, especially in the 2nd half of the year was great. We were top 4 up until round 18 or so (I don't know where we finished).

Hoyne said (and I agree) that we're too easy to move the ball against. You can see this when we play. Even the Dees when we smashed them in Perth scored a bunch of goals on transition like this. No arguments this is a problem and I think it has a heap to do with the lack of pressure all over the ground and especially in the forwardline.

But that's not what King talked about at the start of the year. His bugbear was the gamestyle and we changed it. Doing so opened us up to ball movement. So the change he wanted caused this issue.

He has never (that I have heard) admitted that was why, suggested a reason for it (the obvious one being we're a terrible pressure team) or provided a method to rectify it. Literally all he has said is "core 4" bla bla I was right.

It's junk analysis.

I agree. You can't expect to dominate that every game.

No, its not what he's talking about at all.

Our turnover game, especially in the 2nd half of the year was great. We were top 4 up until round 18 or so (I don't know where we finished).

Hoyne said (and I agree) that we're too easy to move the ball against. You can see this when we play. Even the Dees when we smashed them in Perth scored a bunch of goals on transition like this. No arguments this is a problem and I think it has a heap to do with the lack of pressure all over the ground and especially in the forwardline.

But that's not what King talked about at the start of the year. His bugbear was the gamestyle and we changed it. Doing so opened us up to ball movement. So the change he wanted caused this issue.

He has never (that I have heard) admitted that was why, suggested a reason for it (the obvious one being we're a terrible pressure team) or provided a method to rectify it. Literally all he has said is "core 4" bla bla I was right.

It's junk analysis.

It's sacrilege to say around here but I wouldn't be shocked if West Coast ~2018 is the blueprint Longmuir's working from. Granted he was at Collingwood that year but played a fair role in the development of that West Coast side in the 2010s.

I'm being pretty reductive but they were a hyper efficient team that took advantage of a tall, dynamic forward line with good connection from the midfield (+ an AA McGovern holding things together down back). If memory serves, they weren't a renowned pressure or stoppage side.

Not saying it's the right approach by any means, or that we're capable of producing it enough to win a flag. More just an observation after watching us during some of the 'better' periods this year.

We literally played without our

No he's not because it's our execution after we get the ball and go forward. Just look at our games, full of fumbles, limp handballs, bad decision making and all going forward. I lost count how many opportunities we squandered even outnumbering the opposition. Our gameplan gets the ball back plenty.

Fremantle in the market for new AFL player development manager as the Dockers Seek to take the next step​

Headshot of Jake Santa Maria
Jake Santa MariaThe West Australian
Tue, 27 August 2024 3:09PM
Comments
Jake Santa Maria

Fremantle Dockers are searching for a new player development manager.
Fremantle Dockers are searching for a new player development manager. Credit: Justin Benson-Cooper/The West Australian

For Fremantle fans who believe they can do a better job to help the Dockers take the next step, now could be your chance, as the club casts the net far and wide for a new AFL player development manager on Seek.
After a season of almost but not quite good enough, the club was quick to post for the position, putting the ad up less than 24 hours after their finals hopes were officially dashed by Port Adelaide on Sunday.
It came after former South Fremantle premiership winner Ray Smithers departed the role.

Fremantle - which the ad specifies are also known as the “Freo Dockers” - are looking for someone to help support the personal and professional development of players.
That will include heading up a Player Development Program focusing on building a career both inside and outside of footy while also helping players transition into and out of the club.
The potential hire will also be responsible for coordinating the “Freo Family” program to help build the connection with players partners and families to the club.
Fremantle chief executive [PLAYERCARD]Simon Garlick[/PLAYERCARD] has promised to be as aggressive at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish showed the need to add more class to the list.

exclusive
AFLFreo promise to go ‘hard’ at trade targets to improve list​

Craig O'Donoghue

[PLAYERCARD]Sean Darcy[/PLAYERCARD] keeps getting hurt.

AFLDockers setting plan for how to get Sean Darcy healthy again​

Craig O'Donoghue

The Game AFL 2024

Candidates must have a tertiary qualification or higher in education, social science, health, psychology/counselling or similar and be willing to work on weekends and complete an AFL Sports Ready Professional Certificate in player development and wellbeing.
In return for your efforts, the Dockers are promising a “competitive” but undisclosed salary as well as season passes and free car parking to go with other bonuses.
Applications are only open for the next two weeks and must be submitted through Seek.

