Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Forced merger with another small Melbourne club

I don’t think people understand yet how diabolically shit a 19 team comp will be

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
An odd number of teams or 19 specifically?

Byes would suck and they'd be less than nine games more than people think. The AFL won't like that - less games per week on average = less money.

An odd number of teams or 19 specifically?

Byes would suck and they'd be less than nine games more than people think. The AFL won't like that - less games per week on average = less money.
Yep, moving to a 20 team comp is pretty inevitable now, surprised we haven’t heard more about it.
Relocating north doesn’t help the odd number of teams issue so don’t really see the need now. NT or Canberra are to obvious selections but for financial reasons it may be better to introduce a viable 3rd WA team and move north to NT.

I maintain that the AFL should publicly declare that the Melbourne team with the worst membership, performance etc in three years is deleted, or the worst two merged.

Gold Coast could end up merged into the Kangaroos and they can be known as the North Melbourne Kanagroos from now on.

I maintain that the AFL should publicly declare that the Melbourne team with the worst membership, performance etc in three years is deleted, or the worst two merged.

Gold Coast could end up merged into the Kangaroos and they can be known as the North Melbourne Kanagroos from now on.
Do you mean the northern Roos?

Do you mean the northern Roos?

I mean just pretend the GC experiment didn't happen and make their fans feel like it still exists but it's gone.

I would like to see the business case for retention, how much has AFL viewership grown aside from Brisbane in QLD etc.

I mean just pretend the GC experiment didn't happen and make their fans feel like it still exists but it's gone.

I would like to see the business case for retention, how much has AFL viewership grown aside from Brisbane in QLD etc.

If my memory serves me well the Greek offered North approx $300 mil to relocate to Gold Coast and Brayshaw rejected it.

Late edit: it was $100 million lump sum and a higher amount over time.

Last edited:
I'm actually all for a third WA team, especially if it's a country-style South West team based in Bunbury/Busselton. I just think they've missed the ideal window, if they'd gotten the wheels turning a few years ago so they could have come in while WCE were struggling, that would have been the best result for WA footy.

I'm actually all for a third WA team, especially if it's a country-style South West team based in Bunbury/Busselton. I just think they've missed the ideal window, if they'd gotten the wheels turning a few years ago so they could have come in while WCE were struggling, that would have been the best result for WA footy.
That requires work from the FTE at the WAFC and they most certainly can't be doing any of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back