Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because there's more people in Perth, doesn't mean the people of Perth are suddenly going to give a shit. A third of the Perth football market isn't just going to think "guess I'll go for the Perth Panthers now".

When we came in, we had a reason to exist (beyond the Vic's wanting to stifle West Coast.) We were a representation of a traditionally strong area in WA football heritage, a strong alternative for those who didn't like the plastic feel of the Eagles.

As I've said previously, I'm not pitching 'Bunbury' as the third team, the ground just needs to be based somewhere. The team would represent the likes of Bunbury, Margaret River, Esperance, Albany, practically any town in that region. A trip to Bunbury might be a bit more palatable for people in that region, it also provides a great boon to tourism in that area any time they play a WA side and some people choose to head down for the weekend.

The pitch isn't "**** me, isn't Bunbury shit-hot" - it's for another country football team, something different.

What area of Perth would you base a third Perth team in and where are the fans coming from?
Fans will come from WC spillage. They have no spare seats and a 10-15k waiting list, that is probably dwindling with their ladder position.

There will be fans of that club who hate Freo but will happily switch to a new team if it hits the mark. WC seem to be cooking their rebuild too so if the new team came in 2029 or 30, I’m not convinced they will be playing finals yet.

Fans will come from WC spillage. They have no spare seats and a 10-15k waiting list, that is probably dwindling with their ladder position.

There will be fans of that club who hate Freo but will happily switch to a new team if it hits the mark. WC seem to be cooking their rebuild too so if the new team came in 2029 or 30, I’m not convinced they will be playing finals yet.
Even as rubbish as their list is, by the time a third WA team comes in they'll be back on their feet. I do agree there's the potential for some crossover if the branding is done well, but I don't think it would be anything more than what you'd get for a south-west country team. There's also the potential for us to lose fans if we blow our shot this decade and people lose patience, which is a much bigger problem for us than it is for West Coast.

Even as rubbish as their list is, by the time a third WA team comes in they'll be back on their feet. I do agree there's the potential for some crossover if the branding is done well, but I don't think it would be anything more than what you'd get for a south-west country team. There's also the potential for us to lose fans if we blow our shot this decade and people lose patience, which is a much bigger problem for us than it is for West Coast.
We are growing organically with the Perth population though & haven’t even hit our straps yet with finals. We will be sold out in a few years I predict.

There will then be no spare seats in WA and the AFL will have to cater to the market with a 3rd team around 2030, hopefully they don’t try to move the Roos.

In that time, the Perth Population will grow by more than double the actual population of Bunbury. Why have another hand out team that no one wants the extra travel too when you can slot in a cash cow?

We are growing organically with the Perth population though & haven’t even hit our straps yet with finals. We will be sold out in a few years I predict.

There will then be no spare seats in WA and the AFL will have to cater to the market with a 3rd team around 2030, hopefully they don’t try to move the Roos.

In that time, the Perth Population will grow by more than double the actual population of Bunbury. Why have another hand out team that no one wants the extra travel too when you can slot in a cash cow?
I don't see it as a hand-out team, I see it as an investment team. Geelong regularly pulled around 30k and only recently upgraded their capacity to 40k. I don't see why you couldn't build a modest stadium for say 20k with plans to expand to 30k in later years.

You still haven't pitched any real identity for this team yet, are you just chucking it in Joondalup?

They are not ever going to put a team in regional WA ever. They won't give Darwin a team ever either (unless it's subsidised) and that has double the population of WA's biggest regional town and the loyalty of the rest of the Territory and its expats to draw on.

Mandurah struggles to support a WAFL team relative to the city sides with its smaller population and you are suggesting an AFL team for an even smaller town? I know it's easy to shoot people down on a forum but this idea is a straight up no go.

I don't see it as a hand-out team, I see it as an investment team. Geelong regularly pulled around 30k and only recently upgraded their capacity to 40k. I don't see why you couldn't build a modest stadium for say 20k with plans to expand to 30k in later years.

You still haven't pitched any real identity for this team yet, are you just chucking it in Joondalup?
Geelong is bigger than Hobart. It's got more people than the entire South West, the Wheatbelt and the Great Southern combined easily, and that's without factoring in all fans it draws from the immediate regional areas and from Melbourne.

They are not ever going to put a team in regional WA ever. They won't give Darwin a team ever either (unless it's subsidised) and that has double the population of WA's biggest regional town and the loyalty of the rest of the Territory and its expats to draw on.

Mandurah struggles to support a WAFL team relative to the city sides with its smaller population and you are suggesting an AFL team for an even smaller town? I know it's easy to shoot people down on a forum but this idea is a straight up no go.
The population isn't the only obstacle with Darwin, though. There's the high temperatures that are difficult to deal with at the best of times, stuff that pre-season. The extra travel is another factor, yes WA3 means more travel for the Vic's anyway, but I think even they'd rather travel down to Bunbury than play in Darwin on a yearly(ish) basis. Who are they going to attract as mature talent? They'd be majorly hamstrung with who they could attract, we may not be drowning in options ourselves but there'd still be more players looking to get home than in Darwin.