Fremantle in the market for new AFL player development manager as the Dockers Seek to take the next step​

Comments
Jake Santa Maria

Fremantle Dockers are searching for a new player development manager. Credit: Justin Benson-Cooper/The West Australian

For Fremantle fans who believe they can do a better job to help the Dockers take the next step, now could be your chance, as the club casts the net far and wide for a new AFL player development manager on Seek.
After a season of almost but not quite good enough, the club was quick to post for the position, putting the ad up less than 24 hours after their finals hopes were officially dashed by Port Adelaide on Sunday.
It came after former South Fremantle premiership winner Ray Smithers departed the role.

Fremantle - which the ad specifies are also known as the “Freo Dockers” - are looking for someone to help support the personal and professional development of players.
That will include heading up a Player Development Program focusing on building a career both inside and outside of footy while also helping players transition into and out of the club.
The potential hire will also be responsible for coordinating the “Freo Family” program to help build the connection with players partners and families to the club.
Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish showed the need to add more class to the list.

exclusive

AFLFreo promise to go ‘hard’ at trade targets to improve list

Craig O'Donoghue
Sean Darcy keeps getting hurt.

AFLDockers setting plan for how to get Sean Darcy healthy again

Craig O'Donoghue

The Game AFL 2024

Candidates must have a tertiary qualification or higher in education, social science, health, psychology/counselling or similar and be willing to work on weekends and complete an AFL Sports Ready Professional Certificate in player development and wellbeing.
In return for your efforts, the Dockers are promising a “competitive” but undisclosed salary as well as season passes and free car parking to go with other bonuses.
Applications are only open for the next two weeks and must be submitted through Seek.
Geez, the club will be inundated with applications from posters here on BF.
A lotta experts on here.
LOL.
Already, though he is not with us yet, Shai Bolton is copping the gut kicking .

Last edited:

Comments
Jake Santa Maria

Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish showed the need to add more class to the list.

exclusive

AFLFreo promise to go ‘hard’ at trade targets to improve list

Craig O'Donoghue
Sean Darcy keeps getting hurt.

AFLDockers setting plan for how to get Sean Darcy healthy again

Craig O'Donoghue

The Game AFL 2024

I don't have the experience (well something slightly related) or those qualifications, but I would 100% apply for this if I lived in Perth.

Then I'd leak bulk rumours here and get fired after 1 trade period/draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Pearce costs us 2 goals a game. Against port, Draper was out marked too easily 2 or 3 times. McDonald would stop most of them as well.
We are too undisciplined. We gave 2 goals up vs port, 2 goals vs GWS from 50's or off the ball frees.
We have no small forwards full stop. We badly need 3 or 4 players in our side who can turn half opportunities into goals, and kick goals from 30m out directly in front 9 times out of 10.

I think if we fix those 3 things, we are 3-4 goals better a game.
Means we would have won 8 more games this season?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would like him, but he not fitting in at the crows.

Not sure why. Some talk is that don't like his arrogant attitude.

Could be his defensive work. Who knows
Yes I’ve heard some rumblings he might want out

Perfect for us , I couldn’t care less if he’s arrogant as long as he kicks goals .
He can tend to shirk the contest at times though .

Pretty bullshit the carry on they put him through over the Showdown fiasco

That said , if any of the big Vic clubs showed any interest he’d be there in a flash, seems like that type that loves the limelight

Last edited:
Apart from all the above his has started squibbing contests. All of a sudden he has become incredibly timid and soft.
Doesn't want to put his body on the line for a club that throws him under the bus maybe? If they're talking out against him publicly I can only imagine there's a lot going on behind the scenes too.

Doesn't want to put his body on the line for a club that throws him under the bus maybe? If they're talking out against him publicly I can only imagine there's a lot going on behind the scenes too.
That was a long time before that. He has been doing it all year. Maybe even last year, i can't quite recall. I was quite shocked.

That was a long time before that. He has been doing it all year. Maybe even last year, i can't quite recall. I was quite shocked.
He'd still be a massive asset for our team. There's no way he stays with Adelaide long term with the way they treated him. I'd like him here over some Victorian club where he becomes just another Ginni type that's insufferable.

He'd still be a massive asset for our team. There's no way he stays with Adelaide long term with the way they treated him. I'd like him here over some Victorian club where he becomes just another Ginni type that's insufferable.
You are very selective. If one of our guys squibbed contests like he has been doing, you would go mental.

You are very selective. If one of our guys squibbed contests like he has been doing, you would go mental.
You're talking about him vs the other players on our list in the same position. You can't tell me you don't think he'd be an upgrade on Walters and Emmett? He can squib contests if he kicks 35 goals as a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back