Remove this Banner Ad

Mihocek
McStay
Begg
Steene
Howe
Murphy

All injured/retired (Murphy)

Even Kreuger only just came back from injury and Dean is playing his first games in 2 years. Both could fall again at a moments notice.

If we don't grab a tall in the MSD then there's something wrong with us

I like Trey, but I'll put it this way Spinny. Is Trey going to play as a tall in the AFL? A small? A rebounder? Whats his AFL role going to be?
I reckon it was more Ruscoe v Ryan in the role they’d be likely to play and Ryan has the more appealing traits, such as having some pace and aerial ability, and seemed to be trending upward of Ruscoe last season.

It’s all a moot point really since Ruscoe was never likely to be a best 22 player in Fly’s system.

I reckon it was more Ruscoe v Ryan in the role they’d be likely to play and Ryan has the more appealing traits, such as having some pace and aerial ability, and seemed to be trending upward of Ruscoe last season.

It’s all a moot point really since Ruscoe was never likely to be a best 22 player in Fly’s system.
I’d say Ruscoe is a decent chance to be taken by us in the MSD. Hasn’t set the world on fire in the WAFL but our 2s are s**t and he does look a level above state league. In a good team with a good system I think he’d be more than serviceable, as you say question is would he fit into yours?

I like Trey, but I'll put it this way Spinny. Is Trey going to play as a tall in the AFL? A small? A rebounder? Whats his AFL role going to be?
He’s versatile enough to play all roles that Dean can play except interceptor which is the point of difference I highlighted, and the reason I suspect Dean was preferred.

Ruscoe’s Anzac Day game last year when replacing Murphy was very good.

I’d say Ruscoe is a decent chance to be taken by us in the MSD. Hasn’t set the world on fire in the WAFL but our 2s are s**t and he does look a level above state league. In a good team with a good system I think he’d be more than serviceable, as you say question is would he fit into yours?
I hope someone grabs him, he’s a likeable young bloke.

He’s versatile enough to play all roles that Dean can play except interceptor which is the point of difference I highlighted, and the reason I suspect Dean was preferred.

Ruscoe’s Anzac Day game last year when replacing Murphy was very good.
Yeah, Dean projects to an AFL role - Trey doesn't. Good state league player, but who does he match up on in the AFL and does he offer enough in terms of intercept or rebound to find him someone he can play off?

Last edited:
I think you'll take someone else in the end. He's a good player, but he just doesn't project to an AFL role - classic inbetweener.

Yeah, Dean projects to an AFL role - Trey doesn't. Good state league player, but who does he match up on in the AFL and does he offer enough in terms of intercept or rebound to find him someone he can play off?
He took his opportunity on Anzac Day last year, - big game, and pressure. Great kick I50 to hit Ginnivan? for a goal in the last QTR, when the game was in the balance.
So I don’t agree that he can’t step up to AFL.
For our gameplan, I don’t think he has the intercept game, or the ability to think quickly and speed of ball movement suffers - but that could be an issue with confidence.

He took his opportunity on Anzac Day last year, - big game, and pressure. Great kick I50 to hit Ginnivan? for a goal in the last QTR, when the game was in the balance.
So I don’t agree that he can’t step up to AFL.
For our gameplan, I don’t think he has the intercept game, or the ability to think quickly and speed of ball movement suffers - but that could be an issue with confidence.
Not that he can't step up. If you watch that game again, he struggled as a tall in the first, had his role shifted and played well in the second half. The issue is he just doesn't have the skillset to hold down a role. He's not damaging enough to play loose and who does he match up on against when playing a good forward line? I hope someone drafts him and plays him on Mihocek, Elliott, Hill, or Cox. AFL smalls will turn him inside out and he's not good enough in the air for talls.

I think you'll take someone else in the end. He's a good player, but he just doesn't project to an AFL role - classic inbetweener.
I hope you’re right but just don’t be surprised. Speaking of tweeners, also don’t see all the fuss about Hutchinson. Any Collingwood VFL watchers that can pump his tyres up?

I am surprised Weagles have been playing him forward. To me he is the ideal budget Hurn replacement as his ball use down back is at a high level and his one on one is not bad. I do think he is a 100-200 game player at the right club/position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you’re right but just don’t be surprised. Speaking of tweeners, also don’t see all the fuss about Hutchinson. Any Collingwood VFL watchers that can pump his tyres up?
He does some good things but needs a lot of improvement to be best 22 at any club. Maybe he is someone you can develop where he could be a 30 goal third tall forward.

He does some good things but needs a lot of improvement to be best 22 at any club. Maybe he is someone you can develop where he could be a 30 goal third tall forward.
I think we’re ok when Oscar comes back in a couple of weeks with him, Waterman and Maric so hard pass from us. A couple of good KP options in the WAFL if they make it to the Pies pick.

You'd be excited by the flashes in the VFL if he was an 18 year old draftee. But he's Not a good VFL player yet. It's hard to say as a 22 year old who hasn't had a normal pathway.

Would be an excellent pickup. Tall enough although overhead not the best, , strong, decent pace, a booming kick, has a lot of the attributes needed.

On Begg, once he was down in the rooms, stretcher came out to carry him further and his knee swelled. He’s out for the season from what I know. Source for this was rostered on with the Pies, saw it firsthand, goes with what we know.

Now turn our attention to a likely ruck in the MSD.

On Begg, once he was down in the rooms, stretcher came out to carry him further and his knee swelled. He’s out for the season from what I know. Source for this was rostered on with the Pies, saw it firsthand, goes with what we know.

Injury report already confirmed MCL and PCL damage so this isn’t really breaking news.

Not that he can't step up. If you watch that game again, he struggled as a tall in the first, had his role shifted and played well in the second half. The issue is he just doesn't have the skillset to hold down a role. He's not damaging enough to play loose and who does he match up on against when playing a good forward line? I hope someone drafts him and plays him on Mihocek, Elliott, Hill, or Cox. AFL smalls will turn him inside out and he's not good enough in the air for talls.
QFT

I like Trey, wish him well, a good state league CHB. At AFL level, he is too small and has to play as a flanker. To be an AFL quality flanker you need a weapon. You have to be either:

An interceptor (Langdon)
A rebounder (Noble)
A negator (Tooves)

Of course the really elite ones are bloody good at all 3.

Trey isn’t bloody good at any of them. It’s not that he is bad at any of them, but there just isn’t a weapon. He does take the occasional nice mark, but is no aerialist. He is a nice neat kick when rebounding, but is no pacy metres gained king. He diligently sticks to his man, but as mentioned in that last sentence above is limited on who he can match up on…

If he's out for the season, it gives us two spots in the MSD.
A ruck and a tall forward?

Teakle and Callow
Neither. I think we’ll go for younger players, boost our age demographic at that end.

Callow hasn’t set the world on fire for Norwood, even if his ceiling is far higher and he’s what we need. Teakle is starring in a weak league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back