I'm not saying my suggestion is likely, but I do think it's a better long-term idea than Perth#3 and far more feasible than Darwin, at least you're not starting from square-one here.

Ladies, allow me to present the Midland-Guildford Methghouls, the mighty hollow-eyed avatar of all that the eastern suburbs bring to the party. (At which party, they drink everything, try to **** the dog and then pass out near the pool.)

Let West Coast have the north. We’ll have the south. And the Ghouls can - briefly but ever so vibrantly - light up the east.

From Bullsbrook to Armadale and all that lays fallow at their feet, the mighty Meths will, obviously only playing at night, fight for the right to party, own a JetSki and think Trump is right. He just says what he thinks.

Sponsored by Cash Converters and Ford Ranger.

The Ghouls. They fly in, they fly out, whatever you do, dont **** about.

Joondalup or somewhere in that northern corridor is the most logical choice. There'll definitely be plenty will have double allegiances (overwhelmingly current/future Eagles fans), with them becoming more sole Joondalup Jimmy's as they ride the magical mystery tour ups and downs of a few seasons.

Ladies, allow me to present the Midland-Guildford Methghouls, the mighty hollow-eyed avatar of all that the eastern suburbs bring to the party. (At which party, they drink everything, try to **** the dog and then pass out near the pool.)

Let West Coast have the north. We’ll have the south. And the Ghouls can - briefly but ever so vibrantly - light up the east.

From Bullsbrook to Armadale and all that lays fallow at their feet, the mighty Meths will, obviously only playing at night, fight for the right to party, own a JetSki and think Trump is right. He just says what he thinks.

Sponsored by Cash Converters and Ford Ranger.

The Ghouls. They fly in, they fly out, whatever you do, dont **** about.
The WC will definitely try to be everywhere choice, but they'd least like letting go of the (north) western suburbs I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox news

FREMANTLE - FLAG CONTENDER

After a sharp rise in output in 2022, the Dockers have since teased fans and experts of their best football for two seasons straight. And subsequently, coach Justin Longmuir is under the pump. Though still without a flag after their 30 seasons in the AFL, Fremantle will inevitably make a run for a maiden premiership in coming years - and as soon as 2025. The spine of Longmuir’s team is immaculate and filled with players either yet to enter, or currently in their prime years. With Josh Treacy on the brink of becoming a star and the duo of Caleb Serong and Andrew Brayshaw only getting stronger, is there a ceiling on what the Dockers could achieve next year? We don’t think so.

They just love being flogs for the sake of it. "The Dockers used three first-round draft picks to secure Bolton..." sigh. Thanks for the article otherwise :D
Media is really running that narrative arent they...

Looking forward to hearing from Cornes after Bolton has a quiet game. "They signed him up for 5 years on 1.1 mill and he cost them 3 first rounders..."

Media is really running that narrative arent they...

Looking forward to hearing from Cornes after Bolton has a quiet game. "They signed him up for 5 years on 1.1 mill and he cost them 3 first rounders..."

And on the flip side, if Bolton kicks 5 and has 30 touches.

"That's the minimum you'd expect from someone who cost 3 first rounders"

There is no way known that the AFL will try for a third team out of WA.
Even the WAFC would baulk at that idea.They now have two geese laying golden eggs.
They bucked like crazy that Fremantle was going to take away the golden goose.
There will be a 20th team , but wont be from WA.
Even the Territory would be a bridge too far.
But, let's face it, the best way to progress the AFL, would be to remove a number of VFL clubs. But we all know that and we all know that that wont happen.

There is no way known that the AFL will try for a third team out of WA.
Even the WAFC would baulk at that idea.They now have two geese laying golden eggs.
They bucked like crazy that Fremantle was going to take away the golden goose.
There will be a 20th team , but wont be from WA.
Even the Territory would be a bridge too far.
But, let's face it, the best way to progress the AFL, would be to remove a number of VFL clubs. But we all know that and we all know that that wont happen.
Duffield interviewed someone from WAFC, and he pretty said no.

That don't want to turn two strong teams, into 3 weak teams.

Makes sense, especially as a new team generally struggle on the field for 5+ years. They would need the AFL to guarantee a lot of draft incentives, to make it worth while.

Duffield interviewed someone from WAFC, and he pretty said no.

That don't want to turn two strong teams, into 3 weak teams.

Makes sense, especially as a new team generally struggle on the field for 5+ years. They would need the AFL to guarantee a lot of draft incentives, to make it worth while.
The trail of real football talent is drying up with more and more teams.Like a glass of cordial, the more water you add, the weaker the drink.
Less teams make for better players .Also less AFL teams, make for stronger second tier competitons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back