Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The trail of real football talent is drying up with more and more teams.Like a glass of cordial, the more water you add, the weaker the drink.
Less teams make for better players .Also less AFL teams, make for stronger second tier competitons.
Theoretically, a finite pool of talent is totally expandable, so we can work against the finiteness of it, reducing dilution. It's opportunity x resources (plus efficiency & effectiveness).

With a new team, especially if they have a heavy requirement (plus equivalent budget allowance) for development of talent there will be an increase in equipped talent over if you didn't bring in that new team. Add competition, that every team is involved in, it'll likely speed up that development. Granted it will still take time.

So the investment needs to be more than just setting up one team. They really need to be committed to increasing the talent pool and apply plenty of creativity and a wide scope with a good clear eyed realisation of what exactly that commitment involves.

Theoretically, a finite pool of talent is totally expandable, so we can work against the finiteness of it, reducing dilution. It's opportunity x resources (plus efficiency & effectiveness).

With a new team, especially if they have a heavy requirement (plus equivalent budget allowance) for development of talent there will be an increase in equipped talent over if you didn't bring in that new team. Add competition, that every team is involved in, it'll likely speed up that development. Granted it will still take time.

So the investment needs to be more than just setting up one team. They really need to be committed to increasing the talent pool and apply plenty of creativity and a wide scope with a good clear eyed realisation of what exactly that commitment involves.
Building stronger second tier competitions will make the game stronger, and that only happens if they lessen the number of VFL clubs.
I know most kids that go to the draft are from junior clubs, or private schools comps. But with second tier clubs being boosted by better players, the entire Aussie rules family will grow stronger.
Less makes better.

Building stronger second tier competitions will make the game stronger, and that only happens if they lessen the number of VFL clubs.
I know most kids that go to the draft are from junior clubs, or private schools comps. But with second tier clubs being boosted by better players, the entire Aussie rules family will grow stronger.
Less makes better.
You don't have to lessen the clubs necessarily, you just have more particular requirements for accessing the upper leagues (eg alignment with a club in the next league up, healthy surplus of cash and demonstrable ways to sustain it). The excess numbers will take care of themselves.

But yeauss... it'd be much simpler (and likely healthier for the evenness of the comp) if there is a significant reduction in Vic teams in the AFL.

You don't have to lessen the clubs necessarily, you just have more particular requirements for accessing the upper leagues (eg alignment with a club in the next league up, healthy surplus of cash and demonstrable ways to sustain it). The excess numbers will take care of themselves.

But yeauss... it'd be much simpler (and likely healthier for the evenness of the comp) if there is a significant reduction in Vic teams in the AFL.
And, there are a few VFL clubs still feeding off the AFL, but all claiming they are standing on their own two feet.
Only have to look at the Dees, Spoon fed to win a flag. But still in trouble.Many of their lower teams from the VFL are still strugglers.
Rid the competiton of them and the standard improves.The best go to other clubs, the rest feed back out to the second tier, country footy, Ams etc.
But the chance of that happening was dead and buried when WA rushed intot the sruggling broks VFL.

Less makes better.
Wouldn't less spots immediately result in a smaller talent pool? Why would the junior athlete choose the sport with less chance of being selected and less money. I thought AFL already suffers from having one of the lower ultimate salaries out of soccer, cricket, basketball, tennis, rugby union.

Wouldn't less spots immediately result in a smaller talent pool? Why would the junior athlete choose the sport with less chance of being selected and less money. I thought AFL already suffers from having one of the lower ultimate salaries out of soccer, cricket, basketball, tennis, rugby union.
I wouldn't think so.
Young players will still try out regardless.Yes it may make it harder for them,but they will stick. And there is always the stronger second tier to fall back on as young kids where they can improve their game.
Used to happen back pre Eagles. They drained our WAFL with mature experienced players.So much to the detriment of Aussie rules all over.

I'm not sure how much the $$ impacts kids choices. I wonder if there are more sports people getting paid >$200K in AFL than any other sport in Oz?

Armadale Armadillos or GTFO
Yeah get the team set up in Armadale or Maddington (Maddington Maulers) just so we have a team of absolute mongrels, love the idea I might even buy a second membership.

In all seriousness, I never considered a third WA team a reality but we have just tipped over 3 million people and growing at the fastest rate in Australia, so actually makes sense.

If WA3 were to happen then the Southern Sharks is the only option IMO. Another team in Perth just doesn't make sense

Margaret River/Busselton is a fast growing area and the airport services the east coast without needing to go through Perth. Stadium wouldn't have to be huge, think Geelong or Tasmania.

Would also be good to have another team which challenges Geelong in the farm life aspect.

South West makes sense.

Play half at optus, half at the boutique stadium in the south.

Gives another ground for a future "WA escape" round (Gather round). Fly straight into Busselton, gives a good reason to extend/improve the train line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back